Zero Punctuation: Deadpool

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
While I tend to always get at least a chuckle out of these videos, "Oh don't be like that, baby, Superman 64 was a long time ago!" managed to get a full-scale laugh.

Beyond that, I think it should be mentioned that - based on a few gameplay videos that I've seen - the humor in this game is tailored for a specific taste.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
"Deadpool understands that to counteract the witlessness of its humor it has to keep a fast enough pace for us to not think about it very long"

Oh, I bet you're real familiar with that tactic, eh Yahtzee?

Really, good episode though. I do think they sort of just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks with this style of humor.

Nov 24, 2012
Personally, I see a lot of Yahtzee's personality in DeadPool... But Who is copying Who? X)

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
So, they wanted to make a game about a comedic superhero?
Freakazoid!. (Period added because the exclamation mark is part of the name.)
Must I explain?

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
All of the reviews I've seen for this boil down to:

Do you know/like Deadpool? If yes, play it. If not, don't.

I'll give it a rental.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
There's still a lot of room for comedy games to employ actual wit, like Portal
No. Just, NO. Out of all the games you could've listed, Yahtzee, you come up with Portal as the standard for wit? Out of all the Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle, Space Quests, King's Quests, Grim Fandango, Leisure Suit Larrys, Destroy All Humans!, and Psychonauts; you choose Portal? "See, isn't it funny that the computer doesn't understand humanity? It thinks cubes are companions and thinks we're motivated by cake! HA!"

That's like saying, "Why can't more movies be funny like Commando?" Yeah, it's sort of funny, but, it's not exactly the standard everyone aspires to.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I liked this episode, particularly when you mentioned Portal. Unlike Silent Hill 2 or Sands of Time there's not a lot you can compare to Portal, so it's nice for it to get a mention.

Also liked the opinion/jab at Family Guy.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Shift control F5 not only generates a complete game design document, it also generates the code.
And if you have an internet connection, it will use google to generate the artwork and the script, and attempt to generate the sound effects and voice acting. Failing to do the voice acting, it will generate a list of the best voice actors for you to employ.
All you have to do is put your name on the credits.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
The idea of humor in games is always much better if the writers make it subtle but in almost every part of the game. Portal and Borderlands are good examples (or so I've seen) and that is what makes sales. It also might help if you have good game play, too...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Holy shit... he liked it?

I clicked this saying "Ah hell... he's probably going to hate it."

And to be fair, it's like... half the game before you even notice some of the lines being re-used.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
The question comes down to this: is Deadpool enough to carry a game? As far as I can see Deadpool really hit rock bottom when writers started making him reference internet memes, and as we all know, when a meme is referenced by a thing in the mainstream, it is dead. And since the entirety of his humor now revolves around parroting memes with no sense of self awareness whatsoever, I'd say meh.

Sides, I doubt Deadpool makes a single reference to wanting to sleep with Bea Arthur, which I think would be just plain unforgivable. Yes I know she's dead, but this is Deadpool, fuck you.

boradis

Nov 18, 2009
I understand the "Superman 64" reference, but honestly the "Superman Returns" game was just as bad if not worse. Imagine being Superman in an open world game, except the world is empty. Metropolis looked great from about 20 miles up, but once you got near street level it was obvious the developers stopped giving a shit after they had the map and flight mechanics down. It was just totally empty.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I appear to be the only person in the world who doesn't think the dialogue during combat was repetitive. It really wasn't. But Yahtzee's review is better than a lot of seen so far. A lot of people saying the controls were bad... I hate to be "that guy" but it seems more like they... don't know how to play it? Everything worked smoothly for me; I built up huge combos, the aiming was fine and functional and the bad guys were fun to slice.

I love the humour, though. Funniest game I've played in a long time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Roofstone said:
OT: Gonna give this one a pass, I've watched a LP, and the jokes are fun, but the gameplay doesn't seem to do it for me. Which is odd, cause I usually enjoy hack & slash.
My buddy nearly beat it in a few hours, and he's terrible at games. That's one of the problems. You can fall into success. The puzzle sections are out of place in this game because they're dry and boring, and some make no freaking sense for a guy who uses a teleporter more frequently than the bathroom. At least when it's all shooty you're distracted, but when you're left to think about it, it's...Erm, awkward.

Sorry, forgot to replace all my full stops with lol lol

Thunderous Cacophony said:
to watch every new video at the same time. For instance, Rhymedown came out at 9:00 (my time), this at 12:00, and Feed Dump is expected at 3:00.
Which has led to me forgetting about more than one of their shows lol

AGNGoo

Dec 26, 2008
Ick... Deadpool. Okay, here's the thing: the character was originally Marvel's attempt to parody a character that was, in and of itself, a parody, having completely failed to get the joke. Obviously, times and writers have changed since then, but the point is I will always be mystified by how popular this character is. I could go on a long comic book tangent, but all you need to know is that in the '90s, ultra-violent dark and gritty characters became popular. DC responded with Lobo, a foul-mouthed, gun-toting, booze-swigging space biker bounty hunter. Yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds. Yes, some people failed to get the joke (and continue to, based on the amount of serious stories Lobo has since appeared in). But the character became popular because in the '90s everyone was insane. Thus Marvel looked at him, assumed he was for real because he was selling books, and decided to parody him.And thus, that's Deadpool. A joke based on a joke that wasn't even funny the first time around.

Also, I think I have just driven home why us comic book geeks are seldom invited to parties...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
axlryder said:
"Deadpool understands that to counteract the witlessness of its humor it has to keep a fast enough pace for us to not think about it very long"

Oh, I bet you're real familiar with that tactic, eh Yahtzee?
Ha HA! Good one! I'm surprised he sort of liked this one. I think it's from how almost NO games, especially AAA, even attempted humor at all. They think it's just throw out a sarcastic line with a swear word somewhere in there, and BOOM, levity. Funniest review I've seen in a while. I especially like the digs at how Family Guy went downhill.
gridsleep said:
So, they wanted to make a game about a comedic superhero?
Freakazoid!. (Period added because the exclamation mark is part of the name.)
Must I explain?
You don't have to; MovieBob already did in an episode of Big Picture.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ninjaRiv said:
I appear to be the only person in the world who doesn't think the dialogue during combat was repetitive. It really wasn't. But Yahtzee's review is better than a lot of seen so far. A lot of people saying the controls were bad... I hate to be "that guy" but it seems more like they... don't know how to play it? Everything worked smoothly for me; I built up huge combos, the aiming was fine and functional and the bad guys were fun to slice.

I love the humour, though. Funniest game I've played in a long time.
Perhaps the game is aimed at people with the short-term memory of Dory, but if you play the game for fifteen minutes or so, you've heard all the quips. It takes very little time to run through them all, so I have trouble imagining anyone hoenstly saying it's not repetitive. It really is. As for not being good at the game, I watched a friend get to the last level in a single sitting. I have trouble believing any complaints come down to being bad at the game, as this is a guy who frequently asks me for help beating a game. On the easiest setting.

He didn't die more than once in this game, using nothing but default settings.

No fault on you for liking the game. It was entertaining. Still, between claiming the dialogue wasn't repetitive and being "that guy," I'm left thinking "what?" in a heavily David-Tennant-Inspired voice.