Zero Punctuation: Child of Day-Light - Horror and Whimsy

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I quite liked the the dreamy melancholy feel of child of light. It reflects my dubious state of mind. But then i am just an over-emotional twat, so...

Can see why the writing fustrates him. As an aspiring writer of many types who is very self critical, the often piss poor poetry in the game made me fairly annoyed that i could come up with better on a drunken afternoon...yet this guy must have got paid quite well for his shambles. Im certain sir Ben must have felt a similar sting as a writer himself.

Though...like a slow child with strange enthusiasm...i appreciate that they sortof tried this. Just have to not register it on a personal level.

Jack Gardner

Jan 8, 2011
I reviewed Child of Light myself and while there were definitely some instances of the rhyming scheme stretching to stay consistent, I wasn't overly bothered by it (and that's coming from someone who also has a large degree of respect for poetry/a degree in English). I usually think that Yahtzee is spot on with his criticisms, but I don't think that getting hung up on Child of Light's lack of iambic pentameter or strange rhythm is one of his best critiques. He's perfectly entitled to his own opinion, but I'd just like to counter with my own view: Child of Light's story, music, art style, and game mechanics all work together cohesively and compliment one another to create a very great experience that I expect will be remembered as a classic. Yes, the poetry isn't grade A, but it is a small issue compared to the immense amount of good the game provides in terms of story, powerful female characters, and an RPG battle system that can appeal outside of traditional RPG audiences.

At $15, I'd recommend you give it a shot.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
thejboy88 said:
I had not idea that Yahtzee was so strict when it came to poetry.
Considering that he's both a writer, and on a video about poetry, that's the first thing I was waiting for, even more since every person I've seen talking about the game says the rhyming's the worse part about the game.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I thought Child of Light was enjoyable. Lovely art-style, simple enough combat set-up, difficulty options that can bypass grinding; but that poetry rant got a laugh.

My issue about the rhyming was that they don't explore the character who doesn't know how to rhyme more. The poor girl's escaped this poetic curse they're under, but all can they do is correct her after every sentence, like a verbal tic. There's some tragic undertone somewhere in there.

Hannah

May 16, 2014
Yahtzee is off about the rhyme scheme. It's not intended to be pentameter or all couplets. Those two words Yahtzee lists weren't even intended to rhyme: http://blog.ubi.com/child-light-poetry-motion/

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Fox12 said:
I think Yahtzee's last line may be my new favorite of all time : P
I don't know if I can say that but it is pretty close. it does still have to compete with the end of his end halo wars video.

prats93

Mar 27, 2014
Couldn't agree more with Child of Light. An awfully mediocre game with terrible writing, which should surprise no one since it was written from the guy that wrote Far Cry 3.

prats93

Mar 27, 2014
KDR_11k said:
Child of Light was written by the same guy as Far Cry 3. That doesn't sound like a good thing considering he was whining how nobody got his great vision in FC3 about how your character is just making it all up. Now this. Seems he's overrating himself.
Lol, when a writer complains that the audience didn't appreciate the "depth" and meaning of his script you know the story is just pretentious, navel gazing tosh. Thankfully we only played Far Cry 3 to hunt tigers and shoot jerks in the face.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
KDR_11k said:
Child of Light was written by the same guy as Far Cry 3. That doesn't sound like a good thing considering he was whining how nobody got his great vision in FC3 about how your character is just making it all up. Now this. Seems he's overrating himself.
Indeed; it seems there is a fine line between creative and schizophrenic.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
The best part about Child of Light is the character that doesn't rhyme and the other characters constantly correct her.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I didn't really understand the ending, as funny as it was. I thought you could rhyme delicious and ravenous by way of end/slant rhyme, since they both end in "ous"??