Zero Punctuation: Doom

GTG3000

Nov 11, 2010
Uliana said:
GTG3000 said:
I feel the game has lost a LOT of fun value because ID decided to bolt on all that shit. Instead of giving us enough ammo to last an encounter and make chainsaw just a fun way to kill demons, they make chainsaw drop ammo and limit how much you can carry to roughly enough to kill a baron (Not an accurate measurement). Instead of making proper alt-fire for each gun and making each gun solid, they add two alt-fires, one of which quickly stops being used, and make players upgrade their guns for no good reason, especially considering how many points you receive. Were they afraid that players will get bored if they don't find a new shiny every ten steps or something?
I found the upgrade system rewarding, especially since the optimal way to upgrade weapons was to explore the map, thus giving incentive to find every nook and cranny to get the last upgrade points or a new weapon you'd normally get only on the next level. Also, they do have different swapping animations for each and every weapon mod, so not sure what you're going on about there.

Also, you realize that you can increase each weapon's ammo capacity through the Argent System upgrades, and that you can even enhance your ammo management abilities via the Rune system - there's even a Rune called Rich get Richer which allows you to have infinite ammo provided your armor is above 100 points. As long as I can prevent my armor from going down with that rune, I can pretty much spam all my weapons without worry (firing the chaingun for 3 minutes straight to kill everything without stopping was an awesome thing), and even before I get that rune there's a rune that increases ammo pickups.

I also disagree on the Plasma Rifle: I actually thought I'd hate it, but its Stun Bomb and Heat Blast mods are actually really great, the former for stunning enemies and thus making them easier to hit with the plasma rifle, and the other is good for clearing out the smaller enemies you shouldn't be bothered wasting ammo on.

While Doom is not quite what you'd call an "very intelligent" shooter, there's still some thought needed to get the best out of the game, which gives it that bit of depth you wouldn't otherwise if it was too simple mechanics wise.
To each their own.

And yes, I do know about the argent upgrades, I just despise them along with the rest "progression systems" they shoved in.

Why does Doom even need a progression system besides going through whatever demon is standing directly infront of you anyway. It's a very unpopular opinion as it turned out, but I really wished for Doom to be a pure, distilled run-gun-fun kind of a deal, and all these impurities just raise my sodium levels.

Major Tom said:
Flathole said:
I may be the only human in existence that liked and still likes Doom3. I even bought the expansion pack. No, it wasn't "classic," but it had a good constant stream of tension running through it, and I thought the design choice to make the Flashlight so imperative to the game was brilliant.
I quite liked Doom 3 as well. I thought it was an interesting take on Doom, and it also helps that I'm a huge wuss when it comes to horror, so the scares worked really well on me.

But I really enjoyed Doom 2016. So far I've played it through twice (once on hurt me plenty to get my bearings, and then again on ultra violence. Considering giving ultra-nightmare a go to see if I'm good enough to get that achievement). IMO I think ID did things right to update Doom. If there is one complaint I can think of, it's that the story really is a secondary consideration, it's coherent enough to the point where I can't say it was awful, but it's lacking a lot of details like;
What did the demons promise Olivia that made her start this whole mess, how did they find out they could port to hell in the first place, who was the head demon giving orders in Argent D'Nur
etc. etc.
It's kind of like they wanted a story that's not as simple as the original Doom, but didn't want too much to get in the way of the demon punching and I don't think they got that mix right. But I think they did most everything else right. I liked the glory kills, they never got old on me and the weapon mods worked well for me, though there were some mods more useful than others, but people's mileage may vary on which ones. I for one preferred the gatling rotator over turret mode, triple shot lock on over remote detonation (even though that does chew through ammo) and so on. Probably the plasma rifle has the most balanced pair of mods, I found myself using them almost equally.
They really dropped the ball with story - they wanted to have an excuse plot that just kinda happens in the beckground like white noise, but they also make it very, very prominent and impossible to ignore.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Michael Prymula said:
ToastyMozart said:
Flathole said:
Michael Prymula said:
Yahtzee liked Doom 3 too(at least in comparison to Medal of Honor Warfighter).
Yeah, but "in comparison to Medal of Honor Warfighter" is a real nasty qualifying statement. I could say "I like gardening," but once the "at least in comparison to MoH: Warfighter" qualifier comes out it's obvious I don't know my pollen from my stamens and may even have a personal grudge against every plant that's ever existed.
Yep, that's damnation by faint praise if I've ever seen it. Like saying "more watertight than the Titanic," or "a better love story than Twilight," or "a better composed, less contrived ending than Life is Strange's."

Noyemi-K said:
Seems to me that drinking pussy juice would actually be a pretty manly thing to do.
Apparently he's not tough enough for the Love Nectar.
Oh there's FAR worse endings then Life is Strange.
May I nominate The Darkness 2, or XIII, or
Code:
(Insert game with cliffhanger ending that will never see a follow up)

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Wait...people don't like weapon reloads in games now? Why? I like them mostly as it gives a little extra strategy and some animations are pleasant to see. Knowing doom doesn't have any kind of is a teeny disappoint personally. Is this just a nostalgia thing?
You've been quoted like, fifty million times, so I'm just quoting to add to the stack.

I'm a jerk, I know.

OT: Game looks fun from what I've seen, though count me up for another person who still thinks Doom 3 is a pretty good game. I guess I just don't have the same reverence for the original titles; I did play them when I was younger, but I was always more into Star Wars Dark Forces II.

Still, I appreciate what DEUM does with its narrative. It's really interesting to see how they've managed to actually create a personality for a mute protagonist, especially in a game that so gloriously tosses its own plot to the side unless the player really wants to see it.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I kept forgetting there were grenades at all... Until I accidentally pressed the button to try to sprint or crouch for some reason.