Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

sfried

Dec 20, 2007
This review really brings me back to the old Yahtzee days (his first review). I laughed at the undead-swordsman bit about cutting his nipples out, and the dogs in the tunnel.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
JimmerDunda said:
Oh man this video is causing /v/ to rage hard.

shh if you don't mention them the rage will subside and the children will go home.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
harhol said:
There isn't another game like it. You certainly can't say the same for Dragon Age.
Well, maybe you can't.

rmx687 said:
Sad that when a game breaks away from the widespread conventions that are diluting and ruining our gaming experiences, it gets criticized. But then again, this is Yahtzee, and if he doesn't arbitrarily reach for straws for insults that make the review "witty" and funny, no one will watch his videos and The Escapist will lose advertising revenue.

I think gaming is dead.
First of all, you forgot to put quotes around "funny" in your own attempt at "wit".

Secondly, if Internet forums full of sniping from gutters like this are to be believed, gaming has died and come back so many times that Jesus looks plain lazy by comparison.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Secondly, if Internet forums full of sniping from gutters like this are to be believed, gaming has died and come back so many times that Jesus looks plain lazy by comparison.
I like this statement.

rs2000

Apr 16, 2009
Engles said:
No need to knock Sussex...
Yes it can do that all by it's self :p

Though this has got me thinking, where in this green & pleasant land does Yahtzee come from?

kingmanic

Dec 16, 2009
Ryuk2 said:
It actually sounds fun. I want to be challenged, i like the way they do that ''online'' thing, but why the fuck did they have to release it ONLY on PS3?
The game is published in America by Atlus but it's actually a Sony second party game. Like Microsoft and Halo; Sony owns the IP but paid From Software to develop it with help from a Sony first Party Studio. They didn't publish it in America because they thought Americans wouldn't be into the game. The game sold out of it's original run which goes to show Americans aren't the soft, fat, skill averse pre-teens that Nintendo thinks they are.

DS is a game that grows on you. You may suffer bouts of verbal tourettes in the first 4 h or so but after that you then find the rhythm of the game and it becomes much easier. Then you get into new game+ and then you are once again made to feel helpless and clumsy until you adapt.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Yea I think I'll pass on this game. I don't like playing games were I die over and over and over again. Yes I like a challenge but this is a masochist game.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Pardon me for ripping off Conan the Barbarian Ghengis Khan, but what is best in life, Yahtzee?

(And yes, it was Ghengis Khan who said that first, Conan merely copied it off him.)

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
When I am entered into the nearest asylum at some hypothetical point in my life, I will play this game. Not before. Not ever.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Finally, someone who had the exact same fucking experience with the game that I did.

At least I got okay money when I traded the game in.

Photon987

May 27, 2009
It's not unfair in its difficulty. It IS very unforgiving, but not unfair.

The complaint against setting a weapon on fire could be avoided by putting the item that is used to do so on the hot bar. Easily remedied.

As for the whole "the dodge button doesn't do anything" complaint, lighter armors let you move further back. Also, you can dodge to the sides, and timing a dodge allows you to strike back with a counter-attack.

I can attest to the game being challenging, but I can't help but feel saddened by seeing so many people say they will completely avoid the game, because one critic thought that it was too difficult to be truly enjoyable. If you see the game past the first two levels, and start to learn the ropes, the feeling of accomplishment that comes with beating a boss demon far surpasses those available in any game I have played in the last 8 years.

Red Priest Rezo

Feb 6, 2009
OK. This was one of the funniest reviews of ZP EVERrr. Seriously.

BUT! I really can't agree with it. Yes, DS is hard. But I don't think it is THAT hard. I mean, I was playing DS and Uncharted for the past week, and I was dying in Unch far more often. Like, for every 10 deaths in DS there were hundred in Unch.

Thing is - to win in DS just need to be carefull. Always. If you are - you'll win in most situations without all that "learning by dying over and over".

Seriously. I'm not all that great in gaming. But I don't think that there is anything all that impossible in DS.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Ctrl-F tells me the requisite "I Wanna Be The Guy" references have already been made, so let me add a "ditto" to the above and say that if I wanted to play a stupid-hard game, I've got an emulator and Battletoads.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I think I'm going to pick this game up at my local Hollywood Video on the way home. I'm willing to put up with the extreme difficulty if it is at least FAIR, as opposed to relying on cheap killing like most old 8-bit titles would. However, from all the rave reviews this game has been getting, I have to believe that there is some tangible reward for those willing to tough through the beginning growing pains..

MadGodXero

Dec 6, 2009
Loved the video. I'm hoping to get this game partially because I'm an RPG nut, and partially because I need a challenge, but mostly because I'm tired of playing shooters for a while. Yahtzee is a mad genius.