Zero Punctuation: Doki Doki Literature Club

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I'm surprised he gave it a go. Would like to see him play Katawa Shoujo.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Hell, they spoiled it with the thumbnail alone. Game Theory is pure cancer and the sooner its creator outs himself as a Nazi or something and gets banned from the entire Internet, the better off we'll all be.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the thumbnail and title, it sounded like the video consisted of nothing but pointing out the foreshadowing that any idiot could have noticed if they'd just played the game a second time.
Don't get me started on those fucking thumbnails. After a point it feels like almost everyone one of them has to have bleeding from the eyes, eyes with small/no pupils or iris', wide open mouths with a worried/shocked expression, or something else that makes you think "Boy something must be fucked up in this vid!" So stupid, I wanna tell their thumbnail artist (Whoever it is) to take a creativity course or two cause shit's played out by now.

Looking into it, this kind of crap became repetitious with the "Pokemon: Friends or VICTIMS?" theory. There was one thumbnail with the above traits before, but it actually fit the video topic a little. Ever since the Pokemon one it's downhill from there

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Devieus said:
Boy January has been pretty brutal. I guess there're options now that it's over, like Subnautica or Dragon Ball.

Yahtzee mentioned he was playing Subnautica and the new Monster Hunter.

Feng Lengshun

Jun 28, 2015
That was surprisingly more positive than what I expected, even if it's still about the same lines as I'd have expected.

I have issues with the game but I find the "free and not that long" to make me more lenient towards it. And it is quite enjoyable. Not being good at horror games, I quite like the low-key scares and I especially love the depression part. It's probably what makes people really like the game - a LOT of people at the subreddit admits some sort of depression or being aware of a mental issues that they are dealing with. I wish there was more of it. Related to that, I would say that the characterization is what makes the game strong - it isn't hard to get attached to any of them, and even with the antagonist, you see where she's coming from and saw her struggle.

My issue is mainly that there are a LOT of loose ends in the story. Sometimes making it feel more like a viral advertisement for Dan Salvato's next game than its own thing.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
No, I wasn't ready! When he mentioned the suicide I could hear the music playing in my head D:

I think the suicide was probably the most effective moment, but there was still a lot of interesting ideas in the rest of the game too. And that bit about right clicking Steam is exactly why it should be downloaded off of the developers website. Messing around with the files is much more natural when you've installed the game yourself and opened it from the exe.

Noyemi-K

Jan 6, 2016
Marik2 said:
I'm surprised he gave it a go. Would like to see him play Katawa Shoujo.
4chan's cripple fucking game: one of the few things actually worse than this trashheap.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm disappointed you can't select words for Monika.
Just so you can do this whole thing where you actually select only Monika.
Then just get to the end where Monika feels guilty for you wanting her all along.
And then deletes herself because she can't accept the fact she deleted the others.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
...correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the thumbnail and title, it sounded like the video consisted of nothing but pointing out the foreshadowing that any idiot could have noticed if they'd just played the game a second time.
Isn't that basically every Game Theory video that isn't just "Illuminati confirmed" style memery? (Peach was a ghost the whoooole tiiiime!)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I've heard about this game... but it's only after this review that I decided to look up a Let's Play of it... and all I can say is... yeesh.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Anyone getting a serious .GIFfany vibe from Monika? Just me?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
My only takeaway from this is that "KWAA YOU ACCIDENTALLY NUDGED MY CLITORIS!" made me cry with laughter for a solid 5 minutes.
I personally liked the "jailbait of anime girls" line. It's a great way to describe a far too large portion of the anime the pump out every year.

daxelkurtz

Feb 1, 2018
I think this is your cue to create an anime-based Chzo game.
The world is ready. Even if you absolutely are not.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
I've heard about this game... but it's only after this review that I decided to look up a Let's Play of it... and all I can say is... yeesh.

You're not the first to say that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is the issue I have most of these rug-pull games, like Spec-Ops: The Line, Undertale, and now apparently this; As soon as I realize it's rug-pull game I'm just gonna be focused on the rug and when it's going to get pulled.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Worgen said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Dalisclock said:
I ended up getting spoiled by the Game Theory episode on this, so I kinda already knew what the big twist was. And I still don't have any reason to actually play it, from the sound of it.
Hell, they spoiled it with the thumbnail alone. Game Theory is pure cancer and the sooner its creator outs himself as a Nazi or something and gets banned from the entire Internet, the better off we'll all be.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the thumbnail and title, it sounded like the video consisted of nothing but pointing out the foreshadowing that any idiot could have noticed if they'd just played the game a second time.
They have some interesting ideas but holy shit I hate his smug voice.

Anyway, sounds like its not as good as Undertale or Spec Ops the Line. But, I also got spoiled from the Game Grumps play though, which I went into knowing something would happen.
I don't mind his voice but the For Honor episode was bad, very bad. I remember when he said that vikings don't have farms at home so they need to raid for basic resources. He then comments on how little, if any, upper body clothing they wear.

That was too stupid to be actual history so I looked up some info he was stating and found out that the majority of the video was completely false. I had assumed he would be used to looking up info and researching but that was clearly false.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
RaikuFA said:
CrazyGirl17 said:

You're not the first to say that.
Which part? (If the latter, then I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it.)

daxelkurtz said:
I think this is your cue to create an anime-based Chzo game.
The world is ready. Even if you absolutely are not.
...I would so want to see that, if only for Trilby-sempai!

xeedguilmon

Jan 18, 2018
I didn't bother with the video, I know his attitude, and every reviewer in general.

"Oh holy shit, anime, I hate animez. Jailbait joke, Jailbait joke! Haha, me so funnaz."

Geez, get a new routine, this wasn't fun the first million times and not a single lick true. It be like if I call every WRPG a senior citizen because they look roughly in their sixties to the excessive wrinkly foreheads and pancake tits.

As for the game, it's tired as the anime hate, being meta because it's "deconstructing" a genre and telling the player to fuck off because the creator doesn't like said genre. Painting everything in blood, breaking the forth wall and trying to use the "cute thing with darkness underneath" trick is old hat.

I'm glade visual novels are "games", modern games suck.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
ToastyMozart said:
Steve the Pocket said:
...correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the thumbnail and title, it sounded like the video consisted of nothing but pointing out the foreshadowing that any idiot could have noticed if they'd just played the game a second time.
Isn't that basically every Game Theory video that isn't just "Illuminati confirmed" style memery? (Peach was a ghost the whoooole tiiiime!)
Honestly, I'm not even a big fan of game theory, his voice among other reasons. I just happened to watch that particular video, go "Hmm....that's interesting. Don't particularly want to play this".

Honestly, the only videos of those I've actually kinda enjoyed are the FNAF ones, and I have no desire to play any of those games either. Watching him dig through all the easter egg lore stuff in a jumpscare game series is kinda entertaining.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
xeedguilmon said:
I didn't bother with the video, I know his attitude, and every reviewer in general.

"Oh holy shit, anime, I hate animez. Jailbait joke, Jailbait joke! Haha, me so funnaz."

Geez, get a new routine, this wasn't fun the first million times and not a single lick true. It be like if I call every WRPG a senior citizen because they look roughly in their sixties to the excessive wrinkly foreheads and pancake tits.

As for the game, it's tired as the anime hate, being meta because it's "deconstructing" a genre and telling the player to fuck off because the creator doesn't like said genre. Painting everything in blood, breaking the forth wall and trying to use the "cute thing with darkness underneath" trick is old hat.

I'm glade visual novels are "games", modern games suck.
Well, good thing you're not the one that decides what content watchable just by the title because guess what? You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried.

Andre Nilsson

May 31, 2011
funny thing is, this IS just a concept game. If what people on reddit has find out is true, then this is an advertising campaign fore a game coming out later this year