Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 2

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
I've been traumatized by Amnesia recently so playing something like Dead Space 2 was sort of uplifting. Might not be horror enough for most but the presentation and gameplay got me hooked.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Techni said:
Duffeknol said:
I'm so glad Yahtzee agrees with me completely when it comes to Dead Space. Now I can rub TWO video's in the face of everyone who calls Dead Space 'super f-in scary bro'.

That is a very good thing.
And they can rub a thousand in yours.

Your move.
None of them are as funny as this review ;)

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Yep, have to agree with this assessment over all. Dead space is basically like a slasher movie. It tries to market itself as horror, but really it's just gore and cheap surprises.

DrTrent

Nov 19, 2009
I'm glad Yahtzee understands how horror works. Everyone seems to get it wrong nowadays. It's not about showing the biggest scariest monster up close and threateningly personal. It's about implying danger and letting the viewer's mind run wild with thoughts of what could be lurking around the corner. Nothing is scarier than what your imagination can conjure up.

Tarik94

Sep 13, 2008
The ending is so freaking true I mean the text at the end.

"WHAT THE HELL KIND OF CUTTING TOOL FIRES IN A SHORT NON-CONTINUOUS BURST" This was my question about the first game and I agree fully about it!

RockyMotion

Oct 28, 2010
The Heavy Rain finger chopping scene comparison was a good point. It actually felt difficult for me to do it.

DrTrent said:
I'm glad Yahtzee understands how horror works. Everyone seems to get it wrong nowadays. It's not about showing the biggest scariest monster up close and threateningly personal. It's about implying danger and letting the viewer's mind run wild with thoughts of what could be lurking around the corner. Nothing is scarier than what your imagination can conjure up.
Yeah, I felt more frightened with Demon's Souls because of the tension and sense of vulnerability than with Dead Space. There is no music except in boss fights. Even in a well lit room when there are no enemies you can always imagine a tough guy coming around the corner. They don't even hide, it's like they feel they are tough enough to kill you in a couple hits. Which they usually do.

vonseux

Jan 7, 2011
Agreed at 4:00

I think the developers made a really bad choice for this sequel... replacing the Survival Horror with Gore and ridiculous animation was something a 7 year old would do.

Rycerzyk

Dec 14, 2010
"WHAT THE HELL KIND OF CUTTING TOOL FIRES IN A SHORT NON-CONTINUOUS BURST"

scissors

cut... cut... cut...

Zudarkness

Feb 24, 2010
Nice review.

He should of touch it on how my mom would hate this game. Funny thing My Mom liked the commerical for this game and told me to buy the game. This is coming from a 62 year old woman yet.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
I think the first game to have a frefalling/dodging stuff scene was Ratchet and Clank 3. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
My new favorite Zero Punctuation moment is the part about the monster jumping out of the vent and the protagonist going "AHHHH! I'M LATE!"

Tontomanzz

Apr 29, 2010
That analogy to the child wanting attention was one of the best and the funniest. ?Are you scared yet, what if all the skin rolled off my face, are you scared yet. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa....? LOL. That?s why I found Dead Space one to be an action game and not a horror game.

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
Android2137 said:
My new favorite Zero Punctuation moment is the part about the monster jumping out of the vent and the protagonist going "AHHHH! I'M LATE!"
That was the monsters going "AAAH IM LATE" not Isaac >.>

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Sarpedon said:
Android2137 said:
That was the monsters going "AAAH IM LATE" not Isaac >.>
Yeah I know the monster was saying it. That's why I found it hilarious. I'm sorry. Bad phrasing.

lucifer6642

Mar 13, 2008
Bah, "stream not found" errors when I try to load a video.

After a bit of fiddling it seems that the whole server that handles the video is a bit borked.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

Jezzy54

Oct 19, 2008
So Yahtzee, if you're reading this, which Dead Space game would you say is better?