Zero Punctuation: Cave Story - Heart and Art

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Transdude1996 said:
Zefar said:
Fractral said:
I remember loving Cave Story until the section where it randomly takes away all your weapon levels and makes you complete a bullshit precision platforming section filled with bullshit enemies.
After spending several hours dying repeatedly I decided that I was obviously not good enough for the game and quit. I haven't played it since and I don't really want to.
Do you mean the secret ending part? If so it was meant to be hard. But you could still level up your weapons so not sure where you got that from.
He's talking about the area right after the last boss battle in the desert zone.
The one where you kill Toroko. After doing that, you get thrown into a prison type place (Which is the one Fractral is talking about). Once you get out, then you fight all those cockroaches.
Looked it up on Youtube and I don't get the problem. It's just standard gameplay in the game. The enemies ain't unreasonable at all.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Ha! You sift through games as quickly as me. Also Super Metroid let you down in the end? Yeah, I wish they added more challenge to it too.

Kittenmauler

Aug 19, 2009
Wtf is with the video player, won't let me adjust the sound or go backwards. Now I have to wait until someone uploads it to youtube.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Yet another Yahtzee video I'm unable to pause because of the video player.

That does it. Lisa Foiles, Jimquisition, Extra Credits, The Big Picture, and Loading Ready Run are gone from this site. Yahtzee's content isn't worth disabling certain browser extensions for. Critical Miss and Full Frontal Nerdity may as well be old Garfield comics for their lack of comedic value. And the writers of the articles don't know a damn thing about journalism.

Escapist, you no longer have any accessible providers of worthwhile content left. I've been visiting this site for about nine years, and now I'm done. I would delete my account, but it looks like the only way I can do that is to contact a mod. Not worth the effort when all I have to do is log out and clear my browser history.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
Transdude1996 said:
I'm a bit surprised that no one has made a crack about the fact that finding Curly's panties unlocks the mode where she and Quote trade placed.

Also, completing the secret ending on Cave Story is an achievement all on it's own because
you have to navigate the labyrinth where the walls, ceiling, and floor cause insta-death, make it through a room with the ceiling falling in top of you, make it through another corridor with enemies, fight a boss and not get killed by him when you do finally beat him, and then fight a four stage final boss.

By the way, while I've yet to see if this is true, there is supposedly a fourth ending where fewer of the characters die, but the qualification is to save Toroko about 15 minutes after she's kidnapped (And those 15 minutes do include the cutscenes).
Given the Cave Story TAS doesn't even enter Sand Zone until 16 minutes I'm probably gonna call bull on this one

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Am I the only one that thought this was a sequel to that Double Fine game from a few years back? The Cave? That was confusing. Anyway this sounds really interesting. Like an indie Yoko Taro game (Drakengard/Neir), that about right?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I feel like I'm one of the few that doesn't care about all the teases that he shows, I still want my fucking Kingdom Hearts review.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
thanatos388 said:
Am I the only one that thought this was a sequel to that Double Fine game from a few years back? The Cave? That was confusing. Anyway this sounds really interesting. Like an indie Yoko Taro game (Drakengard/Neir), that about right?
No, some people actually survive Cave Story.
If you go through hell to do it.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Kittenmauler said:
Wtf is with the video player, won't let me adjust the sound or go backwards. Now I have to wait until someone uploads it to youtube.
Psst: the Video DownloadHelper add-on for Firefox still works.

ShiningMetaLord

Nov 9, 2012
There was the jetpack deal, and then there was the deal immediately afterwards where an essential item to get the best ending is in a corner while your friend is nowhere near it. There's a lot of things like that the game never tells you about, not even vague hints.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
It's been too long; all I can remember is something about how getting the best ending (or maybe it was just getting the best ending but keeping the Spur?) requires you to make this one seemingly-impossible jump without either the jetpack or the machine gun ? and so there's a distinctive little mark on one of the blocks to indicate exactly where you're supposed to hit the jump button. I can only imagine the developer was getting constantly badgered by players insisting that the jump could not be done.

Was there very much changed in the "Plus" edition for sale on Steam in comparison to the free version?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
It's really hard to hate Cave Story, what with all that heart and excellent gameplay going for it. But being asked to play $15 for a ten year old game certainly makes not hating it a challenge.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
I still have not finished the secret final level to this day.

(Thinking about it still gives me nightmares)
(Hands reflexively pressed up->right->up to survive the first spiky section)

baba44713

Sep 25, 2008
Hey, I'm one of the people who still have the initial free version on their PC. It's seriously $15 now?

I was always a fan of the game (although I think there are slightly better solo developed indie games there, such as Untitled Story for example) but the secret ending annoyed me quite a bit. It's one thing to make it hard to acquire, and quite another to create a completely cryptic and obtuse series of prerequisites which one can only get by replaying the game dozens of times and trying out every conceivable combination of actions (and even then it's not a sure thing). I like how Yahtzee handled it with his Poacher - you beat the game once, and you pretty much get a direct hint about what to do the 2nd time around to get the "real" ending. Cave Story doesn't care, you are either one of those poor cave dwellers who actually figured out how to get the ending by themselves, or belong to other 99.999% who read about it on the web.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
The 3DS remake was pretty bad. I mean, it was the same game, but more visually busy making it harder to maneuver. In the bonus level that was...less than great.

Captcha: "it hurts"...Uh oh, Chzo is coming...

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
kimiyoribaka said:
I may have too high of standards, but I was unsatisfied with the characters in cave story. The main thing I felt Yahtzee's game Poacher did better was having the characters react in ways that were emotionally fitting to what they were reacting to. In cave story people die and it's like the player is expected to just ignore it.
Yeah.. Still a fun and creative little title, but I had that gripe as well. I mean, you're essentially punished with a lesser ending when you decide "not" to leave the jet pack guy for dead.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Stop pushing Hatfall so much, it's an extremely simple game that wasn't even executed properly.

With all your nitpicking at videogames one would hope you could push out more than this kind of tripe.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
baba44713 said:
Hey, I'm one of the people who still have the initial free version on their PC. It's seriously $15 now?
"Cave Story+", the "enhanced" edition, costs $15. But there's nothing at all wrong with the initial free version. There's even a nice "deluxe" package available at http://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php .

Apparently the cartridge release of the 3DS version has become one of those preposterously rare and expensive things.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
But...Rocket league is actually really good. This coming from someone who tries to ignore football and racing. No story though, that may be the clencher.

Edit: I was there! #ragdollstegasaurus2015
Check out Yahtzee's Let's Drown Out series. He uploaded a vídeo of him playing Rocket League today. Says he likes it quite a lot, mostly because he's so good at it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
But...Rocket league is actually really good. This coming from someone who tries to ignore football and racing. No story though, that may be the clencher.

Edit: I was there! #ragdollstegasaurus2015
Check out Yahtzee's Let's Drown Out series. He uploaded a vídeo of him playing Rocket League today. Says he likes it quite a lot, mostly because he's so good at it.
Yup, sundays have themselves an hour or two set aside for Yahtzee n Gabe's courtship experience :). Admittidly, a slight childish joy was felt upon first glancing Rocket League in his drown out yesterday. He has finally succumbed to the seductive waters of manic, nitros, hoppie ball abuse!