Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Okay I'm 18, and I feel really bad because I haven't heard of Deus Ex until Human Revolution came out. (Well I remember Yahtzee's song about it on his review of Guitar Hero: World Tour but at the time I didn't get it.) So yeah I should probably play it at some point.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
vrbtny said:
Tried the original but it kept on crashing, and it looked so bad i thought it could have run on a calculator.

Human Revolution was alright, the shooting was allright, except that the 10mm pistol can overpower all the bad-guys in the game. Seriously, the combat rifle pales into nothing when compared to the 10mm.
That's because the game basically hands you one with a piercing upgrade. Still, it looks really bad ass.

Sigh, if only you could silence a revolver that wasn't some obscure Belgian model...

Feb 13, 2008
Oh god...Dai Katana...

It was SO SO BAD.

If you can imagine playing Modern Warfare 2 against Frogs and Mosquitos, with snot dumped over your monitor...then you must have already played it.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Hell yeah! I just played through the game last week for the first time in my life, and it immediatelly rose into my top 5 games of all time. I find the graphics charming! And everything aside the graphics is close to perfection! I really, really loved the damn thing. Like, alot.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
vrbtny said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
vrbtny said:
Human Revolution was alright, the shooting was allright, except that the 10mm pistol can overpower all the bad-guys in the game. Seriously, the combat rifle pales into nothing when compared to the 10mm.
Dude, Revolver with Explosive ammo.

It can kill a box guard in 5 shoots if you upgrade the damage all the way.
Yeah, but no one carries around revolvers in the game, whereas nearly all the bad-guys carry 10mm. Especially all the gang members and such. The quality of a gun in Deus Ex : Human Revolution is less about the effectiveness of it on human flesh, and more about the sustainability of it. Like if you can find enough ammo to use it.
You just make every shot count, you take take out groups of guys with a well placed explosive shot.

Ammo was never an issue.

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
Quote from the video that I found funny
Game that came out recently that I want him to review
He is so right about x
Okay people, try posting something that isn't any of the above and stop shitting this website up so much.

Dafttechno

May 19, 2010
Doubt anyone else would care about this, but I found it amusing that the PC tower he showed at 3:54 was the same case as my computer.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
Theminimanx said:
therockdemon said:
i was thinking what the first deus ex game was like, i think if its cheap enoth i might find it on steam or something
You can get on steam for 10 bucks, and if you wait 'till christmas you'll probably be able to get it for half that in one of their sales.
thanks man, i just checked for it on steam it is only £6 i think i will download that now

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Oh, an interesting review of one of the best games of all times. It's funny, the story of Deus Ex should be terrible. You have multiple conspiracies, genetic experimentation, Illuminati, the UN, the chinese mafia, corporations, etc, but it all makes sense! That's what makes the game so great, at least in my view.
HR...well, it's pretty good. The story is great, and the gameplay is solid. However, the boss fights don't fit well with a stealth run, and the animations are awful. Then again, it's still far, far, far better than Invisible War (which wasn't THAT bad...).

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Inkidu said:
vrbtny said:
Tried the original but it kept on crashing, and it looked so bad i thought it could have run on a calculator.

Sigh, if only you could silence a revolver that wasn't some obscure Belgian model...
Wait wha-? Silencing a revolver destroys half of the point of using one. That's like silencing a shotgun, cutting off eargasms.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Unless you count the FIRST Duke Nukem review, I think this is the only time Yahtzee has reviewed a game by never actually talking about it. I'd be more amused if next week he just tells us he lied about continuing the review.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
I still remember my first Deus Ex run. I died about halfway into the statue and then went 'wait a sec...what do you mean, 'this game has no autosave whatsoever'?!'

The german agent also won my price for Most Atrocious Accent.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
vrbtny said:
Inkidu said:
vrbtny said:

Wait wha-? Silencing a revolver destroys half of the point of using one. That's like silencing a shotgun, cutting off eargasms.
I know but they look so cool and I can't really bring myself to have my characters grab the inventory upgrades a lot of the time. I'll admit though that freaking shotgun gave me shivers. Best gun in HR as far as I'm concerned.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I predict 4 minutes on the awful boss fights, 30 seconds recommending the game because it really is quite good.

And by quite, I mean I'd have sex with the disc if I was still some pre-historic caveman who bought his games from real shops.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
G. K. Chesterton is wonderful, but I rather think that the Marxian-influenced critique of history and the individual's role in it underlying The Witcher still counts as philosophy. Still, glad to hear that Deus Ex meets with a certain amount of approval.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Can't help feeling he only mentioned the ability to slip past bosses because he's heard that it's exactly what you can't do in Human Revolution... even if he said he knows nothing about HR.