Zero Punctuation: Darksiders 2

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This is Yahtzee's 2nd video in a row ripping on comics from the '90's. Has he been hanging around MovieBob lately?

Mr C

May 8, 2008
I still don't understand why the original is called a Zelda clone. It plays and feels nothing like a Zelda game with barely a puzzle in sight. It has far more in common with Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
20 hours is a long game? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AHAHAHAHAHA!!! AHAHA! AHAHA! HA ha haaaa....

Oh wait your were serious? BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bunji

Nov 14, 2010
mronoc said:
The Holy Bible, illustrated by Rob Liefield
You take that back! Liefield is so bad you arent even allowed to joke about it, hes currently in the process of completely ruining the deathstroke reboot - it was so awesome and now... and now *sob* *sob*

Joe Mad is so much better att illustrations

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
"It's not Famin and Pestilence, it's Strife and whatever"

Oh brother don't remind me. I posted a youtube comment on a Darksiders II trailer like, six months ago wondering how they would do Famin and I'm STILL getting snotty replies from people that think they are the first to point it out.

Jan 9, 2011
Endocrom said:
"It's not Famin and Pestilence, it's Strife and whatever"

Oh brother don't remind me. I posted a youtube comment on a Darksiders II trailer like, six months ago wondering how they would do Famin and I'm STILL getting snotty replies from people that think they are the first to point it out.
Eh, I hate YouTubers. Well, the majority of them, anyway.

Epicspoon said:
20 hours is a long game? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AHAHAHAHAHA!!! AHAHA! AHAHA! HA ha haaaa....

Well, these days, it kind of is. 5-10 years ago, maybe not, but for a hack & slash game to last 20 hours (with minimal exploration) in the current age of the industry - that's not all that common.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
MasterProcrastinator said:
Epicspoon said:

Well, these days, it kind of is. 5-10 years ago, maybe not, but for a hack & slash game to last 20 hours (with minimal exploration) in the current age of the industry - that's not all that common.
Clearly you have never heard of Record of Agarest War. There are five chapters and the first one is about 10 hours long, the rest are as long if not longer.

Jan 9, 2011
Epicspoon said:
MasterProcrastinator said:
Epicspoon said:

Clearly you have never heard of Record of Agarest War. There are five chapters and the first one is about 10 hours long, the rest are as long if not longer.
You are correct; I have not. Still, I'd say 20 hours is still above average, and can still be considered long, especially in the world of AAA games, and AAA hack & slashers even more so.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Therumancer said:
The Critic said:
Therumancer said:
FantomOmega said:
vallorn said:
OverHaze said:
Darksiders has more in common with 80s Heavy Metal album covers than it does with Warhammer.

Besides there is much more to 40k than just rage. There is love for The Emperor, devotion to The Emperor, humility before The Emperor, fear of The Emperor, see lots of emotions.
Not to mention the Chaos gods who are themselves made FROM various squalid pools of congealed emotion (Anger/Hate, Hope/Change, Despair/Depression, Joy/Pleasure) Il let you figure out where each one goes.

Also Tau arnt really as warlike as the other races. More just aggressively expansionist.
I feel The Warp overtaking me, it is a Good Pain
Tha could also just you being over enthusiastic with a morphine drip. :)

That said I think Yahtzee's criticism of 40k is fair given the eyes he views it through... those of a video game critic. To be honest video games never seem to have touched upon much besides extremely violent clashes of troops involving groups like Space Marines and Imperial Guard pretty much "on the clock" all the time. To really dig into what's going on behind Warhammer 40k you need to look at things like "Rogue Trader", "Inquisitor" or various novels, and to be honest that is all secondary material behind the minatures game (which is all combat) and the video games that are largely out to duplicate the minatures game and of course be deliberatly mindless hack and slash.

From the perspective of your average Space Marine, what the forces of chaos represent and how they differ doesn't much matter. To really explore that in a heroic context you'd need to see it from the perspective of an Inqusitor from the Ordo Malleus who is allowed that kind of information to aid against fighting against them. The forced ignorance of Warhammer 40k is an interesting concept, but it makes experiencing the world through most characters dfficult, most of the lore behind Space Marines and such involving exposition in codexes and the like which has no real bearing on anything other than to maybe explain some minor bonus.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Yahtzee might change his tone on 40K by a little bit if someone would make a good Ciaphas Cain videogame. Seems like the kind of thing he might like.

Come to think of it, that game would be rather cool. It'd be a bit like Mass Effect, except that all the dialogue options wouldn't be "Idealistic/Good/Paragon vs. Pragmatic/Bad/Renegade"; but rather they'd be "Order Jurgen to do something", "take the piss out of someone/thing with a good snark", "Cover Ass", or "Lie Ass off". The combat portions would consist of hiding behind cover until the scary noises stop.
Well, Ciphas Cain only really works if you already have a considerable knowlege of Warhammer 40k knowlege, otherwise your not going to really get a lot of the satire or why some of it is funny. Also to be entirely fair, despite how it acts Cain has all the actual abillities to be a proper 40k Imperial Guard hero, he just doesn't choose to act that way. Over the course of the stories they have mentioned that he has talents like a peerless sense of direction, and happens to be a masterful chainsword fighter, having gone head to head with a Chaos Marine (until Jurgan shot it if I remember) for a while. He's also got some pretty crazy allies which justify his survival.

Yahtzee wouldn't really "get" all of that given his complete lack of knowlege on the subject, only being familiar with Space Marine stuff. To sort of "get" Cain I think you'd need to at least have to have read the Gaunt's Ghosts series (or some of it) to see how the hero-commisar is supposed to function by default, before you can really understand how truely Borked Cain is, it goes a little beyond general military parody (though I suppose it can be appreciated to some extent on that level, which would be missing a lot of the specifics that make Cain the fan favorite it is).
Speaking as someone who very much enjoyed the Cain books very much, and having (at the time of reading them) only a passing familiarity with the 40K setting in general (let alone the Gaunt's Ghosts series), the humor in the Cain books is accessible enough for anyone with some knowledge of 40K to laugh at. One of the main draws, aside from having the entire story skew the traditional 40K tropes into satire, is having Cain himself narrate the story (along with Vail's footnotes), and have him generate humore from their by either taking the piss out of the things/people that he's interacting with, or by having a massive disconnect between his "on-screen" persona and his internal monologue. In truth, the humor in the Cain books has something in common with Blackadder, they make fun of bleak, dark things, though Cain generally ends with a happy[ier] ending.

But, in any event, I think that the Cain books make a good counterpoint to Yahtzee's statement that "there's only rage in 40K" because all of the main characters, whether it be Vail, Cain, Jurgen, or any of the Guards(wo)men, display a wide range of emotions and generally have some levity thrown in, too. In other words, it's more light-hearted 40K, ditching some of the grim-darkness that makes the series famous in the name of enjoyment.

Back to the subject of Darksiders, though. I do have to agree with Yahtzee on the story hang-ups. The "Image Comics Bible" joke is not only funny, but kind of appropriate (which serves to make the joke even funnier, of course).

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Huh. I just realized Yahtzee started italicizing the names of the games in his review titles...

... Oh, and uh, good video. Yep.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
20 hours is not long. 20 hours should really be the minimum.

But yeah, if the game sucks length doesn't really matter because I'm never going to finish it.

TibJib

Mar 23, 2009
Anyone else notice that Death looks just like Casey Jones from Ninja Turtles? Especially in that trailer that ends with him getting blown away by that giant Colossus-like thing.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
How the hell does yatzee hold his controlers pressing the lb and lt at the same time is easy but still funny as always

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I was mistaken in my last comment; it's been over a month in between Yahtzee rips on '90's comicbook characters.

captcha: stinky feet
How dare you, random phrase generator!

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
rayen020 said:
okay yahtzee how the hell do you hold the controller? and how many fingers do you have? you always complain about holding shoulder buttons and trigger buttons at the same time. that hasn't been a problem since The N64. I thought we all got this down during the PS1/PS2 era, thumbs do all the top of controller work, index for top shoulder, middle finger for bottom shoulder/trigger, ring and pinky for stability. you've complained about this in a few videos now and it's starting to bug me.
I'm gonna have to call foul on this too. I've never once had problems with the PlayStation controllers, so why does Yahtzee?

Well ok, whoever decided the PS3 needed marshmallows for R2/L2 buttons need a steel-toed kick in the asshole, but it's not a sale-breaking issue.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I am deeply suprised at how he didn't mention how buggy this game is. I haven't even played for ten hours and have needed to save and restart a half dozen times because I was seeing if I could get to whatever shiny gubbins by wall jumping, and got stuck in the falling animation between some debris and a wall! What's the point fo putting things high up that require a lot of jumping around when landing might mean you need to quit, and maybe play something else?