Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

eva243

Jan 29, 2009
Symphony of the Night is a good Castlevania game, but I still personally think Bloodlines was the best. It was creative and very very unforgiving D:

ATmatey36

Apr 12, 2011
Nice, I played this game on PSN a few months ago for the first time and of all the things the game does well is the amazing soundtrack, I couldn't believe how well they could create the atmosphere for their respective areas. The graphics looked surprisingly good since I really liked the art style and the various special effects some of the weapons/shields had.

Sure the voice acting was bad, but you could just laugh at it and/or ignore it, not like it had any in-depth story anyway. Probably what bothered me the most was the serious imbalance in difficulty, at the beginning some bosses could be hard but after getting to the inverted castle there's pretty much nothing that could present a challenge for you anymore, especially if you got the Crissaegrim. It just goes to show what I think; a metroid style game is at its best when it's really close to actually being metroid, like Cave Story or Arkham Asylum, RPG elements have no place in it.

evilengine

Nov 20, 2009
well that was nice to see. Always wanted to play Symphony, options are to fork out for the PS1 game or a console to download the SOB from, either way my wallet will be chewed up and spat out.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
How funny you should do this review now! Summer Vaccation just let out for (some of) us, and I decided to get in some wholesome gaming. Symphony of the Night was the first game I considered settling into. But sadly I can't play the game anymore. I loved it when it was still fresh for me. But I've played the game over 20 times now. I know all the spells and special moves- not by conventional memory, but rather by muscle memory. No matter how much I change up the game, or equip weaker items to make the experience harder, I just can't get interested anymore.

SotN is one of those rare games they don't make anymore (Shadow Complex aside). It's awesome for those that have played it less than 5 times. :) There really needs to be more games like it, too.

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
Why did the first two posters get warnings?

Also, nice review! I've been meaning to pick this up for the PSP, since it's so well suited for it. Also, I just finished Outland. I had a lot of fun with that game...same style. though probably not as much depth.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Hmm, the escapist is a bit slow isn't it
*looks at watch*

Oh, it's Wednesday....

But yeah, I like the Random retro review, made a nice change.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Retro. Nice.

Great review and all but I want you to rip MK a new one. Possibly 'cause I never played SotN

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Alucard = Dracula backards!? Mind = Blown.

Strangely I was complaining about the lack of variety of enemies in Fable 3 only a couple of hours ago - that this game had such a large range and was for the ps1 makes me more disapointed at the current gen's variety.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I love this game and Yahtzee is pretty much spot on, as usual.

I wonder if he ever found the Crissaegrim sword in the upside down castle library...if he did, then I imagine he would've said that that weapon could make the poison cloud transformation seem like sheer and utter nonsense, except for reaching places that would normally have made life slightly difficult for Alucard.

CMWaters

Sep 17, 2008
I really need to get back to playing that sometime.

Would comment about the Alucard name being a US creation, but it seems I was beaten to the punch already.

Also, I did find it funny when I found out the intro scene was used for the game "I Want To Be The Guy" and you could die by wine glass.

Jan 9, 2011
S1leNt RIP said:
Why did the first two posters get warnings?
Almost any comments that are posted within 5 minutes of the video's release are automatically met with consequence, because the users obviously haven't had time to watch the video yet, so their contributions are usually just seen as useless and attention-seeking.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hahaha, i downloaded this on Xbox A last week when it went on sail myself, so this is a surprise.
Its my first Castlevanina and so far im loving it, as lost as i am...
It looks great, plays, great, and even sounds great.

The music in this game is awesome.
Ranging from Classical Symphony to Rock and Metal.
And a lot of it is very chilling.
The Chapel theme had my skin crawling at how good and creepy it was.

Nov 12, 2010
It's actually funny how much props from "Castelvania: SotN" they reused in their next handheld Castlevania incarnations. I probably should replay it as well, since I absolutely loved it (duh!). Yeah and Alucard's wooden batons are kick-ass! One more thing: Legion was one creepy mofo boss! Probably the scariest one I ever faced.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I was so suprised when I saw this on the main page. I bought this on the XBLA just last sunday due to the sale.

Ofcourse before I decide to buy it I basically did research on the entire series to see how much I'd like it. Yep when something's being sold for 400MS I'm still going to be cheap about it.