Zero Punctuation: Dark Souls III

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
Is the video not playing for anyone, or is it just me? All I get is an ad for the Escapist Youtube channel (featuring clips from LRR, Jim Sterling and Movie Bob amount others, which are definitely still escapist things), but then no actual video...

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Sounds about right really I was hoping it would be an explosive climax to end the show but another good game that's more like BB than DKS2 is fine. Hopefully they are saving the explosiveness for the next project they are going to working on, which I'm surprised hasn't been leaked yet.

Perhaps a series where each game you play as someone progressively and obviously weaker than the previous protagonist so that by the time you get to the last game you get to kill the last majestic being from the age of the first game, your old character. I also get the feeling they could make an interesting Shadow of the Colossus type game if they want to introduce a completely new combat system on top of the old one now that everyone has basically got the hang of it.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
See, to me, Three was the game Two should've been. Two tried to set itself up as a different world/history tied into the events of One, but did it so badly that I just couldn't take it seriously. Like, it kept trying to pretend to be aloof and vague about the fact that it had elements from One's story, but actually couldn't WAIT to tell you all about it. That coupled with some frankly inexplicable decisions (Why the fuck is Ornstein there. Explain it to me, FromSoft.) along with generally poor enemy and level design just made the whole thing feel like a trite attempt to cash in on nostalgia.

Three on the other hand skips the middleman of trying to act coy about continuity and just gives us a competent sequel that moves the plot forward.

theproductofboredom

Nov 13, 2013
It may be the last Dark Souls game, but I just think that means they're moving on to spiritual successors like Bloodborne. Which I am totally, completely, 100% fine with.

I'm still of the opinion that Dark Souls didn't need a sequel, let alone two sequels.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Wait a minute, DS2 had level design?.... Really? That's news to me, because it looked to me B team had no idea what they were doing. Just look at the transition from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep, it's nonsensical

Also that ending analogy about the DLC was brilliant

Llarys

Aug 28, 2013
I think the biggest issue with DS3's gameplay balance at the moment is currently poise. Everything, me AND the enemies (sans a few weird exceptions that ARE NOT the bosses), just get bounced around like fucking ping-pong balls if we get hit. Slap a boss with my frostysword and he's stunlocked until I run out of a stamina. crab bites my toes and I'll be pinned against a tree until the RNG gods decide that the crab wants to retreat for some arbitrary reason. It's really, really bizarre.

It's one of those cases where they focused so hard on one small issues of PvP (giga poise tanks in PvP abusing their unflinching strides to ignore the other player's attacks and score infinite backstabs as a result), and breaking the whole game just to fix that. It's like I'm playing Runescape all over again, help.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
I have yet to buy a Souls game, since I already have enough titles already on my backlog and "Need to buy"-log, but I'm slightly curious about this given how I keep hearing the delivery of the titles. Could the Souls games be best summarized as a cross between Monster Hunter and a dark European fantasy RPG?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh shit, that's right. There's DLC. I wonder if this will cause an alternate ending like the Lost Crowns trilogy did.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Demon's Souls had a magic meter as well. If anything I'm surprised the other two Dark Souls didn't have one.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
I have yet to buy a Souls game, since I already have enough titles already on my backlog and "Need to buy"-log, but I'm slightly curious about this given how I keep hearing the delivery of the titles. Could the Souls games be best summarized as a cross between Monster Hunter and a dark European fantasy RPG?
I'd say Monster Hunter and Castlevania. I can see how you'd think it draws from European RPGs, but I don't think it does very much at all. The setting looks European, but in terms of writing it's all Japanese.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
I never found any weapon better than the starting saw in Bloodborne either. It was fast, had good reach, and strangely did more damage to everything. Others noticed the phenomenon as well.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
While it isn't particularly innovative, I do thing DS3 is much better designed than 2 or Bloodborne, though that purely comes down to preference. Still, as a greatest hits of the Souls series I enjoyed most of it. Some of the later bosses were able to kick my ass and stunlock me from here to Tuesday before I could get a quarter of their health down, and a few too many had moves that would 100-0 me faster than you can say "Lord of Cinder", but I still dug the art style (even though it was a bit cathedral heavy), and thought the combat was some of the best in the series. The one on one fights with knights were epecially great.

theproductofboredom said:
It may be the last Dark Souls game, but I just think that means they're moving on to spiritual successors like Bloodborne. Which I am totally, completely, 100% fine with.
Miyazaki said that's not a possibility right now

"There?s absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins. But I can't say for certain the possibility is 0%. For example, if a FROM Software developer come to me five years from now and beg "please let me make another Dark Souls". Then I will not rule out the possibility to let my subordinates start a new project. What is certain for now is, to me personally Dark Souls is over."

Miyazaki wanted to move on after Dark Souls 1, I can only imagine he's aching to do something new after 2,3, and Bloodborne.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Was Yahtzee's remark at the beginning about Jimmy Neutral the Sexless Gamer on Youtube about a specific person? Sounded oddly personal at least.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Dark Souls 2 better than 3? Well we all have our own opinions, comes off most odd to me but oh well.

Thanatos2k said:
I never found any weapon better than the starting saw in Bloodborne either. It was fast, had good reach, and strangely did more damage to everything. Others noticed the phenomenon as well.
Ludwig's Holy Blade 4 lyf.

Obbi

May 7, 2008
I like Dark Souls 3. I do miss a lot of the mechanics that were in 2, though. I was hoping that 3 would have the level and creature design of 1, with the mechanics of 2.

The weapon meta is dominated by Rapiers and Straight swords like the Long Sword. Part of that is poise being arbitrarily turned off, part of that is poor weapon balancing, part of that is the restrictive upgrade paths. The new Weapon Arts mechanic is pretty cool, even if some skills don't seem all that useful.

That's all mostly just a problem for PvP, and the game definitely feels like they didn't want to focus on that aspect much. That's okay, the areas and bosses are great. The retreads of areas from the first game was a lot of fun, though it may have had too many throwbacks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Miyazaki is a hack and Bloodbourne was cancer :^)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I couldn't tell if he liked this one better than II or not.
Jeff Loper said:
I am so using that quote about a trump oR Clinton presidency.
I liked how he kept them in the dark, so you couldn't tell who said "Pay me" and who said "FUCK YOU". Way to keep it balanced, in that everybody-sucks way.
C14N said:
Was Yahtzee's remark at the beginning about Jimmy Neutral the Sexless Gamer on Youtube about a specific person? Sounded oddly personal at least.
Doesn't seem like Yahtzee let go of his "friendly" rivalry with Jim Sterling, even after he left The Escapist in the Great Contributor Exodus.