Zero Punctuation: Daikatana - John Romero's B****

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Fsyco said:
Scarim Coral said:
Danm, I was really hoping this week was Five Night At Freddy's. I know it was out weeks ago but still given that it's the dry period of game release now.
Five Nights at Freddy's is a really insubstantial game, since it has very simple mechanics and can be beaten in around 30-40 minutes if the player knows what they're doing (and with a ton of deaths it just gets repetitive). It's the kind of thing he'd either do in an indie roundup on or mention briefly in his Extra Punctuation article.
I dunno, he managed to get a review out of Ground Zero. If he can get a review of that he can get a review of anything.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Really laughed a lot at this one, Yahtzee is back to his best.

blackrave said:
Besides "retard" is also opposite of "forward"
Maybe Yahtzee used it in that way.
On one of his recent Let's Drown Out videos, he explicitly mentions that he doesn't feel any shame using the word 'retard' pejoratively because he's part of a culture where mocking someone is a sign of inclusion.

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
"-Bombards us enough with pre-rendered teasers....." (Uses P.T. for the image)
You lost a bit of respect, Yahtzee, P.T. is NOT a pre-rendered teaser/trailer......
Seriously, Yahtzee should at least take a look at P.T. before he shits all over it.......

Aside from that little gripe, good episode! I had a feeling that Yahtzee would do something for Daikatana ever since he mentioned it in his Deus Ex review.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Anachronox, the "other" Ion Storm game, has not been mentioned enough times in this thread already. It's on Steam, too!

Designed by Tom Hall (the other big Ion Storm developer from id, responsible for Commander Keen among other things), it's a turn-based RPG inspired by the likes of FFVII. It kind of feels like the whole thing is being desperately held together by hope and a prayer, and it finishes off with a bit of a non-ending, but it's a unique little twist on the genre and some of the writing is quite clever.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4!!!

*pants and wipes drool off chin*

DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4 DOOM 4!!!

Here's hoping the long development cycle curse doesn't hit my beloved DOOM. Though, from the sound of things, they scrapped everything and are starting fresh, so that's a good sign. Right? RIGHT?! GOD PLEASE BE GOOD I REALLY NEED THIS, MAN.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Loki_The_Good said:
-snip-

As someone with a few mental disabilities I found the whole "Retarded moments in retarded retards" joke absolutely.... hilarious.

Now let's all wait for someone with no disabilities to call you a horrible person on my behalf.
I think I'm a horrible person for starting out reading that second sentence in Yahtzee's jingle.

UmberHulk

Jun 4, 2014
You idiots just had to make a thing out of the word "retard" didn't you we could have gone this whole thread without getting into an other pc squabble if someone had just let it slip under the radar.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
On one of his recent Let's Drown Out videos, he explicitly mentions that he doesn't feel any shame using the word 'retard' pejoratively because he's part of a culture where mocking someone is a sign of inclusion.
You(I don't mean you specifically) can't assume that everyone has the same cultural values that?s ignorant well now I'm doing it to.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I'm not sure if it's common knowledge, but the translation of the game's title is basically "big sword".

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
erttheking said:
Fsyco said:
Scarim Coral said:
Danm, I was really hoping this week was Five Night At Freddy's. I know it was out weeks ago but still given that it's the dry period of game release now.
Five Nights at Freddy's is a really insubstantial game, since it has very simple mechanics and can be beaten in around 30-40 minutes if the player knows what they're doing (and with a ton of deaths it just gets repetitive). It's the kind of thing he'd either do in an indie roundup on or mention briefly in his Extra Punctuation article.
I dunno, he managed to get a review out of Ground Zero. If he can get a review of that he can get a review of anything.
That game was around and hour or two, had the whole "charging for a demo" controversy, and had quite alot of stuff packed into it (new combat mechanics, all that wonderful rape malarky that dominated these forums for a while, gutbombs, and most of Kojima's usual writing antics), and was already part of a large, established series. Fnaf, on the other hand, has extremely simple gameplay and minimal story (and getting the hidden backstory without consulting the wiki is an immersion-breaking pain in the rear), and there's no established canon for the series (although the game's dev has some other games). The only really noteworthy thing about it is the art style and presentation, and even though those are really good, I'm not sure he could base an entire 5 minute video around it.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Bolo The Great said:
This is the man who pretty much made a catch-phrase of "Tripple cunted hooker", you've come to the wrong neighborhood to peddle your overly politically correct joke-police crap.
Has it been so long that we've all forgotten "TrannyGate" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7959-Papers-Please-and-Brothers-A-Tale-of-Two-Sons]?

vdrandom

fsck
Dec 18, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
I would guess it's because he's Australian and he's complained before that in Australia an arbitrary number of months are added to every single release date.

As for the video itself I remember those ads where John Romero was gonna make me his *****, as it stands I'm still a virgin so sorry John, try again with Doom 4.
Cronenberg1 said:
No one has time to review or play games during pax. So no one comes out with any games. At least I think that's it.
I actually was talking about his speech lol. He sounds slower than usual.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
I laughed when I saw the title and then winced as it means new games are even thinner on the ground than normal.

There was a 10,000 word review of the game where someone tried to play it all the way through and commented on everything. Did not get all the way through it.

If John Romero had Twitter when he was making the game originally it would have been very amusing. Yes, I do know about the .plan files but that is a bit different.

A friend took 7 years to finish his documentary on Weng Weng including having it made as film about the B movie industry in the Philippines instead in the meantime. It is finished now and came up great.

The Game that Time Forgot is another example of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b0tSu0QDQ0

It took the author 13 years to finish the game due to over-ambition and lack of planning amongst other things.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
And yet Daikatana single player is better than Quake 3 single player, better than Quake 4 , better than DOOM 3, almost better than Desu Ex 2:IW, better than DNF, Better than Haze, Better than Pariah, better than alot of FPSs.....

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
Why is Daikatana on Steam is no one moderating any more. Sourly the bar can't be that low Yahtzee. I always considered Daikatana to be like one of dose old wife's tales you here so much about.

Mother: "Now listen son if you don't sit up state and make your video game properly your going to earn a place in history as one of the worst developers of al time."

John Romero: "What ever mum, you can't tell me what to do." As he skates of flipping his one the middle finger and gets hit by a speeding vehicle. Tragic.

beleester

Feb 22, 2011
JagerBombastic said:
Why is Daikatana on Steam is no one moderating any more. Sourly the bar can't be that low Yahtzee. I always considered Daikatana to be like one of dose old wife's tales you here so much about.
For the same reason that movie stores carry Plan 9 from Outer Space. It's not just bad, it's historically bad.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
JimB said:
The word "butthole" never stops being laugh-out-loud funny to me. It's possible I'm immature.
Trust me, I've tried maturity. It's overrated. Buttholes for all.
Thank you for making me join your immature-laughter-circle. This seems like a fun place to hang out.