Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 3

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
Yahtzee, once again, delivers the hilarity this week.
amiran123 said:
I do find it somewhat hypocritical when people keep complaining about all the generic shooters but then proceed to buy them and play them.

There's a reason they keep being made!
Except that Dead Space is marketed as a horror game. Also criticising a game is not necessarily the same thing as saying it should not be made.

Zaz

Jul 1, 2011
Is it just me, or does the html5 version of this video display some wierd graphical artefacts?

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
The random "Daisy the cow gave me creutzfeldt jacob disease" when making fun of farmville had me laughing nearly breathlessly for a good 10 minutes. Well done Yahtzee, well done.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Well after Jim's endorsement i was prolly gonna get this game after it dropped in price, but after hearing about these coop only rooms im not so sure anymore.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
trty00 said:
Yeah, god forbid they actually enjoy something you don't. That's just inconcievable!
No, it's just nice to see other people sharing my point of view. I didn't say anything about thinking the game was objectively bad, other people were wrong or that everybody should all have my opinion, so I've no idea why you decided to react in such an unprovoked, passive aggressive manner.

People get butthurt over the smallest of things.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Eh... part of the reason the games got progressively less scary couldn't be helped. The necromorphs are getting old. They were always grunting and groaning, and they always came on screen with classical music blaring in the background. I wasn't afraid of them anymore by the end of the first game, honestly. The second game managed to add a few new scares by ratcheting up the necromorph action to eleven, but now there's just nowhere else to go. It's just

BLASRGHGARAGH!!! *DUN DUN DUNNNN*

*stasis*

*leg shot arm shot*

*rinse* *repeat*

....Which is exactly how it got to be by the end of the first game, too.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
titankore said:
EA specializes in making the video game equivalent to Coors, Budwieser, and... I forget the other one. Make it bland but spend a ton of money advertising some stupid gimmick to cover up the fact it is watered down piss.
... Miller?

Anywho...

I dunno. I didn't really love or hate DS3. Granted, I got it for free thanks to a gift card I got for Christmas to Best Buy which never really stocks anything I actually want so I had to spend it on something. I probably would have been more upset with its overall quality if I'd actually put hard-earned cash toward it, though I don't think I'd be crucifying it like some people seem to want.

It's definitely much more action-oriented than the other two main games and lacking in a lot of the horror elements, but I dunno... the series as a whole has never struck me as particularly horrifying. It was mostly an action series from the get-go with the occasional bit of disturbing imagery. I feel like the environments and sound design were both for the most part quite strong, though. The cash shop stuff is 100% completely, and very easily, avoidable even when playing on the hardest difficulties. And the bits where you fight other humans are usually pretty short and uncommon within the scope of the game.

At the end of the day, I don't think I can call it a bad game. I certainly wouldn't put it on one of my "top games" lists here on the forums... it's not even my favorite within the series. But I don't think it really did anything exceedingly terrible either to deserve as much hate as it's seemingly getting (especially when a certain other recent action/horror/FPS deserves it sooo much more). To be clear, I love survival/horror games... and I'm not upset with the action-focus of the Dead Space series since, frankly, it was never survival/horror. The majority of the people I see really accusing it of being a survival/horror game gone wrong are hardcore survival/horror fans who just can't seem to accept that the heyday of their favorite genre has come and gone, and now it's mostly just a niche genre or a modifier attached to other genres to make them slightly more interesting or different (like in the case of this series).

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Never played a Dead Space game in my life, and probably won't, but Yahtzee's summary of the micro-transactions philosophy was spot on. You can certainly buy things from this game, if you want to, yet your reasons for doing it should be questioned and your wallet, yes, taken away from you.

And I've done it with EA before too, so I've learned my lesson. Playing hours upon hours of ME3 MP, and getting very little from the stupid micro-transactions that they offer you, has put a sour taste in my mouth. Not worth it and I'm pretty sure anyone can figure it out pretty quickly.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
This review is yet another example of Yahtzee bringing in all his preconceptions about what he expects a game to be like, in this case a horror game, rather than what the game actually is, which I think its fair to say is an action game with horror elements (though to what degree these 'horror elements' go is more up for debate).

On further reflection, it's that sort of approach to reviewing of Yahtzee's, which ends up being as much a 'review' of the game as a critique on the wider video game industry and specific game publishers/studios a lot of the time, that actually grates with me. I'd prefer it if these aforementioned elements remained in Yahtzee's weekly columns though I suppose Yahtzee clearly has his own style and he's going to do it his own way, and he may have good valid reasons for including said elements.

I suppose though that's not what I have real issue with here; my main problem is his apparent lack of a fair and unbiased opinion (as much as reasonably possible) on a game as a single product in itself. I won't deny, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what Yahztee's opinions are on a game that I have some interest in, as many of his criticisms and praises (though the latter are fewer and far between) are often valid and highly salient, but at the same time, many of his points are sadly lacking in at least some form of objectivity. I'm not saying go all out in the objectivity as it is the subjective opinions of a particular reviewer which is the reason many read/watch certain reviews in the first place, but nonetheless, this subjective opinion should be based on some form of objective framework, and Yahtzee, as I said, seems to me to rely on preconceived notions (quite outside of his own tastes and preferences which are fine to include), which really doesn't give the game a chance to stand on its own feet but rather judge it as based on what he expects from it.

He's still entertaining, and he still makes many very good valid points, but I tire of his essentially groaning and moaning when a game doesn't match what he personally envisioned for it or wanted out of it more. There's a place for that sort of critique but I don't believe it belongs in even-handed reviews; I just want to know what you thought of the game in itself, not what personal wishes you expected the game to fulfil. So what if you wanted it to be more horror orientated and less of a typical action game? I don't care about that in a review; if its an action game just tell me what's it like as an action game and a game full stop in your opinion and I can use that informed analysis to help me either decide whether it's a game that might possibly suit me or whether your criticisms and positive points correlate with my own (if I've played it already) or are ones I hadn't made myself and thus provide a different perspective.

That's how I'd review games anyway.......

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
I for one never really considerd Deadspace a horror series its action with horror elements but ive always liked it but im starting to get annoyed with Ea's "every game must have multiplayer" Come on EA you're not idiots beef up the SP a bit

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Evil Top Hat said:
Thank god, I was getting sick of every reviewer giving it a great write up. Somebody needed to come along and that homogeneous mess to pieces, Yahtzee proves the perfect man for the job.
He hated the other two that people like you love to point as the paragon of why this game sucks too. I fail to see how this works in your favor in any way. I'd argue he hated the first two even more in his critiques.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Oh look!, Yahtzee doesn't like Dead Space 3 what a shock. I personally thought it was pretty bad ass and definitely gave me what I was looking forward to for a third game in the franchise. The opening levels where you get to explore the Roanoke area was awesome and definitely the closest I felt a game has come to really making you feel like an astronaut.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Ha! Speaking of digging up old ideas, thanks for pre-recording your review of Dead Space 3 from July 2012. I imagine you had to scramble to remove the "Gears of Dead Space" comparison when you realized the game doesn't force you behind chest-high walls for more than 1/25th of the entire game (and even then you aren't glued to the wall), but that freed up some space to get in that dead-horse-beating bit about brain slugs and EA. On the subject of parasites you might want to start dashing your head with salt or getting your hands on some specialty shampoo because a lot of the comments on this thread reek of the anti-fan, those people who have decided to hate something and just won't shut up about how much they hate it. And lay down some traps because if this keeps up you'll be hanging from a giant exclamation point as they martyr you into their own little cult.

That said I look forward to your Aliens: Colonial Marines review, a game which I have never played but will take smug proxy-sadistic glee as you rip into it, validating my uninformed disgust.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
It looks to me that the makers of Dead Space 3 learned all the wrong things from Resident Evil 5, what with co-op just NOT BEING SCARY IN A SURVIVAL-HORROR GAME! I remember Yahtzee's E3 special last year, when he 1st thought this was another Lost Planet sequel.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Tuesday Night Fever said:
I don't think it really did anything exceedingly terrible either to deserve as much hate as it's seemingly getting (especially when a certain other recent action/horror/FPS deserves it sooo much more). To be clear, I love survival/horror games... and I'm not upset with the action-focus of the Dead Space series since, frankly, it was never survival/horror. The majority of the people I see really accusing it of being a survival/horror game gone wrong are hardcore survival/horror fans who just can't seem to accept that the heyday of their favorite genre has come and gone, and now it's mostly just a niche genre or a modifier attached to other genres to make them slightly more interesting or different (like in the case of this series).
And that is pretty much it, people want the game to be something it never was, it was never intended to be a hardcore survival horror game. It was first and foremost a scifi action/horror game and DS3 is as true to its intent as it can possibly be. If this game wasn't an EA game we wouldn't even be having these discussions tbut since it has their label on it, its automatically a "betrayal" to the genre or a sh** game with no soul. Its amazing how many hate band wagon jumpers there are in these forums who can't think for themselves and yet without having played the games at all, damn it to death without even giving it a chance...pretty sad.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I have to agree, co-op did ruin any "Horror" elements the game could possibly give.

Having two people repeatedly yelling "DO YOU EVEN LIFT", at the undead really ruins the "Scary" vibe, but is quite enjoyable in its own way.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Evil Top Hat said:
Thank god, I was getting sick of every reviewer giving it a great write up. Somebody needed to come along and that homogeneous mess to pieces, Yahtzee proves the perfect man for the job.
He hated the other two that people like you love to point as the paragon of why this game sucks too. I fail to see how this works in your favor in any way. I'd argue he hated the first two even more in his critiques.
... he hated the other two, and they are the paragon of why this one sucks? I'm confused. That's like saying the Return of the King sucks because the Fellowship of the Ring was shit. I don't understand what you mean. Personally, I thought the first two were okay, with the original being the best.

I also like how you throw around terms like "people like you", immediately making assumptions of my character based on a single dislike of a single game. If I were to do the same, I could look at your comment and see a random guy posting aggressive responses because I have a different opinion to him, and conclude that you're the kind of tosser that tries to start arguments in youtube comment sections. I imagine that's not the kind of person you are though, so if it's unjust of me to make assumptions about you, why is it fair of you to do the same to me?

If I enjoy seeing that I'm not alone in my opinion on a game, then it doesn't matter if it "works in my favour", I just like knowing that my feelings are shared by somebody else. I don't need my opinions justified by some random guy on the internet.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
franksands said:
So does this means that Dead Space is now Spunk-Gargle-Wee-Wee?
No, but it is a shooter that will let you make a gun that shoots shrukens saw blades and lightning.
OuendanCyrus said:
The Dead Space games has never been horror but I still enjoy the series, to me, the "scares" in the Dead Space games is just the signal of the start of a battle, I also can't find myself be scared at all, the loud noises resembles that of an exploding building in a modern military shooter.

I like Dead Space 3's crafting system and the attempt of being a bit more open, but I don't like how considerably easy this game is, the game just seems to love throwing medpacks at you, at one point, I had around 20 medium medpacks in my safe that I don't think I ever used.
That's nothing, at one point I had something like 2000 magazines in my bank, on top of around 90 medium medpacks. Coming out of the previous games it's really hard not to be an obsessive hoarder, but, there isn't much reason to be.

I suppose I should go back in and try it on classic mode, though.

Kusko25

Jan 17, 2012
This game is in the prestige company of those chosen few that were granted one of my most rarest awards. The 'not worth finishing' award. I got bored at what I guess is 3/4 through and haven't played it since.