Zero Punctuation: Child of Day-Light - Horror and Whimsy

Jan 27, 2011
Sometimes I forget Yatzee is a poet. XD (goes back to watch his FTL poem again. It was awesome.)

Also, you LIE, Yatzee! That "luminary" pun was TOTALLY intended! It HAS to have been!

Otherwise, as a huge maker of puns myself, I'll have to be both severely disappointed AND very jealous.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, child of light is getting critical acclaim. But I think thats more because of the weird place we're at with feminism right now. All the game critics and journos heard that a new artsy game is coming out staring a young girl and they flipped their shit. Not only do they get to praise an artsy game and act like they're real journalists as opposed to bloggers with delusions of grandeur, but they also gained some cred for when they accidentally say something that causes tumblr to freak out and attempt to get them lynched for no reason.

Catasros

Dec 9, 2013
I get the feeling that if you make a horror game about a haunted hospital, asylum, unnecessarily huge mansion, poetry clubhouse, whatever and let the player character just a random person that simply really really need to borrow a toilet and is no longer stingy or something like that, you break some kind of unwritten rule... But then, if the Player Character WAS unrelated to the house they would probably run away at the first sound of a messed-up rhyme...

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
At the end, wasn't that just a slant rhyme? Granted that's not perfect but still within the rule-book right?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Well, I could get into fighting bad poetry.

Falsename said:
Yahtzee, you are the king of comedy.
You made a rhyme.

I feel semi-guilty that I don't even care about whether you're recommending or condemning a game I just want to hear your unique accident tell another funny.

Keep it up funny man.
Considering most people just want to see him hate on a game unless it's one they like, I'm pretty sure it's an upgrade to see people just want entertainment.

Though it is weird to think "dance, monkey, dance" might be an improvement, it probably beats "tell me I'm pretty and that all the other girls are ugly tramps!"

jurnag12 said:
Or the weekly poetry show.

Although, in all fairness, he did just use that to rhyme 'Traffic cone' with 'Xbox One', so Yahtzee's not infallible either.
Ken might have been indicating Yahtzee's poems sucked, though. Of course, the alternative is a pet peeve of mine, since it's much harder to make something good than to know it's good, so insisting one be able to produce something of quality before they can comment on quality is absurd.

But still, maybe he just doesn't like Yahtzee's poetry.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hdawger said:
At the end, wasn't that just a slant rhyme? Granted that's not perfect but still within the rule-book right?
People make their own rules for what's acceptable and some are very hardcore in enforcing them. Especially poets and writers.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
While I can usually put up with all dialog in a game purposefully rhyming, I at least expect it to be done well.

If this is the case with Child of Light, then I imagine it would annoy me about as much as it seems to have annoyed Yahtzee.

Ken_J said:
What the fuck Yahtzee. How dare you slam a game for an entirely Poetic script. While I haven't played the game heard that it's poetry is amazingly beautiful and it was probably hard for someone to wright all that. And I don't see YOU do any better...
Please, please, please tell me you're being facetious...

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
I always enjoy it when Yahtzee talks about poetry. Hardly a week goes by that I don't go back to re-listen to his reading of an Ode to Melancholy. Even though it's just an excerpt.

There has been a lot of disparity in the whole light/dark department lately, I can't help but wonder why that is.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Ken_J said:
What the fuck Yahtzee. How dare you slam a game for an entirely Poetic script. While I haven't played the game heard that it's poetry is amazingly beautiful and it was probably hard for someone to wright all that. And I don't see YOU do any better...
You probably weren't aware that Yahtzee and Jim do a video series that's Poetry:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/articles/Jim%20And%20Yahtzee

But yeah, if you haven't played the game, you don't know how good the poetry is. Second hand opinion isn't solid.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
That Falkor\Dogcycle must be one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen. Good going :D

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I found the "poetry" in Child of Light extremely irritating as well. Don't use rhyme just because you have to use it, it doesn't work.

The rest of the game was fairly generic too, I did like the combat system though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow I guess I am one of the very few people who weren't bother by the rhyming dialoge in Child of Light at all? In saying so my English aren't that good for me to cared about it or get frustrated trying to dicypher what's going on from the dialoge.
Still it's a fantastic game abliet it quite short but that what you get for £12.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
BWAHAHAHA! The last 45 seconds of this video made me laugh harder than anything I've seen from ZP in a while (and every episode amuses me). Something about the vehemence with which he explained the failure of poetry was just extra...animated.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I just find child of light so damn boring. At least the old RPGs of yore it's mimicking had some goddamn depth and challenge to them.

CindicareMint

Mar 14, 2014
That terrible rhyming would drive me nuts too, so now I know to avoid Child of Light if I'm tempted by a sale.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Yes...that Daylight movie was much the same fare...honestly, were I a customer, I'd feel slightly had.

lacktheknack said:
* * *​

I watched the review you just name-dropped,
And that scholar has to be stopped.
His rhymes are the bomb,
Achieved with aplomb,
I think my brain may have just popped.

[small][sub]Bugger this for a game of soldiers; this shit's difficult.[/sub][/small]

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
"Ice Dentist"

That floored me. And now I'm curious as to what the ice monster looks like to warrant that comparison.

Barbas said:

I watched the review you just name-dropped,
And that scholar has to be stopped.
His rhymes are the bomb,
Achieved with aplomb,
I think my brain may have just popped.

[small][sub]Bugger this for a game of soldiers; this shit's difficult.[/sub][/small]
Would you kindly removed the word "just"?
For this rhyme, I feel it's a must
Because, as you know
It messed up the flow
This post to a long time to write.

Man, that is hard. Still, they were just working with couplets. I'm sure they could've come up with a way to do it without having it sound too forced, right?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Accidental double post. Where the heck is the delete button on this site? I've been here for two years and I never really needed to use it. Eh, I'll just wait and hope a mod notices.