Zero Punctuation: DayZ

LunaSocks

Dec 27, 2010
Huh, never thought I'd see him reviewing this. Lets see where this goes...

EDIT: Honestly, having played DayZ, there needs to be some sort of tutorial mode to help new players. Because what Yahtzee says in the beginning about slipping about on your face is probably how a large majority of DayZ players got started.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
charliesbass said:
I didn't like ArmA 2, but might get it just for this. I'm uncertain.
If you have friends who play it then yes I would say get it if your not going to be playing solo you will only really like it if you like arma 2.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
This 'Mod' in truth has been the only good and original game to come out in years. It has been the only game that has kept my attention for more than a few months and I still look forward to playing it most days.

I have never had a game leave me completely paranoid the entire time playing and then shove me into an insane adrenaline rush that literally felt like I was fighting for my life. Being able to lose your persistent character that you could have been building for a month in an instant due to one stupid mistake is what makes this game so fun, nerve wracking and addicting.

All other FPS & MMO developers need to take serious note and learn from this game.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Someone needs to find that player and give him many thanks and gifts for making Yahtzee's weekly video series more entertaining than usual!

Preferably a box full of blood packs. Real ones. Sent to his house.

dennett316

Jun 30, 2010
charliesbass said:
I didn't like ArmA 2, but might get it just for this. I'm uncertain.
Don't bother mate, it's going to become a standalone game fairly soon using the Minecraft payment model...just wait a bit and nab it then, especially if Arma 2 didn't appeal on it's own merits.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Day Z is one of those hugely flawed games that I love anyway.

Although it does get dull after a while. Once you've got a handle on the mechanics, survival is a cinch. I've taken to hunting other players with a crossbow (despite having an assault rifle) just for something to do.

Also, too much hiking through random woodlands. The people who call Bethesda RPGs "hiking simulators" would spontaneously combust if they saw what Day Z is like.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
mikey7339 said:
This 'Mod' in truth has been the only good and original game to come out in years.
i don't know, I reckon that's a bit of a misnomer.

Not so much original as a combination of different elements that has been guessed at for a long time and has finally combined in just the right way; and perhaps this is causing the current popularity of permadeath/hardcore type modes in games.

Certainly is a breath of fresh air mechanically; in particular the equalising nature of the PvP, or at least what I'm told it is, rewards for simply playing the game for a long time regardless of actual actions certainly does seem dubious to me now.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
This is actually the first video in a while I got a really good chuckle out of, I always find his best reviews to be those on the things he liked.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Bahahaaaa, oh lord. That was one of the best reviews you've done in a while! Well done!

Love this game by the way, I've not seen a single other game that captures tension better than Dayz, even the big boys can't do it as well which is pretty hilarious in its own right. It's amazing how incredibly tense the game becomes the longer you live too, once you get your hands on an AS50 or an L85 you will find yourself getting stressed taking new tactics to preserve your life. So much fun!

Then you will inevitably die, wiping out all that progress...and you will feel a tiny bit of freedom again as you can now move anywhere without a lot of the stress of keeping that well armed life alive. It's a pretty nice mechanic I say.

CaptainOctopus

Oct 5, 2011
Ah that was a good one, made me laught out loud!
connall said:
This is actually the first video in a while I got a really good chuckle out of, I always find his best reviews to be those on the things he liked.
Indeed, many of his best videos are of games that he liked.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
This review is an accurate description of the game. But Yahtzee did you not get to enjoy the fun of some bloke running you down with his car? Sometimes if you follow them you can steal their car when the get out to take a piss break. Cars are usually filled with guns.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
So, it's a spawn-camping griefing simulator, with zombies.
And more realism.

Sounds about right.
Eh, not really. You will definitely see an occasional spawn camper dbag and a lot of barbed wire griefing, but it's not all that common really. Now entering one of the southern cities, that's the meat grinder for sure. Stay away from Cherno/Elektro unless you are well armed! Of course, it only gets worse in the main northern towns and airports, hah!