Zero Punctuation: Dead Rising 2

UncleWesker

Feb 3, 2008
I keep seeing a lot of complaints about the time limit. People do realize that it can be completely ignored in favor of whatever you want right? That is one of my favorite things about both Dead Rising games. You can completely decide how you want the game to play out, rescue all the survivors, focus on the storyline, or just kill everything in sight. And the time limit allowed the world to feel like it was alive, since events happened whether you were around to witness them or not.

All in all, I liked the review, and was pleasantly surprised by how positive it was.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
thefreeman0001 said:
how do i hide that goddamn share bottom thats obnoxiously taking up a 3rd of my video panel?. on a side note good review ^_^
move the mouse away from the video panel for a few seconds.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
lol kinda figure he would like this game. I quite enjoyed it too even more so cause i saved $20 on Steam :D

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
zombied00d said:
Where as the first game had a near vertical difficulty curve I think familiarity with the first one over prepares you for this installment. Though it's less vital to scrounge for books in this one. And it's nice to see options other than hoarding the boss weapons for the rest of the game.

It's a pity firearms are still damn near worthless though.
Meh, I wouldn't say that. Firearms aren't good zombie killers ... and the few that are run out of ammo too fast, but guns make most of the boss fights a lot easier or even trivial... the pink chainsaw maniac for example is very easy to beat if you have shotguns.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Tarkand said:
Meh, I wouldn't say that. Firearms aren't good zombie killers ... and the few that are run out of ammo too fast, but guns make most of the boss fights a lot easier or even trivial... the pink chainsaw maniac for example is very easy to beat if you have shotguns.
I wholeheartedly agree. I beat the final (or second to last) boss with an LMG, 2 M16, 2 Merc AR, a Lobster, Defiler, Orange Juice. Shot the guy to death \o/

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
But the survivor AI doesn't suck?

I find that hard to believe. VERY hard to believe.
Well, believe it. At first I started off doing it DR1 style, giving everyone weapons and setting waypoints because in the first game, just having them follow was hell. You had to set waypoints or they would just stand around in a zombie crowd all day getting munched.

However I soon learned that in DR2 they also do a pretty good job just following you this time around. They actually follow you and only stop to fight zombies if you do the same. Eventually you just stop giving them weapons altogether because they don't need them. They will follow you without fail and in the extremely rare event that they do get grabbed, usually another zombie will have tried to melee attack them which breaks them free of the first zombie's grip before you can get over there to help them.

Basically DR1 did need to scale back the difficulty on it a bit, but DR2 takes it to the point where they might have just teleported right to the safe room as soon as you find them for how easy it is.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Dead Rising 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Dead Rising 2.

Watch Video
So the game is the most fun when your NOT playing by its rules? Their is some kind of paradox in that.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I like the homage to Knuckles when you can tape knives to boxing gloves and VIOLA...also watching a video my official second favorite next to the paddle chainsaws is freezebomb(dynamite + fire extinguisher) then using a guitar rif to smash them all into zombie frozen shards...YEAHHHHH!

PunkZERO

Oct 11, 2010
Laughed my ass off...just like every time before. It's just EXACTLY my kind of humor. Thanks Yahtzee and keep up the great work.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Puddle Jumper said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
And have crazy unfair bosses on the first playthrough?
As long as you have a good load-out in weapons and health, you'll do fine. Every boss has a pattern and you just need to figure it out.

I'm on my first playthrough and I got every psychopath and boss so far.
PATTERN RECOGNITION?!

YES!

AFTER 10+ YEARS, MY GAMING SKILLS ARE FREE! TIME TO CONQUER DR2!

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Where do I buy a "Chest Vagina" shirt?

Pretty good that and Seanbaby's review are why I wont be dropping $60 on this yet

-sunglasses- New Vegas is my pie in the sky

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Spot on review. I am a HUGE fan of the original game, and Dead Rising 2, even though it is somewhat scaled down in difficulty and I'd rather prefer playing tough games, still is a great title and an enormous amount of fun. Heck, even the game itself realizes this and goes over the top with the plot, weapons, combo weapons, survivor wants and what not.

And that's how I like me some Capcom. I don't need "serious" plots about stuff like Umbrella, Complete Global Saturation, Akrid, "Shoot the Giant Glowing Orange Globes or are you Dumm?", etc. I need stuff like "Master of Unlocking", "Been a long time, Comrade", "I've covered wars you know", a royal knight reduced to his undies once hit. The kind of stuff Capcom still has in spades, but they'll have to allow themselves to let themselves go. No serious sgit, Inafune, no "needs to be more western" bull, just go with your creative flow and entertain us.

Last but not least, I like how Yahtzee mentioned how he ran out of time for a boss fight. That happened to me, too, on more than one occasion, simply because I thought Dead Rising 2 would follow the same timing rules as the original. In the latter game, you would never run out of time for a story event - as long as you entered the story event area right before the timer expired, you could still live through the entire event. In Dead Rising 2 however, what you have left on your timer is all you'll get and once it runs out, the story is lost. In other words: complete story events as quickly as possible, or you might have to restart the entire game (or better yet, use two save slots for single game).

The above is something I really like about this new game. Capcom & Blue Castle Games didn't shy away from changing the original's game mechanics, meaning that veteran gamers just can't barge in and complete the game with the things they learned in the past. No, they made some subtle changes here and there which can catch veteran gamers completely off-guard. New gamers won't be affected by this, meaning everyone gets to start from a clean slate, more or less. Very well done.

Top game, this. If you're into Zombie games, do NOT pass this by.

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
I love this game. I'm on my 5th single player playthrough, and am going through on co-op with a friend for the 3rd time. I seriously can't get enough.

Also, the CURE group are less about zombie rights, and more about infected rights. They want cheaper, more widely available Zombrex, and TIR to go away forever. Imagine if you get infected. I'd rather my shambling, rotting, brain-hungry corpse go towards research in finding a cure, rather than splattered over some arena floor for entertainment.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
AssassinJoe said:
I want a game that is just about killing hordes of zombies.

No time limit, no sick daughter, maybe a few boss fights, but overall just you, some meat cleavers, hundreds of zombies, and the simple objective of "Go nuts"
You want a repeat of the old "Fist Full of Boomstick" game. Lots of fun, and could use a reboot on new platforms.

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
I pretty much ignored all the obligations the game threw at me on my first playthrough, with the exception of saving some survivors, so I never ran into much of frustration with the game since I had learned all the necessary moves before my 2nd playthrough where I actually had to face the tougher parts. I did still aknowledge all the problems Yahtzee mentioned here, but none of them really bother me that much.

I'm genuinely a bit shocked to run into a game these days that's just plain fun, only ones being this and Infamous. But when it happens, it's awesome. :)