Zero Punctuation: Darksiders

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
Lots of rage and bile today... I love it!!
I was laughing so hard throughout this review, especially the part "I'M A MONSTER TRUCK WHO WALKS LIKE A MAN!"
That was awesome. Thanks... now I know not to buy Darksiders...

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
I'm still trying to think of why Darksiders is a God of War ripoff. The only thing I can really think of is the giant circle that pops up above enemies. If anything it's a bigger ripoff of Legend of Zelda, since that's what it mostly play as. I do agree that some of the character designs are horrible, but what is War supposed to look like if not a big burly man clad in armor? Plus I'd be a little brooding too if I screwed up the apocalypse, had my power stripped away and stuck with an annoying sidekick.

Can't wait to see the Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno reviews. I want to play Bayonetta, but my friends who have it said it was short so it's gonna be a rental. I'm more interested in seeing the level and enemy designs than anything in Dante's Inferno

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol yay the beginning of 2010 will be fun if Yahtzee only reviews these games =.=
personally I am not into this genre of games, so hopefully he does something with Mass Effect 2 haha

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
rex922 said:
-Zen- said:
Excellent review. My only problem with it is that Bayonetta is a God of War clone in much the same way as Devil May Cry 3 is a God of War clone.
Thats because bayonetta is a devil may cry clone.
I'm already aware of the relationship between Devil May Cry and Bayonetta.

obliterate

Sep 2, 2009
This was a hate speech
I knew he would hate the game and now this ?
Still I think the game is perfect for my tastes
Yes it has a lot of drawbacks but it does most of the things wonderfull so...hate speech much ?

Thespian42

Apr 5, 2009
Congratulations, Yahtzee. While your reviews usually leave me chuckling, this one had me laughing my ass off while rewinding to your exclamation of manliness. Nice work.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Elesar said:
Never let it be said that Yahtzee follows the trend of other reviewers.
Except he jumped to the same tired old conclusion that it is a God of War rip-off even though he admits after actually playing it it has very little in common with it... yet continues the comparisons.

I know there are a lot of god of war rip-offs but that doesn't mean all hack-n-slash games made this side of 2005 are GOW are rip-offs. Bayonetta is far closer to Devil May Cry (same director... though possibly on a lot more drugs) and at least Dante's Inferno has a scythe rather than just extend-able and swing-able weapons.

Though he's probably right about Dante's Inferno "ripping off" god of war but how can that be a bad thing? I mean is bioshock shit because it's a rip-off of system shock? Is Uncharted a shit game because Gears of War beat them to it when it comes to cover based shooting?

Of course not, the cries of "Doom clone" are pretty familiar but to spite all the whining many of those "Doom-clones" were really quite good, Duke Nukem 3D anyone? There is no reason for hating something because it is not completely original, I mean if you are THAT desperate for something new then every time you finish a game you should snap the disk in half... because it's not like you'd ever want to play it again. maybe it would be smarter to re-sell it or more sensibly never ever buy a game and only rent them.

This is a corner-stone of innovation, if developers (or any artist) cannot take inspiration from the work of others then we would still be doing little more than scrawling shapes on the wall of a cave.

Heftig

Sep 10, 2008
I actually quite enjoyed this game. The direction the developers had for the initial game was supposedly a 4-player slug fest with all the horsemen (which sounds awesome to me.) but I'm not disappointed with the game either and actually look forward to the sequel if they use the old premise with the other horsemen joining the battle with the cliffhanger they left us with.

Darkf0rge

Apr 2, 2009
Everyone always seems to go on about God of war rip off this and god of war rip off that, but in actuality God of war itself is a Devil may cry rip off.

Devil may cry was the first in this genre and everything since has been ripping it off. (GOW was a good attempt)

Incidentally the DMC games have been shit since the first one. I am playing through Bayonetta at the moment, and beside the terrible over sexualized main character and her ridiculous proportions, as well as the fairly non-sensical storyline, it's the best game gameplaywise in this genre since that first DMC game imo.

I just learnt that bayonetta's creator was also the creator of that very first DMC game. Looks like he has come back to the genre he birthed to show everyone how it's done. I doubt GOW 3 is going to top it.

susurs92

May 13, 2009
Oh my god.(of war)<-- sorry, yahtzee.
This is seriously one of the most funniest reviews. haven't laughed so hard since the house of dead.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
"Hello, I'm Yahtzee, that Australian guy who you hire to put together amusing videos about how frustrated I am that gaming in general has become an overly derivative Frankenstein's monster."

"Hello, Yahtzee. Today we are giving you a game to review that sets the bar at a higher level than ever... if the level you are measuring is specifically being an overly derivative Frankenstein's monster."

"Fan-fucking-tastic."