Zero Punctuation: DeathSpank & Limbo

gazz567

Mar 3, 2010
As a resident of a far away land of fantasy aka Northampton I can say we love the reviews and we do have murderous trolls aka yokels and horrible goblins aka chavs. And pleased to see more independent stuff getting reviewed although deathspank has been weirdly publicised.

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
persona J said:
transformers isnt bland or unchallenging u tard, how many games do u no that have transforming robots and if u find it easy bump up the dificulty u moron.
I HAVE FURY!

qwrtyp

Apr 20, 2010
Damn you Yahtzee for once again underestimating the difficulty and variety of dick eating!

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Great review! lol I thought Deathspank was funny a fuck. Not just "this is supposed to be a joke" funny like most games, but actual comedy from someone, making fun of stuff.
Bleak and atmospheric is EXACTLY my cup of tea, as well. IVe been on a search looking for games like that actually. So i think ill pick that up as well....

Talking shit and bringing it down a notch while still recommending it. I think that keeps it rather honest, actually. What do you guys think.

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
thats not my point, he said he wasn't going to review it because he felt his opinion carries little weight on the subject (thats new I know), i understand that, i just don't think the cheek is nessesary on something he said himself he is inexperienced with, and with which he has no intentions of becoming aquainted with for that matter.
That hasn't stopped him from reviewing JRPGs and SC2 is so accessible even non-gamers get into it. That whole excuse that he would be too inexperienced regarding RTS doesn't hold weight. Besides the the single player campaign plays more like a hybrid between point and click adventure and RPG with a RTS as a base.
If he decides to review it after all i will be only too happy alright?
But that doesn't change the fact that he said he isn't going to, nor does it change the reason he gave for that, my point is if he isn't going to review it like all the other games he pokes fun at, then he can keep the single sentence comments about it to himself.
Or, he can say whatever the Hells he wishes, at whatever length he wishes, about whatever topic he wishes. Y'know, like you yourself are allowed to do. Just who in the heck do you think you are, dictating to someone else what they shall or shall not say?

He says he doesn't plan on a Starcraft 2 critique, so that bars him from ever making mention, passing or otherwise, of the game again? And it gives you license to try and e-police any comment he makes until he decides to do a proper review, and "earn the right" to his opinion?

How about no? How about, he says what he wants to, when he chooses. And you can do the same. Without the need to justify yourself to anyone else.

Or do you plan on retroactively going back through your lifetime and filming a snarky fast-talking critique complete with animations to justify any offhand comment you've ever made, as you seem intent on doing so to Yahtzee. Quid pro quo.

careful

Jul 28, 2010
hhmm im not suprised yahtzee didnt like it as much as i did
it seems that game reviewers play so many games so often that they become a little over critical
though despite how yahtzee bashes games i love on points that sometimes dont deserve it, i freaking love ZP!!
edit: game critiquers*

Keios

Aug 4, 2010
I don't know about you, but to me DeathSpank & Limbo sounds like the most badass cop show ever.

Knifewounds

Nov 18, 2009
These are just examples of people trying to be original by making their games ether artsy or comedic. No real substance, or game changing twist to be found. I look forward for the limbo ripoff levels on lbp.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Limbo is amazing, been playing the demo today and it's bloody terrifying. I think it may very well be the first indie game I buy on XBLA.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
War for Cybertron didn't deserve that one. Rage about blandness all you want, Yahtzee, but if you as a fellow nerd don't see anything ever-so-slightly stimulating in transforming robots blasting the crap out of each other in a well-designed game maybe it's YOU who should check their pulse.

And thanks, but I'll pass on the dick, I just had a muffin.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
persona J said:
transformers isnt bland or unchallenging u tard, how many games do u no that have transforming robots and if u find it easy bump up the dificulty u moron.
Oh, the irony. Someone unable to spell "you" or "difficulty" correctly calling others a "moron".

I'm unsure what's so offensive about Yahtzee's SC2 quip? It seemed pretty normal as far as his comments go.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I am suiciding to play Limbo. Have to get X360.

And people there is a SC 2 review in the escapist. Pretty good one in my opinion.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
thats not my point, he said he wasn't going to review it because he felt his opinion carries little weight on the subject (thats new I know), i understand that, i just don't think the cheek is nessesary on something he said himself he is inexperienced with, and with which he has no intentions of becoming aquainted with for that matter.
That hasn't stopped him from reviewing JRPGs and SC2 is so accessible even non-gamers get into it. That whole excuse that he would be too inexperienced regarding RTS doesn't hold weight. Besides the the single player campaign plays more like a hybrid between point and click adventure and RPG with a RTS as a base.
If he decides to review it after all i will be only too happy alright?
But that doesn't change the fact that he said he isn't going to, nor does it change the reason he gave for that, my point is if he isn't going to review it like all the other games he pokes fun at, then he can keep the single sentence comments about it to himself.
Or, he can say whatever the Hells he wishes, at whatever length he wishes, about whatever topic he wishes. Y'know, like you yourself are allowed to do. Just who in the heck do you think you are, dictating to someone else what they shall or shall not say?

He says he doesn't plan on a Starcraft 2 critique, so that bars him from ever making mention, passing or otherwise, of the game again? And it gives you license to try and e-police any comment he makes until he decides to do a proper review, and "earn the right" to his opinion?

How about no? How about, he says what he wants to, when he chooses. And you can do the same. Without the need to justify yourself to anyone else.

Or do you plan on retroactively going back through your lifetime and filming a snarky fast-talking critique complete with animations to justify any offhand comment you've ever made, as you seem intent on doing so to Yahtzee. Quid pro quo.
Hey, I belive in free speech and all, but just because I can run down a street half naked carrying a pigs heart and loudly uttering satanic rituals (sounds like an awsome dare btw) doesn't mean I should. And when you claim to be a professional on something, a certain level of etiquette is usually anticipated.
in his extra punctuation, he gives a reasonable and inoffensive explanation as to why he won't be reviewing sc2, i commend him for this.
What I don't understand though, Is why he just had to go and ruin that by making a unessesary and altogether offensive comment without any follow up to vindicate his opinion.
It seems to me that if anything he could have just summarized the polite way of saying it, within about 1 sentence. The way he wrote it seems like the written equivalent of giving all the people hoping for an sc2 review the flip!
Yes yahtzee can say whatever the hell he wants, does that mean he should, or for that matter, even has a reason to?

I have free speech and i can say whatever I want so you know what?
Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
can you do anything about it? Of course not i have free speech silly!
was it even nessesary? no.
If it was nessesary could i have put it in a more polite and reasonable way? yes.
i hope you are getting the picture now, if not there isn't a whole lot more i simplify for you.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Lucane said:
You havn't heard some people have mimiced it on Little Big Planet?
Lucane said:
snowman6251 said:
I wish Limbo was on the PSN. Oh well.
You havn't heard some people have mimiced it on Little Big Planet?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102478-Sackboy-Does-Limbo

Ahh to bad he didn't talk about some of the odd things they make you do in Deathspank like collecting "chicken lips"... how else would they whistle.
Yeah, someone made a Limbo LBP thing.

It's almost like the full game except with only a quarter of the atmosphere and only a quarter of the difficulity.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Good Lord, I hope he gets off the Starcraft II thing fairly quickly. Just leave it alone.

And I desperately want Limbo, but I don't have an Xbox. WAAAAH.
Gets off? What do you mean? That he stops complaining about it, or that he completely ignores it? He only made one mention about it, as far as I know. I found it amusing, like him once again smacking at the rabid fanboys who constantly send in requests for him to review games.

Sure, I'd like him to review it as well (partly because the best experience was the single-player, and he prefers single-player and I'm interested in what he has to say), but I don't understand your statement here.

Again, not trying to be rude, just don't know what message you're trying to get across.

This review did indeed amuse me. I also do not have an Xbox, and therefore will not be enjoying the delight and woe these games have to offer.

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
angelblack said:
Awww, no starcraft 2 :(

Oh well, entertaining nevertheless.

edit: it was practically the first RTS I finished since I don't like this genre and it was still awesome.
what do you say yahtzee, screw Halo Wars and start with this one?

For you and others expecting Starcraft Douc--I mean..Deuce..get a load of a few simple words by Yahtzee himself.

Yahtzee said:
Let me make something as abundantly clear as I can right now. I am not going to review StarCraft 2. Not now, and probably never. Russ even asked if I'd like to attend the release party in my home city of Brisbane, but I turned it down. That's right: I eschewed a party in favor of staying in with a blackcurrant Lemsip and Split Second: Velocity. Why? Because I don't give a toss about StarCraft 2.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Independent developers aren't (fortunately) held back by businessmen who never see the value of a game rather the volume of their wallet's growth. The irony being video game development started off in this manner to begin with.