Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 2

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
Myiven said:
I still think the Dead Space series is a copy of the earlier (and horrible) Run Like Hell, except with no friendly space hippos.
If System Shock, Doom, and Run like Hell got drunk and slept together, the smart athletic child would be Bioshock and the skinny retarted child with Lou Gehrig's and Parkinson's would be Dead Space 2.
The failed abortion would be Bioshock 2.
 

Malacite

New member
Feb 21, 2009
24
0
0
The Real Sandman said:
garcicus said:
Haha First! Great video... always come back on wens just for this... it makes my hump day


Oh mighty Mod God, smite thee.

EDIT:
Anywho...

It always makes laugh when people tell me how "scary" and "atmospheric" Dead Space is. Really, its about as scary and atmospheric as Saw or Hostel. Its not so much survival/horror as it is more of an interactive gore porno.

It is. Though it's only REALLY scary on the first playthrough. I will admit though, that the feeling of isolation was diluted somewhat since Isaac wasn't totally alone this time.

If you want to get the most out of Dead Space 2, do what I did - slap on a turtle beach headset and crank up the settings (Volume, Bass and of course the sound range expansion or w/e it's called) it completely changes the experience. I was able to hear so many more sounds than I did without it it was like night and day.

I'm not gonna argue that it's largely jump scares, but for some reason Dead Space succeeds where Resident Evil has failed lately. By which I mean that the DS series pretty much forces the player into a near-constant state of paranoia, which only helps build on the tension and atmosphere.

Now, I maintain that nothing scares the piss out of you like the Silent Hill series (namely #2, and hopefully 8 which is looking good so far) but DS does a decent enough job while keeping a genuinely interesting plot going. At least now Isaac has a personality.



tl;dr Game is awesome, hater's gonna hate.
 

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
519
0
0
I've played the first Dead Space and I had a pretty good time playing. Epic boss battles, great atmosphere, but for some reason DS2 didn't inspire me to purchase it. Maybe it's just the idea that the first one ended in the correct manner, and there shouldn't have been a sequel.
 

samaugsch

New member
Oct 13, 2010
595
0
0
Waif said:
I've played the first Dead Space and I had a pretty good time playing. Epic boss battles, great atmosphere, but for some reason DS2 didn't inspire me to purchase it. Maybe it's just the idea that the first one ended in the correct manner, and there shouldn't have been a sequel.
What about the ending in the first Dead Space? I thought that was pretty ambiguous.
 

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
519
0
0
samaugsch said:
Waif said:
I've played the first Dead Space and I had a pretty good time playing. Epic boss battles, great atmosphere, but for some reason DS2 didn't inspire me to purchase it. Maybe it's just the idea that the first one ended in the correct manner, and there shouldn't have been a sequel.
What about the ending in the first Dead Space? I thought that was pretty ambiguous.
It's a horror game, and it didn't have typical ending, leaving you to wonder what actually happened. This is how good horror movies end. One that makes you question how things were resolved. It is for this reason why I thought the first one ended in the correct manner.
 

samaugsch

New member
Oct 13, 2010
595
0
0
Waif said:
samaugsch said:
Waif said:
I've played the first Dead Space and I had a pretty good time playing. Epic boss battles, great atmosphere, but for some reason DS2 didn't inspire me to purchase it. Maybe it's just the idea that the first one ended in the correct manner, and there shouldn't have been a sequel.
What about the ending in the first Dead Space? I thought that was pretty ambiguous.
It's a horror game, and it didn't have typical ending, leaving you to wonder what actually happened. This is how good horror movies end. One that makes you question how things were resolved. It is for this reason why I thought the first one ended in the correct manner.
That's true. A lot of horror movies are like that. Then again, the more successful a movie or game is, the more likely it is to have a sequel. There are only a few exceptions to that rule (i.e. Spaceballs and Kung Pow). You may not necessarily agree with me on those examples, but hopefully, I got my point across. :3
 

Cyberjester

New member
Oct 10, 2009
496
0
0
So stick with Dark Corners of the Earth?

Oo, for all space fans..

Space Marine. ^ ^

With any luck twelve hours of extremely violent and bloody repetitive sawing, shooting and punching with no variation whatsoever.
 

SnakeoilSage

New member
Sep 20, 2011
1,211
0
0
It seems like all of these complaints were just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. Necromorphs don't care if they can't play hide and seek at your level, hating monsters for using vents is like saying you hate toast for using the toaster, and I suppose I can forgive you for being so introverted that you don't realize how many children can actually populate a city. I grew up in a town of 7000 and you know how many children went to my school? Over 600. People who get laid tend to have children, keep that in mind the next time you want to complain about your wanker's cramp.

Really I'm just nitpicking about the nitpicking. You could have had a more convincing arguement against the game if you mentioned the Umbrella-esque government conspiracy, the fact that you don't meet an interesting support character until half-way through the game, and your dead girlfriend (despite being DEAD and a major part for Isaac's backstory and motivation in the first game) being reduced to a kind of mustache-twirling villian who is able to break the flow of the game by speaking up every fifteen minutes with a raspy voice like two pieces of cardboard rubbing against one another to tell you what a hopeless nobody you are like she's fucking SHODAN under a red-tinted strobe light.

And this stupid Captcha crap wants me to write out a word in friggin' Greek.
 

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
1,942
0
0
After playing through DS1 and 2, I have to say he's right, but the games are still fun.

I do say that the eyeball poking sequence in this game was about as cringe worthy as the finger slicing one in Heavy Rain.