Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Ooooooohhhhhh, someone doesn't know their horror movies!

The name "Alucard" wasn't a creation of the Castlevania series, it originated from the 1943 Universal movie, Son of Dracula.

NKnight

Jul 31, 2010
That was nice, I vote for more retro game reviews, they're always fun to watch. :)

Do Tetris! :D

aristos_achaion

Dec 30, 2008
Actually, I think you were spot-on with Portal 2...at least, you were the first reviewer I saw to call it out on the over-long connecting sequences where I felt like I was playing "Where's Waldo" with portalable walls.

Excellent retro review...you really ought to do this sort of thing more often. Maybe folks will appreciate your snark more when they don't have $50-$60 of confirmation bias going against it.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Again, certainly not expected.

A good and fair critique of the game. I'm really surprised that he never had the chance to play it until now. I always found it amusing that the XBLA version was a literal direct port of the PS version, and that it came out on Xbox before the PSN.

If you're like Yahtzee and missed out on this game when it originally came out please make it a priority to download a copy of it.

Fleeker

Jan 24, 2011
Gigaguy64 said:
Hahaha, i downloaded this on Xbox A last week when it went on sail myself, so this is a surprise.
Its my first Castlevanina and so far im loving it, as lost as i am...
It looks great, plays, great, and even sounds great.

The music in this game is awesome.
Ranging from Classical Symphony to Rock and Metal.
And a lot of it is very chilling.
The Chapel theme had my skin crawling at how good and creepy it was.

2 things explore everything thoroughly come back and explore with new skills....things are hidden in walls, like items and passages.

Also find the inverted castle before fighting the final boss.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I always love the retro game reviews, but why now? Maybe nothing came out last week, but what about the week before, or before that? There have been a lot of great games recently. Also, I'd love to hear your reaction of Brink's single player, since it's MP focused everybody only talk about that.

blaquenoise

Jan 1, 2010
I wish I would have waited to buy this on my MGS4 PS3 instead of on my 360 when it dropped cause the d-pad sucks. Trying to pull off some of the spells for the achievements are just way to damn hard.

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
Is it strange that I missed the CGI cutscenes and the oh-so-cheesy ending song that were taken out of the XBLA version?

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
Well, here's something nobody expected today!
But a well deserved review nonetheless. Loved it!
Especially since it made me all nostalgic and I have it sitting on XBLA right now, begging to be replayed.

Quite right on how games like this can't be made anymore right now.
Even games that do require a bit of thought (Portal 2) take you by the hand most of the time.

This one just gives you a big **** YOU when you're stuck or missed an ability somewhere.
And don't we just all secretly love that? :p

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Youn know one thing games today could stand to do that this one did is have more different types of enemies.

And not just the same one but now a different color.

venn2011

Apr 15, 2011
I agree that this is a good and fair review. And as some people already said, maybe he should do some more retro reviews to see if few other classics have survived the test of time.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
I wonder if he ever found the Crissaegrim sword in the upside down castle library...if he did, then I imagine he would've said that that weapon could make the poison cloud transformation seem like sheer and utter nonsense, except for reaching places that would normally have made life slightly difficult for Alucard.
I'm guessing not, that sword is so freakishly overpowered it's absurd. Four huge (long range and covers a good vertical range too) & high-speed slashes (that don't stop you from moving) per button press on a sword with a reasonably high damage output.... for each swing; not only that, you can dual-wield it. Two Crissaegrims plus two Rings of Varda (the game made great use of names from The Simarillion) plus button-mashing equals the final boss being dead in a matter of a couple seconds.

Either way, it's fairly clear Yahtzee didn't spend the time needed to acquire many (if any) of the absurdly overpowered items you can get late in the game; that particular flaw would've almost certainly been mentioned in his review. Most of them are random drops (nothing too absurd for rarity, usually), but there's a good chance he would acquire at least one going through the Inverted Castle. That being said, the sheer variety of fun weapons you can get in the game is mind-boggling; many of the late-game & horrifically overpowered ones have some incredibly fun effects (including hidden moves; for example, you can pull a variation of the Hadouken using the Fist of Tulkas using the same button combination), they just have the unfortunate tendency to suck a lot of challenge (not that there's a lot to begin with) out of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Symphony of the Night.... but damn, it didn't just have one broken weapon; it had the entire bloody armoury!

getbonus

Sep 14, 2010
This is the third week in a row Yahtzee's review has been fair, accurate, and even-handed. Just what is he up to?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Grey_Focks said:
It's safe to say I was not expecting that. In fact, I even prepared a big rant on you not bothering to play any of the multiplayer for Brink...

My afternoon is ruined.
Brink isn't out until Thursday in Australia. And even if it was out on Tuesday like in North America, did you really expect him to buy it, play it, write a script, perform the script, make all the drawings/the rest of the video, and hand it off in just a day?

Don't expect Brink next week either. A few years of old episodes tells us that new games don't get reviewed that close to their launch dates.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Fleeker said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Hahaha, i downloaded this on Xbox A last week when it went on sail myself, so this is a surprise.
Its my first Castlevanina and so far im loving it, as lost as i am...
It looks great, plays, great, and even sounds great.

The music in this game is awesome.
Ranging from Classical Symphony to Rock and Metal.
And a lot of it is very chilling.
The Chapel theme had my skin crawling at how good and creepy it was.

2 things explore everything thoroughly come back and explore with new skills....things are hidden in walls, like items and passages.

Also find the inverted castle before fighting the final boss.
Yea, once i got the Leap Stone i found a wealth of new areas.
Im starting to run into doors that require the Myst transformation so i have a feeling that ill find it next, i already have the Wolf.
And for inverted Castle, i need to have the Golden Goggles and one other Golden Object before the fight with Ricther right?

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
After a while I enjoyed Symphony for it's exploration and progression, but the combat is really pretty lame most of the time. Also, I finished with the shield that, when used with the shield rod, causes massive damage to anything that stands in front of you. Say, for example the final boss, who has no where else to go. I just put my shield in its face and waited for it to die.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Curious why he bothered to mention Mortal Kombat. I'm guessing it was merely for the sake of adding another joke. Can't imagine he'd review another fighting game if he could actually get his hands on it.