Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

unwesen

May 16, 2009
I've got to say, fuck these stupid interstitial ads. And yes that's vaguely off topic.

They start a few seconds after the video starts, and completely mess with full screen playback. Either start them at the start, or don't screw with the user experience so badly, please. Preferably both.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
If you don't get what is the text at the end about, watch his review of Guitar Hero World Tour, and wait through the end.

Also, few days ago I just like Yahtz have installed Deux Ex, and it's very playable (after you download 2 gigabytes of community fixes and mods).

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I've spent about 10 to 15 hours watching TV in the last two weeks... this is an amazing amount of TV for me.

And less than half of it was documentaries!

That's almost unheard of for me.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
CrankyStorming said:
Wait, so the tags list a PS2 port, but the description doesn't? Consistency Is Nice, I thought Yahtzee knew as much.
Yeah I thought that was odd seeing how I have the PS2 port in my desk drawer :D.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well that health system he mentioned seems a little like the Fallout 3 /NV approach... did the more recent fallout games borrow from that or did the old ones have it as well?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
DominicxD said:
Quote from the video that I found funny
Game that came out recently that I want him to review
He is so right about x
Okay people, try posting something that isn't any of the above and stop shitting this website up so much.
I didn't realize we'd dropped down to youtube's level -.-' ...apparently we have.

Seeing as i was just between 7-8 years old when the original came out i never actually played it, and after hearing about the bugs and character models i don't think i will. Hopefully it won't matter to the story too much when i pick up Human Revolution.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
leviadragon99 said:
Well that health system he mentioned seems a little like the Fallout 3 /NV approach... did the more recent fallout games borrow from that or did the old ones have it as well?
This health system used to be quite widely adapted - even Unreal Tournament from 99' used a variation of it.

Nov 12, 2010
I'm one third into HR and I must admit: it might actually be better than the original (I can almost hear "blasphemy" flying to me from all directions right now).

Seriously: dialogues are more engaging, characters are more interesting, combat is more fun. It could benefit from the former's skill system, surely, but hacking in HR more than makes up for it: it's just so much fun I can't help it but hack everything I can get my wet-ware on. I was actually disappointed that I couldn't hack every last one of the computers at the police station, because of all the cop tossers watching me from every angle. I might go back and kick their sorry asses, so that I finally can, I am really tempted to do that.

The only thing that might be better is the voice acting, but it really is on par with the original, which had its rough edges in that department as well (Adam sounds really cool though, the best voice actor there, period. Dirty Harry reference, wink, wink). Musically, however, the original is still the king, but I mind you that "Deus Ex" had an exceptional soundtrack, HR has a very moody ambient one, but it's not all that memorable. It does help shape the atmosphere though and for any other game that would be more than enough. It is enough for this one as well, it's just such a pity that they couldn't at least be a little closer to that of the original in terms of memorability.

If HR proves to be this good until the very end, I shall call "better" on it.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Considering the pedestal upon which he placed the first Portal, this game could potentially be an experience equated with celestial voyage through the cosmic seas to the sounds of his favourite Beatles albums and John Romero being strangled to death, but it would still not live up to what he appears to percieve as the zenith of PC gaming. He may very well like the game but he'll never admit to it coming close to the original, though it will be interesting to hear what he says nonetheless.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Back in its day, it was right up there with Thief, Baldur's Gate and Fallout for being able to accomplish missions different ways with varying consequences and that's something that really added fun to this game.

Granted, every criticism he had of this game was valid, and Deus Ex certainly wasn't without its warts. On the other hand, it had all the elements of a great game put together properly and that's why to this day, it gets an honorable mention in my book for an awesome game.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
okay now I'm really excited to see his reaction to Human Revolution :]

Deus Ex, from everything I've heard in the past few years, has really gotten me interested. okay so I saw my friend playing it on his laptop and it looked ugly, but I've been playing movie games for laughs recently so think I'm used to ugly visuals...meaning if the gameplay is soliddd then whoooo

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Yeah I don't like the original Deus Ex all that much. I tried to like it, more than once, even when it originally came out and the graphics didn't seem so atrocious. I think the biggest problem with it it's that it's just not very compelling in the first few hours. There was nothing in the game that kept me wanting to go back to it (that, and the tranquilizer darts gun pissed me off exactly because of what Yahtzee said). And I quite like RPGs, even more so at the time.

And it's not the graphics. Last year I replayed the original Half-Life and Fallout 1 and 2 and still found them to be a blast.

Now, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is another story and I'm liking it a lot. I feel it is the Deus Ex experience I wanted to have at the time, but couldn't get because I found the first hours of the original game kinda boring.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Exterminas said:
It is a decent action-rpg for today's time and must seem like a revelation to anyone, who never played a Deus Ex before, but in direct comparisson to the Original it is just bland.
Speak for yourself.

I played the original Deus Ex back in the day, and I still find Human Revolution to be better in every single way.

It's certainly not perfect, but the flaws are few and far between.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
I've waited for DeusEx:HR for a long time but half way through the game, I'm completely dissapointed. So here's my 0.02 dollars:

Tip 1: the all mighty Silencer. If you expect to be able to buy it from the store, get your ass on google and make sure you find out where it is in the game. Otherwise, you'll miss all of them. Like I almost did.

Tip 2: Don't spend weapon upgrades in anything but the Heavy Rifle and the 10 mm pistol. And only keep EMP grenades (and a few frags for the first boss). Everything else is useless.

I play the game on the hardest difficulty and the firefights are tough. Especially the bosses. But the AI is so bloody stupid that a big firefight is hard to find in this game. The experience you get from killing is a sad joke. Consider these tactics:

1. stealth your way in the base, bypass every enemy... no exp, except for the "ghost" achievement.
2. knock out every enemy, one by one, keep them alive, you get 50 exp per enemy, plus the "ghost" achiev.
3. silently kill every enemy by cutting them with a blade (30 exp) or shooting them in the head with a silenced weapon (20 exp), and you again get "ghost".
4. shoot every enemy with a rocket launcher then carefully move your ass 5 meters around the corner and wait for the guards to say the famous last words "all quiet now, nobody here", then repeat. You again get 20 exp per body and the freakin "ghost" achiev.

So, you'll be tempted to stealth your way through the game, open each stupid lock and computer, just to get those upgrade points. Unfortunately only a few of those are really useful (inventory, armor, aim and recoil and a bit of hacking), so you'll end up maxing out before you reach the half point of the game. And be bored out of existence by endless hacking scenes which give you absolutely nothing... I actually had to reinvent my style of play, from stealth to silenced pistol stealth. Only to find out just how bad the game really is. Once you no longer wait 10 minutes to clear a room silently, you realize just how small the levels are and how little there is to do or break, how linear the entire thing is and how boring and predictable the story is. Even with the awful graphics, I'd rather play the original Deus Ex. It was good for a reason.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Pescetarian said:
Wait, wait, wait a second here. Why does Yahtzee show Gordon Freeman running away from the Gonarch as an example of a game that doesn't let you do that? The Gonarch is the only boss that doesn't let you do that in the whole damn game! You can run away from all the tanks and helicopters in Half-Life without shooting them, it just makes it a lot harder...just like Deus Ex!
What do you mean? The first Tentacle boss fight, the Nihilanth.

You can also run away from the Gargantua as well, but you still had to trap and face it.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
The original Deus Ex is the best game of all time, in my opinion. So much complexity, so much variety. I don't care about the graphics; I want a good storyline and a versatile and complex gameplay. Deus Ex surely delivers.

This game is a triumph of game design. It's what games should strive for - great gameplay and a great storyline. I remember reading reviews for this game 11 years ago and I really wanted to play it, but it was so badly optimized I couldn't play it properly. So I finally got to play it in 2004. and my mind was blown away. I replayed it this year before playing HR and it's still the best game ever made. Fuck graphics when you have such a rich game, and it's a shame more people don't think the same.

I like it how the game is growing in popularity every year. It's still selling on steam and pretty well so. Games like Bioshock or Mass Effect pale in comparison with Deus Ex because unlike those games, it truly merges more genres and actually justifies the RPG classification in it's genre tag. I pity everyone who dismissed this game purely on graphics. What a shame. What a rotten way to dismiss a game.

With all that being said, Human Revolution was amazing, except the end was kind of lacking. It's still the best game in years and a definite GOTY winner for me; it still isn't as great as the original which will hardly ever be surpassed.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Woodsey said:
I predict 4 minutes on the awful boss fights, 30 seconds recommending the game because it really is quite good.

And by quite, I mean I'd have sex with the disc if I was still some pre-historic caveman who bought his games from real shops.
You forgot the obligatory 10 seconds devoted to cover systems, knee high walls, and regenerating health.