Zero Punctuation: Deadpool

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
AGNGoo said:
Ick... Deadpool. Okay, here's the thing: the character was originally Marvel's attempt to parody a character that was, in and of itself, a parody, having completely failed to get the joke. Obviously, times and writers have changed since then, but the point is I will always be mystified by how popular this character is. I could go on a long comic book tangent, but all you need to know is that in the '90s, ultra-violent dark and gritty characters became popular. DC responded with Lobo, a foul-mouthed, gun-toting, booze-swigging space biker bounty hunter. Yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds. Yes, some people failed to get the joke (and continue to, based on the amount of serious stories Lobo has since appeared in). But the character became popular because in the '90s everyone was insane. Thus Marvel looked at him, assumed he was for real because he was selling books, and decided to parody him.And thus, that's Deadpool. A joke based on a joke that wasn't even funny the first time around.

Also, I think I have just driven home why us comic book geeks are seldom invited to parties...
I was under the impression Lobo was parodying the dark gritty 90s typical hero, and in particular Wolverine, who Deadpool is also aping. Deadpool has so many things in common with Wolverine, he even has a story where he went to Japan and became a sumo wrestler mimicking Wolverine's travels in Japan.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
ninjaRiv said:
I appear to be the only person in the world who doesn't think the dialogue during combat was repetitive. It really wasn't. But Yahtzee's review is better than a lot of seen so far. A lot of people saying the controls were bad... I hate to be "that guy" but it seems more like they... don't know how to play it? Everything worked smoothly for me; I built up huge combos, the aiming was fine and functional and the bad guys were fun to slice.

I love the humour, though. Funniest game I've played in a long time.
Perhaps the game is aimed at people with the short-term memory of Dory, but if you play the game for fifteen minutes or so, you've heard all the quips. It takes very little time to run through them all, so I have trouble imagining anyone hoenstly saying it's not repetitive. It really is. As for not being good at the game, I watched a friend get to the last level in a single sitting. I have trouble believing any complaints come down to being bad at the game, as this is a guy who frequently asks me for help beating a game. On the easiest setting.

He didn't die more than once in this game, using nothing but default settings.

No fault on you for liking the game. It was entertaining. Still, between claiming the dialogue wasn't repetitive and being "that guy," I'm left thinking "what?" in a heavily David-Tennant-Inspired voice.
I waited for the pilot line everything bitched about and didn't get it until near the end. I heard things more than once, I didn't say they're not repeated at all, I'm just saying not as much. Maybe it helps to switch up the weapons since they all have unique lines.

I didn't mean people aren't good at the game, just that the controls are simple and functional and that it's weird how people seem to think they're broken. They're really not broken, they were easy as fuck. Combos were easy, too. A lo9t of people complained about the teleporter being the same as counter. yeah, I teleported more than once without meaning to but it didn't break my combos at all. In fact it helps get behind an enemy.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
porous_shield said:
AGNGoo said:
Ick... Deadpool. Okay, here's the thing: the character was originally Marvel's attempt to parody a character that was, in and of itself, a parody, having completely failed to get the joke. Obviously, times and writers have changed since then, but the point is I will always be mystified by how popular this character is. I could go on a long comic book tangent, but all you need to know is that in the '90s, ultra-violent dark and gritty characters became popular. DC responded with Lobo, a foul-mouthed, gun-toting, booze-swigging space biker bounty hunter. Yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds. Yes, some people failed to get the joke (and continue to, based on the amount of serious stories Lobo has since appeared in). But the character became popular because in the '90s everyone was insane. Thus Marvel looked at him, assumed he was for real because he was selling books, and decided to parody him.And thus, that's Deadpool. A joke based on a joke that wasn't even funny the first time around.

Also, I think I have just driven home why us comic book geeks are seldom invited to parties...
I was under the impression Lobo was parodying the dark gritty 90s typical hero, and in particular Wolverine, who Deadpool is also aping. Deadpool has so many things in common with Wolverine, he even has a story where he went to Japan and became a sumo wrestler mimicking Wolverine's travels in Japan.
Deadpool is a rip off of Deathstroke. Slade Wilson/Wade Wilson. But yeah, Deadpool isn't for everyone. Some (including myself) love the character and appreciate both the serious and comedic side of his character and stories. But not everyone likes him and that's part of his charm for me.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
First thought: Wait, Yahtzee is reviewing Deadpool? Didn't expect that.

Second thought: I'm betting he's going to tear it a new one.

Pleasantly surprised by the positive review (at least by Yahtzee standards). I haven't gotten around to playing this yet, but everything I hear about it tells me that I should give this a shot.

Hell, if I was able to find something of merit about Eat Lead, I think I'll be able to enjoy this.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
So this game is essentially Duke Nukem Forever with Marvel sauce applied to it?
Trying to be funny by using the very mechanics it makes fun of, and off-setting its hit-and-miss gameplay by voice comments that are supposed to be t3h funnay?

I read a few Deadpool comics, and it's very much hit and miss. The game looks like more of the same to me.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
You know, I thought there was entirely too much killing in this game. I think games about killing need less killing in them. I mean, I felt like a monster wading through countless bad guys with bullets and swords or both. Deadpool is a mass murdering psychopath. This game would be so much more fun if Deadpool could simply talk his way our of trouble or maybe give the guys that are shooting at him time to make their intentions known. That would would have been much much better.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Not much of a comic book fan or a Deadpool fan. However, I do like his character and I could go for some dumb and "random" fun.

Quite a nice video this week. The ending with Superman 64 seriously cracked me up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ninjaRiv said:
I didn't mean people aren't good at the game, just that the controls are simple and functional and that it's weird how people seem to think they're broken. They're really not broken, they were easy as fuck. Combos were easy, too. A lo9t of people complained about the teleporter being the same as counter. yeah, I teleported more than once without meaning to but it didn't break my combos at all. In fact it helps get behind an enemy.
I finally tried the game myself instead of watching. Controls are sluggish, though they're sadly not the worst I've played this week (Warriors Orochi 3 only has one task, and they screw that up). Complaints I've seen point towards bad controls and yes, I can agree with that. Even with the sensitivity cranked I'm aiming like I'm moving through Jell-o, the wall-jumping can be a touch anal and even the lock-on system doesn't seem to work that well (yet with the sluggish aiming, seems a borderline necessity for this game. Some of this may come down to the console, as I don't know what people are playing it on (360 for me). The game is technically piss easy, but comes down to an issue of it sort of needing to be to make up for control issues.

In short, I disagree with the functionality of the controls. They're pretty boilerplate, though. Any complaints about that are definitely odd.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Deadpool is about as funny as a wet dog in my opinion.
My dog does absolutely hilarious things when he's wet.

OT: I like Deadpool as a concept more than the execution. Were there at least interface screws, like clubbing the baddie to death with the health bar?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mr_Terrific said:
You know, I thought there was entirely too much killing in this game. I think games about killing need less killing in them. I mean, I felt like a monster wading through countless bad guys with bullets and swords or both. Deadpool is a mass murdering psychopath. This game would be so much more fun if Deadpool could simply talk his way our of trouble or maybe give the guys that are shooting at him time to make their intentions known. That would would have been much much better.
I'm not sure if you're serious or just bitter.

AgentCooper

Dec 16, 2010
I bought the game on a blind buy and limited prior knowledge on the character. I was pleasantly surprised on how solid and yet so generic the controls were. The humor was fine really if a bit annoying at times. I had a great time with the game and wish it had better replay value.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
I was stupid enough to get the Steam version of this game and, for some reason, the DS3 Tool isn't working for me. I dunno if I'm going to miss this game or not because this sort of humour really grates on me very quickly.

A Gray Phantom

Mar 4, 2011
My experience so far with DP (gosh that sounds dirty har har) was, "Wow! Funny! Zany!" Then I got to Genosha and the pace REALLY ground to a halt. Also, the difficulty ramped up, but not in a fun way, more in the "enemies have more health but are still boring" way.

I'm sure I'll get back to the game eventually.

Jezzy54

Oct 19, 2008
I kind of have a soft spot for Mister Sinister. The name was originally intended for the criminal persona of a superpowered immortal child to intimidate people, hence how cheesy it is, but he was retconned as an unethical scientist denounced as "sinister" by his dying wife, and he took on the name as his way of giving up on society, or something like that. Not the best explanation for a supervillain name, but I like the character as this magnificent bastard who follows his own scientific interests, regardless of how twisted they are.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Porecomesis said:
I was stupid enough to get the Steam version of this game and, for some reason, the DS3 Tool isn't working for me. I dunno if I'm going to miss this game or not because this sort of humour really grates on me very quickly.
This kind of humour is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, so why did you buy it?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ah, deadpool, a game where "stealth kill" means sneaking up and shooting somone in the bakc repeatedly.

this is how it looks:

comedic game, perhaps an attempt, but no thanks ill go back to my gritty games.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, i still enjoy the game but i also havent finished it yet. but yes, it does get repetitive and not every joke works but its still fun.