Zero Punctuation: Doki Doki Literature Club

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Wow, I was torn between knowing this was probably coming and wondering whether he'd actually go through with it.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I can applaud a game being ambitious and doing something different. However, I always take issue of a game intentionally being buggy and have you think that you have computer issues. I remember reading a review of an album where the band intentionally played like the CD was skipping. I thought, well if you are doing that, then I have no reason to buy your crappy album. I had the same reaction when I read about Doki Doki Waifu Club.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
I'm with Yahtzee on this one. I couldn't help but stop caring after the first big reveal and while its a neat little idea, being free was probably the best move it could have made.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Of course he's playing this garbage the one Wednesday I can actually watch the stream.
Garbage? More like BEST INDIE GAME OF 2017!!!!!!!

I find this game a lot easier to like than Undertale, probably because the fanbase isn't nearly as toxic. Its just a bunch of people enjoying a good in-joke.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Cold Shiny said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Of course he's playing this garbage the one Wednesday I can actually watch the stream.
Garbage? More like BEST INDIE GAME OF 2017!!!!!!!

I find this game a lot easier to like than Undertale, probably because the fanbase isn't nearly as toxic. Its just a bunch of people enjoying a good in-joke.
Undertale at least has gameplay. This, like you said, is nothing but a joke. And not a very good one at that.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I ended up getting spoiled by the Game Theory episode on this, so I kinda already knew what the big twist was. And I still don't have any reason to actually play it, from the sound of it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
MatthewTheDark said:
I'm with Yahtzee on this one. I couldn't help but stop caring after the first big reveal and while its a neat little idea, being free was probably the best move it could have made.
See i couldn't even care about them before the suicide. They all act so completely bonkers over-the-top Waifu like it was impossible for me to see them as human, but simply tropes with varying sized tits. Humans don't actually act like Anime shcoolgirls.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Of coarse dating sims bore me so I probably would last long enough to get the creepy psychological horror part of this.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Dalisclock said:
I ended up getting spoiled by the Game Theory episode on this, so I kinda already knew what the big twist was. And I still don't have any reason to actually play it, from the sound of it.
Hell, they spoiled it with the thumbnail alone. Game Theory is pure cancer and the sooner its creator outs himself as a Nazi or something and gets banned from the entire Internet, the better off we'll all be.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the thumbnail and title, it sounded like the video consisted of nothing but pointing out the foreshadowing that any idiot could have noticed if they'd just played the game a second time.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
Hell, they spoiled it with the thumbnail alone. Game Theory is pure cancer and the sooner its creator outs himself as a Nazi or something and gets banned from the entire Internet, the better off we'll all be.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the thumbnail and title, it sounded like the video consisted of nothing but pointing out the foreshadowing that any idiot could have noticed if they'd just played the game a second time.
OK, I understand why people don't like Game Theory but there's actually a WHOLE lot more going on here than just girls slowly being creepy and the game bugging out. You should watch at least the first video of it.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I enjoyed the whole game, but I do feel that where the stuff starts going down was the peak. That said, if the theories are correct and this is leading up to a whole different game that is as interesting as it sounds and good, this will be a pretty awesome way to build up hype for a game.

Also, you definitely have to be able to tolerate anime to enjoy this game, because while there is characterization to each character, there is a thick layer of tropes and clich?s for each one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
Dalisclock said:

They have some interesting ideas but holy shit I hate his smug voice.

Anyway, sounds like its not as good as Undertale or Spec Ops the Line. But, I also got spoiled from the Game Grumps play though, which I went into knowing something would happen.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
My only takeaway from this is that "KWAA YOU ACCIDENTALLY NUDGED MY CLITORIS!" made me cry with laughter for a solid 5 minutes.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Cold Shiny said:
If the majority of people carried this attitude towards popular media, quoting The Dead Parrot Sketch or anything From the Holy Grail would still result in capital punishment.
It's generally sound not engage with the lowest common denominator of a fandom -- people who base all of their interactions on a single piece of media. Undrtale is well liked by many talented artists and intelligent critics, only most of them somehow don't run around screaming about it on every corner of the internet 24 hours a day? Wiiierd!

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
Boy January has been pretty brutal. I guess there're options now that it's over, like Subnautica or Dragon Ball.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Cold Shiny said:
Your fandom has Trapsuki.

You're in the pit with the rest of us.