Zero Punctuation: DMC: Devil May Cry

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Cette said:
Considering you have to have died 3 times on normal difficulty to even unlock easy I think it does matter. And even on easy that shit's not going to get you past the second boss.

Especially considering the "boss" of level two is a miniboss that you a couple of times have to fight two at a time of later on rather than something that's meant to really tax the player on it's own.

Not to say it's massively punishing on that difficulty overall but you do have to learn how to do a lot more than push 2 different buttons and you still have to learn a good deal of the moves and the bosses patterns to not get torn a new one.

On topic I don't mind the new Dante's personality from what I've seen but the overall vibe of the game rubs me the wrong way. And also he looks like one of those meth addict teenagers I have to watch extra close to make sure they're not shoplifting.
You missed the point of the video, the point was to show that the game is accessible on easier difficulties, which it is, can people who have never played this genre before play it? Yes they can.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I'm surprised he didn't make a joke comparing Capcom to the Delorean Motor Company. 1980's rap stars works, I guess.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Cette said:
GrimHeaper said:
Cette said:
GrimHeaper said:
anthony87 said:
GrimHeaper said:
This is the original devilmaycry 3.
Notice how easy it is? This is the game where normal was hard mode.
Now, why are people saying DmC exists to be more accessible gameplay wise?
Any way to prove that that's the original and not the special edition? Besides, it's being played on easy mode anyway.
Does it matter if it's being played on easy mode?
I don't really think it does.
I mean it HAS to be accessible.
DmC has one of those you get a gold star for next to no effort things going on.
That isn't accessibility, that's pandering.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsEasySoItSucks
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MercyMode
I think its the SE actually, the SE is the original as far as difficulty goes.

Considering you have to have died 3 times on normal difficulty to even unlock easy I think it does matter. And even on easy that shit's not going to get you past the second boss.

Especially considering the "boss" of level two is a miniboss that you a couple of times have to fight two at a time of later on rather than something that's meant to really tax the player on it's own.

Not to say it's massively punishing on that difficulty overall but you do have to learn how to do a lot more than push 2 different buttons and you still have to learn a good deal of the moves and the bosses patterns to not get torn a new one.

On topic I don't mind the new Dante's personality from what I've seen but the overall vibe of the game rubs me the wrong way. And also he looks like one of those meth addict teenagers I have to watch extra close to make sure they're not shoplifting.
You shouldn't be playing that type of game if you suck that badly you can't beat it on easy anyway.
It's a fast paced hack and slash action game it should not very considerate on that area.
Because people are supposed to better themselves.
Not when the enemies you are trying to KILL let you smash their face in and tell you they are going to attack you nicely afterwords. There are real time jrpg's that are better hack and slashes than DmC because of that.

So you're saying a games first two levels on it's easiest difficulty should be too difficult for people who are new to the genre to beat?
I'm saying it shouldn't be,but when it's easy as hell and they can't beat it even then and need it even easier they should quit.
That is if they don't have the determination to improve.
"Games like God hand aren't hard, we've just been conditioned by years of games that do nothing but tip the odds in our favor" That describes the current state of things and one of the reason's I don't like DmC and why DmC is generic.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I like the idea that you can chain everything into everything, but like nobody's really gonna exploit the full extent you can do it. The game isn't long enough to get enough practice and there's no real incentive to practice such elaborate combos. Overall I do like the new combat system, though on the PC it does tangle my fingers up. Especially against the news dude boss, where I had to angel fly over his beams and then Eryx slam on those weak spots. My mouse doesn't have enough buttons while Q/E does interfere the hell out of moving around.

The jab at old Dante was rather uncalled for, though I half suspect it was done in response to the negative response of Dante's new design to begin with. I still stand by the point that he looks like a generic teenager, so I'll take cornball Japanese character design sensibilities here.

My only real complaint is Devil Trigger. I liked turning into a badass demon with superpowers. Here it's just some glorified timestop mechanic that doesn't work on bosses.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Eh, it's pretty much the definition of "Rental Blockbuster".
Compared to (half of) its predecessors, it's basically "Gussied-up, Dumbed-down" Devil May Cry.

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
Polite Sage said:
CaptOfSerenity said:
Also, to everybody who liked the previous games: didn't Dante cuss like a sailor and act like a douchebag, too? This seems very faithful to that.
Find out for yourself!
I think the difference between overall writing quality is rather evident.

It's rather funny that when someone brings up the writing or the new Dante's character DmC is usually defended based on "It's supposed to be a younger version of Dante. Ninja Theory was just faithful to the old lore!"
But when the lackluster Heavenly Sword combat is mentioned people cover it with the argument "It's supposed to be it's own thing! Stop comparing it to old games!"

Which is then usually followed by "You are just mad about the hair!". This game is Silent Hill's equivalent of Downpour.
Yep. Didn't like my time being wasted when I played DMC 4 and I didn't like revisiting that clip now. It does show a lot with the writing actually, both Dante's treated their enemies like fools. Only difference is, DMC 4 Dante wasted time, not caring. Even though at that time countless innocent people were getting killed and DmC Dante got straight to the point. Like DMC 1 Dante, kept it short and got right to the action. Huh. Also, Dante swore in the 3 prequel manga AND the anime, and no one cared! :D

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
gundamrx101 said:
Polite Sage said:
CaptOfSerenity said:
Also, to everybody who liked the previous games: didn't Dante cuss like a sailor and act like a douchebag, too? This seems very faithful to that.
Find out for yourself!

It's rather funny that when someone brings up the writing or the new Dante's character DmC is usually defended based on "It's supposed to be a younger version of Dante. Ninja Theory was just faithful to the old lore!"
But when the lackluster Heavenly Sword combat is mentioned people cover it with the argument "It's supposed to be it's own thing! Stop comparing it to old games!"

Which is then usually followed by "You are just mad about the hair!". This game is Silent Hill's equivalent of Downpour.
Yep. Didn't like my time being wasted when I played DMC 4 and I didn't like revisiting that clip now. It does show a lot with the writing actually, both Dante's treated their enemies like fools. Only difference is, DMC 4 Dante wasted time, not caring. Even though at that time countless innocent people were getting killed and DmC Dante got straight to the point. Like DMC 1 Dante, kept it short and got right to the action. Huh. Also, Dante swore in the 3 prequel manga AND the anime, and no one cared! :D
Trish was taking care of it.
Dante swore with class in the anime and manga.
Oh and if you are going to mention anything about people being killed DmC ending.
Everyone gets fucked over.
Good job Donte you sure saved the world herpa derp rushing straight in without knowing what would happen sure helped Donte even Dante had somewhat of a plan in 4

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
daxterx2005 said:
I was under the impression this was a prequel not a reboot....
Fuck.
DMC3 is the prequel.
It wouldn't work as a prequel in the story because despite what people say DMC does indeed have a plot.
Instead of making it a spinoff it's a reboot. Which makes me sad.

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
GrimHeaper said:
gundamrx101 said:
Polite Sage said:
CaptOfSerenity said:
Find out for yourself!

Oh and if you are going to mention anything about people being killed DmC ending.
Good job Donte you sure saved the world herpa derp rushing straight in without knowing what would happen sure helped Donte even Dante had somewhat of a plan in 4
Yet, he swore to protect humanity at the end; saaaay with the opening of a shop. A shop probably called Devil May Cry.. Along with the people of The Order who know how to combat demons, because there's enough going on this game that a sequel to continue the story was laid down. Also, swore with class? I didn't know there was a classy way to call someone a mother****ing **** who likes to **** old ladies, and what plan? "Here Trish, all by yourself evacuate this ENTIRE CITY of well close to a million people while I go look stupid and waste everyone's time." As a player and viewer for the story, if the characters act like nothing's important then why should I care? Congratulations everyone, no one cares! :D

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
gundamrx101 said:
GrimHeaper said:
gundamrx101 said:
Polite Sage said:
CaptOfSerenity said:
Find out for yourself!

Yet, he swore to protect humanity at the end; saaaay with the opening of a shop. A shop probably called Devil May Cry.. Along with the people of The Order who know how to combat demons, because there's enough going on this game that a sequel to continue the story was laid down. Also, swore with class? I didn't know there was a classy way to call someone a mother****ing **** who likes to **** old ladies, and what plan? "Here Trish, all by yourself evacuate this ENTIRE CITY of well close to a million people while I go look stupid and waste everyone's time." As a player and viewer for the story, if the characters act like nothing's important then why should I care? Congratulations everyone, no one cares! :D
If you didn't know there was an art to swearing you probably don't have that much class to begin with.
Humanity? Whats left of it.
Because Dante was the main character in 4. I mean it's not like Nero cared or anything.
You don't have to act argent to urgent things if you can easily keep pace with it. That's a human trait.
Also Trish insisted herself on doing it, Dante objected, Trish made a counterpoint, Dante goes "okay then."
A shop? I thought NT was original and creative like everyone has been saying they are.
Having a shop won't do anything but lead to the same plot.

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
GrimHeaper said:
gundamrx101 said:
GrimHeaper said:
gundamrx101 said:
Polite Sage said:
CaptOfSerenity said:
Find out for yourself!

If you didn't know there was an art to swearing you probably don't have that much class to begin with.
Because Dante was the main character in 4. I mean it's not like Nero cared or anything.
You don't have to act argent to urgent things if you can easily keep pace with it. That's a human trait.
Also Trish insisted herself on doing it, Dante objected, Trish made a counterpoint, Dante goes "okay then."
A shop? I thought NT was original and creative like everyone has been saying they are.
Huh. A personal attack without actually knowing me. Congratulations! You sir, have shown me the way, I mean an art? To swearing? Oh boy!
The reason I didn't bring up Nero was because this wasn't a discussion about Nero, it was about Dante; but now that he's here. Yes, I enjoyed Nero, it was a nice change to see someone take things such as death and the destruction of humans seriously. Like the Dante from DMC 1, who had a sense of responsibility.
Don't have to act argent to urgent things if you can keep pace? No, he wasn't keeping pace. He was far behind it. So no rush, people are dying. Trish is doing things by herself while millions of demons cover the city, as well as fake angels. No need to rush Dante cause you so human, you can afford to. I'll keep that in mind next time I see some who needs help, I won't take it urgently because I'm 'human'.
There was a lot of humanity left actually, if you're talking about DmC. DMC 4, everyone seemed to have died.
Yes, because "Hey, is this you're way of ditching and dumping this one me?" Is such an objection. Countered with "You wanna switch?" then a "It's cool. Let's stick to the plan." As opposed to, you know, doing something. Nope, time = wasted. I liked Dante in DMC1, before Capcom decided to reboot him for DMC2, 3 and even 4. See, to me; who's played the series since it first came out, Dante has been dead since 2003.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
gundamrx101 said:
GrimHeaper said:
gundamrx101 said:
GrimHeaper said:
gundamrx101 said:
Polite Sage said:
CaptOfSerenity said:
Find out for yourself!

Huh. A personal attack without actually knowing me. Congratulations! You sir, have shown me the way, I mean an art? To swearing? Oh boy!
The reason I didn't bring up Nero was because this wasn't a discussion about Nero, it was about Dante; but now that he's here. Yes, I enjoyed Nero, it was a nice change to see someone take things such as death and the destruction of humans seriously. Like the Dante from DMC 1, who had a sense of responsibility.
Don't have to act argent to urgent things if you can keep pace? No, he wasn't keeping pace. He was far behind it. So no rush, people are dying. Trish is doing things by herself while millions of demons cover the city, as well as fake angels. No need to rush Dante cause you so human, you can afford to. I'll keep that in mind next time I see some who needs help, I won't take it urgently because I'm 'human'.
There was a lot of humanity left actually, if you're talking about DmC. DMC 4, everyone seemed to have died.
Yes, because "Hey, is this you're way of ditching and dumping this one me?" Is such an objection. Countered with "You wanna switch?" then a "It's cool. Let's stick to the plan." As opposed to, you know, doing something. Nope, time = wasted. I liked Dante in DMC1, before Capcom decided to reboot him for DMC2, 3 and even 4. See, to me; who's played the series since it first came out, Dante has been dead since 2003.
It's a sequel.
>DMC3,DMC1,DMC4,DMC2
It wasn't the entire world in DMC4 just that area, it WAS going to be the entire world.
DmC it happens to the entire world. It's all over *shudder* facebook.

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
GrimHeaper said:
gundamrx101 said:
GrimHeaper said:
gundamrx101 said:
GrimHeaper said:
gundamrx101 said:
Polite Sage said:
CaptOfSerenity said:
Find out for yourself!

It's a sequel.
>DMC3,DMC1,DMC4,DMC2
It wasn't the entire world in DMC4 just that area, it WAS going to be the entire world.
DmC it happens to the entire world. It's all over *shudder* facebook.

I know the set up of the series. DMC3 was in no way a prequel. If it was, it would have acknowledged this line from Trish "You're the man who lost and a mother and a BROTHER to evil twenty years ago. In DMC3, they saw each other on a Tuesday. The manga acknowledged this before crapping all over it and with the fact Dante never hated his father, as he told Trish he grew up hearing stories of Sparda and admired him. Also, it was supposed to be twitter because in today's globally connected world; the best way to get word out that everything has hit the fan is to post it on a social network. Just like what people do now. Even on this website. Besides, in the original DMC universe; demons were everywhere too. Dante just selected certain jobs, not all of them.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
DMC3 is a prequel, you cannot deny that because it is factual.
That's just a plothole. Or I could just say Trish didn't get things straight.
Vergil is in 1, possessed by mundus.
He takes on Mundus in 3 because it's a prequel.

Ask yourself why is DmC being called a reboot and not a prequel?
Because it's a reboot.

Pero

Dec 11, 2011
Well, I like it. Probably becouse I'm new to series. I don't give a toss about charachters really I just like combat and levels look pretty. And there is not much games like this for PC and I do not own any console.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Pero said:
Well, I like it. Probably becouse I'm new to series. I don't give a toss about charachters really I just like combat and levels look pretty. And there is not much games like this for PC and I do not own any console.
If you don't care about the characters and only the combat I would suggest getting DMC4 for PC.
Could always mod it to take on 10 bosses which it would only take 1 of to slaughter Donte at once.
Of course if you are a combo loving fiend DMC4 has that in spades with on the fly style switching and weapon variety(has several million more combo potentials than DmC) and two different characters to experiment with since it doesn't limit you with color coded enemies.

Pero

Dec 11, 2011
GrimHeaper said:
Pero said:
If you don't care about the characters and only the combat I would suggest getting DMC4 for PC.
Could always mod it to take on 10 bosses which it would only take 1 of to slaughter Donte at once.
Of course if you are a combo loving fiend DMC4 has that in spades with on the fly style switching and weapon variety(has several million more combo potentials than DmC) and two different characters to experiment with since it doesn't limit you with color coded enemies.
Thanks, I'll maybe try it out. :)

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
daxterx2005 said:
I was under the impression this was a prequel not a reboot....
Fuck.
DMC3 is the prequel.
It wouldn't work as a prequel in the story because despite what people say DMC does indeed have a plot.
Instead of making it a spinoff it's a reboot. Which makes me sad.
Agreed, reboots everywhere.

Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, castlevainia, twisted metal now.... DMC.

AgentCooper

Dec 16, 2010
I actually like the new DmC and can't wait to see where it goes from here. My only real personal complaint being the pitiful soundtrack. Also, looking forward to playing the Vergil's downfall dlc.