Zero Punctuation: Dishonored

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I rather have a silent protagonist that someone who never shuts up, I always end up hating about 80% of voiced protagonists.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Yahtzee didn't like that there was a moral choice system, and then he patronizes the developer for not using the "cheating a Scrabble" version of English. Sorry Yahtzee Thief is an old game, and morality makes games.... fun.... never mind.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the whole "pick between a good ending and the fun killing" thing is what ultimately made me not enjoy this game as much as i would have liked to

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There is something not quite captivating about Dishonored.

On one hand it's got a great dank and atmospheric world filled with charismatic looking NPCs. On the other, I stopped playing it after the first assassination mission and for whatever reason I don't feel compeled to continue.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
I also left the game slightly disappointed,it could have been SO much more,but alas AAA schedules have to be met or you'll be fired.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
teebeeohh said:
the whole "pick between a good ending and the fun killing" thing is what ultimately made me not enjoy this game as much as i would have liked to
Ditto right here. Killing people is sort of your job, it's in the games fucking tagline for Christs sake.

It should be based off big choices you make, not killing people like you're supposed to.

EDIT: What I mean to say is, they should do it Witcher style, where it's all arbitrary and there is no "good" and "evil" choices. More like... "Oh you killed that guy when you could've spared him? Too bad, he turns out to give you X reward" or "You didn't kill him? Too bad, he's going to make your life miserable now".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The thing about the good/bad ending is that the don't automatically slam you with the bad ending if you kill a single person. I'm shit at stealth games and I got discovered a lot, forcing me to kill dozens of guards before I finally got to the final level, but in-between killing I used as many non-lethal takeouts and tranquilizer darts as possible and apparently the game noticed and cut me some slack, because despite of the dozens of guards I had killed, it acknowledged that I was at least trying to keep the body count to a minimal, even if I kept fucking that up, and gave me the good ending. In other words the game gives you some wiggle room and if you make an active effort to not kill everyone you see than getting the good ending should be pretty easy.

I'll admit that the story was rather disappointing though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Earthfield said:
Didn't expect him to be so disappointed with it.

Well, I better try it for myself before judging.
Yahtzee's review is pretty much right in line with everything that my friends had said about the game. Pretty fun, but eeeehhhhhhhhh.....

The biggest complaint was that it was too short and that the endings weren't really much to write home about. I had been considering getting the game but after hearing from friends that had played it (one even said that his local GameStop had something like 30 used copies for sale only 4 days after the game came out) I've been thinking it's probably more along the lines of something you rent, knock out in a weekend, enjoy the experience, but then it's time to move on.

Seems like Yahtzee would agree with that notion.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Fallout 2 didn't have a binary moral choice system and it is the greatest RPG I've ever played... but perhaps I have a bias.
Either way I agree I hate the silent protagonist because creating a character that has zero personality of his own is only frustrating to me, (which isn't the same as a shitty personality such as Nathan Drake) because when a NPC tells me to go fetch/kill/rescue something or someone I want to be able to at least know that PC isn't just a bloody robot that functions only to please those that gives it orders. Silent protagonist crutch that developers use only seems like a excuse to me for developers to not have to invest into having to make sure that PC's personality is consistent and logical when compared to the crazy things they'll be doing for the sake of advancing the game.

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
Interesting,

I love that the ad before the video started sung the praises of Dishonoured to the point of absurdity, then Yahtzee goes on to tell me the game is one the positive side of mediocre.

Here is my impression of the game, I adored playing the games first mission when I had to escape because I suck at any game where I have to actually meet the baddies face to face ( I turned Skyrim into a Stealth sniper FPS). Then I got to the secret base met the one guys there and did everything and turned off the game because work likes me to be awake from 9 to 5 30 and then ever returned to finish anything. Don't know why, I just haven't been bothered.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
"because I'm the bell end."

It's a good thing that I have Urban Dictionary on my Google Favorites, otherwise I wouldn't get half the slang being slung about these days.

Yahtzee was faster paced on this episode than most. Maybe it's because I haven't had my requisite two pots of morning coffee yet but I kept missing things.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
While I enjoyed the "super sneaky nonviolent" approach I felt kinda bad when I tried the "lets slit everyone up" approach. They give you so many wonderful toys to murder your fellow man with then slap your hand when you reach for them. :(

Playing The System

Oct 24, 2012
I've been tempted to buy this game every time I walk past in the shops honestly, but after seeing this review I feel that it'll just be another game that I feel "Meh" about...

More tempted now just to get a copy of Thief from Steam or something. XD

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
And so, Dish-ono-red joins the ranks of "Games Published by Bethesda that Yatzee thought Were Above Average but Didn't Really Like" with Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls games. The differences being that this sort of sandbox isn't running around landscapes but is instead sneaking around buildings.

Also, moral choice systems. Blech.