Zero Punctuation: DMC: Devil May Cry

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
I liked the combat, environment design and cheesy God Hand-esque (though nowhere near as good) dialogue, but I didn't like the 30 FPS framelock for a spectacle fighter, nor did I relate to any of the characters. I really didn't notice the 30 FPS framelock on easy mode, but when it's harder you can pick out the little flaws in the combat system (like the lack of a lock-on or how the dodge button refused to work sometimes) and you can't appreciate the spectacle as much in the midst of battle, and I find that rather disappointing. The redesign of Dante looks like it was marketed at tween girls, but I guess it's better than the Deviant Art Dante of the original Devil May Cry games with horrible voice acting. But it's the only big-budget triple-A game to come out in January and I'd recommend it in the doldrums of Jan-Feb.

m0ng00se

May 5, 2005
I could see myself really, really enjoying this game if a better company was in charge of all the technical bits.

I only ever play these games for the challenge and tight gameplay. Frankly I like new Dante's design (dude looks more like me if I rolled around in the dirt than he does Tameem so that never bugged me) but if beating this shit on the hardest setting isn't a Dark Souls-level badge of honor (technically fair but difficult) I just can't be bothered.

Basically if the gameplay is closer to the "God of War" end of the spectrum than the "DMC3" end I just can't care, and that's been the general consensus on this one. If I had a decent gaming rig I could maybe squeeze some enjoyment out of the PC version with mods and 60 FPS gameplay.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
C117 said:
CONS:
Combos - There seems to be less different combos present in DMC: The Reboot. And depending on your viewpoint, this can be either good or bad. On the one hand, it makes the game easier to play, especially for people new to the series. On the other hand, it means you spend the whole game churning out the same seven combos over and over, because there are no more combos after that. Not a great con, but worth bringing up nontheless.
That's the only part I have to disagree with you with. I figured out mid way through my fists playthrough you can switch weapons at any point in combo and continue on. Since then I've been having fun finding out more efficient and nearly limitless ways to string together combos, some better than others.

I recommend switching to aquila on the third hit of any combo, it's aoe pulls most enemies towards you, leaving
plenty of targets for osiris.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
JustanotherGamer said:
NO thanks DMC 4 is awful shitty button mashing combat where you just need to swap stance and weapon every two seconds top pull off a uber mega death move it sucks. DMC for ps2 was the only good one in the whole dam series the rest are shitty as hell.

Just watched 30 seconds of one of the vids posted whats so good about flicking enemies in the air and using the pistol? they have to be the easiest combos to pull off...Wow 7min of the same combo over and over why post that up makes the game look shitty oh wait it is shitty.
So do you hate everything you haven't played or did you just not read what you wrote? You say DMC 4 is a button masher but then say in the EXACT SAME SENTENCE that you have to switch up your weapons and playstyles, not to mention that video you watched where the guy did the same thing was a joke, he put the game on the easiest difficulty, where you barely have to try, and then played the first two levels in the dumbest way possible.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
JustanotherGamer said:
I played DMC 4 started out ok got very boring very fast square square back square R1 square square square flashy fluff boooooooom room cleared repeat repeat repeat repeat!

Enemy ai sucked attack patters were crap they would stand back if you had a mob on you already most of the time. the game was piss poor shit compared to DMC just like 2 and 3 they just added a load of flashy fluff and toned down the ai in favor of better graphics and more flashy lights cool game brahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

wow you pulled off a 3 hit combo now switch to rocket launcher and everything dies woop skillz dem manz be avin!

Wow turns out that you don't have to press square all the time who knew?

Seriously though, If you are just bad at a game, you should own up to it. Be creative with both your moves and your posts and have fun.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Always fun reading about how people don't realize it was this or nothing. This game did not prevent the fifth Devil May Cry game. And yeah, the way they responded to two years of irrational vitriol being hurled at them with a five second sight-gag WAS over-indulgent.

southparkdudz said:
Thank you Ninja Theory for ruining one of the greastes capcom series ever.
Be sure to thank Capcom too, since they were deeply involved in the development.