Zero Punctuation: Daikatana - John Romero's B****

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Scarim Coral said:
Danm, I was really hoping this week was Five Night At Freddy's. I know it was out weeks ago but still given that it's the dry period of game release now.
What? A review? Wouldn't it be better if he played through it? I'm sure the scariness would lead to some really scared reactions from Yahtzee.
It would be awesome, since Yahtzee has himself admitted to be fucking terrified of mascots.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
I really like these brief historical snippets, and considering the occasionally baffling history of video games, I'm guessing we'll see some more of them in the future.
Now to find that Deus Ex-song he made years ago...

EDIT: Ah, it's after the Guitar Hero World Tour review. Thanks Google/search engine of your preference.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I forgot about The Consuming Shadow. Still waiting for Fun Space Game, myself. I don't specifically remember what it was supposed to be about, but the name certainly jumps out at me.

The Dead Singer

Feb 19, 2014
Ah, Yahtzee. I just knew the chance to comment on Ferguson was just too tempting to let it go. You sneaky, witty little bastard.

PS: Silent Hills P.T.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Loki_The_Good said:
Given the joke uses the word retarded and that's what we're talking about here I thought it was obvious we were talking about mental disabilities. That might be on me and if so fair enough I apologize for being unclear.
I will try to keep in mind that's how you mean it, but "mental disabilities" does not mean the same thing as "learning disabilities." I'm not trying to be a dick about it; just giving you a heads up.

Loki_The_Good said:
No nothing can take it away but this is about whether the joke has a right to exist or should be condemned.
Jokes have no rights. Only creatures do. Mr. Croshaw has a right to tell that joke, and anyone who hears it has a right to criticize the joke. They are not mutually exclusive rights, and are in fact a facet of the same single right to free speech.

Loki_The_Good said:
I am not taking pleasure in someone else pain. I am saying the possibility that somebody might upset at something that might give me pleasure is not an excuse to deride it one way or another.
I am pretty sure no one has done that, but okay.

zerabp

Aug 30, 2011
"Ha Ha we used to think three years was a long time"

This made me laugh more than the rest of the episode which was still hilarious!

Thanks Yahtzee!

Nion

Dec 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure the game industry has outsourced treating its audience with giggling contempt to the journalists.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I know I should be reflecting on the lessons Yahtzee related to us (that none of us will remember two days later in the subsequent hangovers), but I only came away from this video with two things:

1) Daikatana is on Steam.
2) I need to get Daikatana.

Karmik

Feb 2, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
Atmos Duality said:
Well, I'll credit Romero one thing: He did give us "I can't leave without my buddy, Superfly.
A phrase so ridiculous and strangely, so conducive towards co-op gaming. (even if it's in a semi-sarcastic sort of way)
Hell, the name 'Superfly' alone is already strange if you ask me.
Super Fly is a blacksploitation movie from 1972. Very popular movie and part of a meme much beloved by Quentin Tarantino.

ParoXoN

Nov 21, 2007
Exterminas said:
I really love this new jingle. Is that wierd?
Not at all!

Because virtually none of you have been clamouring for it (except possibly you, Exterminas), here's the OGRMGH theme score arranged by my friend Req:
http://imgur.com/FFLRyW8

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
Danm, I was really hoping this week was Five Night At Freddy's. I know it was out weeks ago but still given that it's the dry period of game release now.
Five Nights at Freddy's is a really insubstantial game, since it has very simple mechanics and can be beaten in around 30-40 minutes if the player knows what they're doing (and with a ton of deaths it just gets repetitive). It's the kind of thing he'd either do in an indie roundup on or mention briefly in his Extra Punctuation article.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Bolo The Great said:
Hey Yahtzee, remember now you can't say "Retard" or everyone will get their kickers in a twist defending imaginary people and morally grandstanding like massive swinging dicks.

This is the man who pretty much made a catch-phrase of "Tripple cunted hooker", you've come to the wrong neighborhood to peddle your overly politically correct joke-police crap.

Now lets all wrap ourselves in bubble wrap and never say mean things ever ever again,
So retards are imaginary people, then? Your opening sentence might need some clarification, because I've seen some retards, and they were very real.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I think what gets me is that this game didn't really kill the "auteur" in gaming, in fact far from it. They just swept it under the rug and claimed "Nah, he was just a douche from the beginning. Now help indulge MY pet project that clearly has nothing but contempt for its players." David Cage is one example, boldly stepping out like some sort of authority on story-telling when in fact his stories are absolute crap and his insecurities over the lack of maturity in them exposes him for what he really is. Another is Phil Fish who I need not expand upon. TamTam over at Ninja Theory is another offender, clearly having no idea of how to deal with criticism and outright gets hostile with people. And of course old Dennis Dyack at Silicon Knights who drove his company into oblivion due to arrogance issues.

It seems to me that the auteur in gaming is something we should avoid as everyone who does think of themselves as this great visionary/revolutionary tend to expose themselves as hacks. In fact, it's the guys who just treat gaming as their jobs and think of games as toys who tend to be the true visionaries who are remembered. Miyamoto, Matsuno, Sakaguchi, Sakurai, the guys who basically don't HAVE an ego tend to be better. This is probably due to how gaming is even more a collaborative effort than movies, film, or any other medium. When people in that environment put aside their ego the game turns out better. Auteurs just drag it down and ruin it, leaving a mess that appeals to them and no one else. They like to think they're making Godfathers and Tax Drivers, but all they're making are Heaven's Gates.