Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age II

Kaanyr Vhok

Mar 8, 2011
SickBritKid said:
I don't recall him saying such. But his review was very, very, very positive.
No it wasn't it was mostly negative and flat until the end when he said he wasn't finishing but he was enjoying it despite itself.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
No it wasn't it was mostly negative and flat until the end when he said he wasn't finishing but he was enjoying it despite itself.
Watch the review again. The only real negative thing he said about the first game was how everyone talks while splattered in gore. That was about the ONLY point he made again it. The rest were more praising it's use of great dialogue, characterization, and all that.

Kaanyr Vhok

Mar 8, 2011
SickBritKid said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
Watch the review again. The only real negative thing he said about the first game was how everyone talks while splattered in gore. That was about the ONLY point he made again it. The rest were more praising it's use of great dialogue, characterization, and all that.
I watched it before the last post. I think u need to watch it again. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1096-Dragon-Age-Origins

It was cheery by his standards but nothing on a Painkiller level.

Evil Teddie

Feb 7, 2011
I admit the first game was pretty good. But, I have to say that I am disappointed, like Yahtzee with DA:2 for the simple reason that the game play is not fun. The whole point of an RPG battle system is for tactics, killing dudes, and looking awesome while doing so. There is no targeting system at all, and the whole 'target the enemy that your looking at' is sort of FPS thing that does not work in this game, you really should turn 'auto-attack' on just to avoid RSI. Give Resonance of Fate anytime, the plot and dialogue weren't well written but it had the decency of being fun to play. That's the thing he goes for, whether the game is fun or not.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
I watched it before the last post. I think u need to watch it again. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1096-Dragon-Age-Origins

I did. Yahtzee liked the game. He thought it was a good game.

He DID NOT like Dragon Age II, apparently.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Man, the wooden hair thing was such a huge irritation for me in ME/ME2. They have such nicely-done skin textures on the face, and then it hits this rigid line of hair which looks completely unnatural. Wtf is up with that? Did they run out of budget after doing all the skin and facial features but just before they got to the hair?

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Linkassassin360 said:
Is it just me, or does Yahtzee have a reoccurring joke every video?
(Burgerking kids club)
I don't think he has one in every video, but he definitely likes to do that. The example that stands out the most for me was his whole cats thing in the Just Cause 2 review. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1632-Just-Cause-2]

ShadesOfKnight

Mar 2, 2011
So...

Dragon Age Origins: It's really a problem that you play the same game with multiple races and backstories...

Dragon Age II: It's really a problem that you play the same game with a single race and backstory available.

That sound you're hearing are the developers smacking their heads against a wall realizing that the only way to please some people is... well, impossible. :)

cisjeay

May 23, 2011
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
From what I've heard, the game feels quite rushed and unpolished but it's still a good game. Not just amazing like the previous one.

According to reports from Bioware, we can blame EA. Bioware's dev team had a good few months to go to finish the game, in both polish as well as story, and EA told them to rush it right out the door before the final tweaks could be made.

So while Bioware wanted to aim for the First category you outlined, Yahtzee, their publisher suck "Fuck that shit" to that goal and had them toss it into the second category.
DA:O was not amazing. It was Bioware's worst game unless you were playing NWN's offline.
DAO was amazing, you don't know what the fuck are you talking about.

cisjeay

May 23, 2011
Earaldor Xerron said:
While I will not say that DA II is better than Ps:T (that would akin to sacrilege) or MoB, it's still a good game imho. Others being better is not that bad.
Also, few agree, but I reall hated DA:O-s story. It was boring, typical and predicable, and it tried to seem so much more than it was. OH EPIC! No, it wasn't epic. Epic in fantasy has to include gods or some semi-godly creature. Not paranoid backstabbing idiots, whose backstory is about as fantasy-like as your avarage Brazilian soap opera. I can accept that "dark fantasy" equals to "realism" and "human (not the race) characters" but this does not work with epicness. Not in fantasy. DA II chose it's range much better for this kind of perspective and while the rush probably effected this part of the game as well, it's still an interesting story about a woman/man who is...well, more or less a normal human.
It's true that everyone is racist or fanatic or has some kind of defect. That has a negative impact on "reality".
wow, you don't really know what youre talking about, DAO DID envolve gods, old gods in fact, the archdemon is actually an old god that was tainted with Darkspawn blood.

cisjeay

May 23, 2011
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
From what I've heard, the game feels quite rushed and unpolished but it's still a good game. Not just amazing like the previous one.

According to reports from Bioware, we can blame EA. Bioware's dev team had a good few months to go to finish the game, in both polish as well as story, and EA told them to rush it right out the door before the final tweaks could be made.

So while Bioware wanted to aim for the First category you outlined, Yahtzee, their publisher suck "Fuck that shit" to that goal and had them toss it into the second category.
DA:O was not amazing. It was Bioware's worst game unless you were playing NWN's offline.
Too bad even Yahtzee couldn't come up with anything to say negatively about DA:O other than the whole "talking while covered in blood" thing. Go suck on that.
He didnt even finish the game. I though the the first 15 hours of DA:O was some of Bioware's best work the next 15 hours was their worse by far.
again, you're wrong, Yahtzee played for about 25 hours(he said it himself), and that he was actually enjoying the game, particularly because he was always interested in knowing what will happen next.
get your facts straight.

cisjeay

May 23, 2011
SickBritKid said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:

True, he didn't said ANYTHING good about DA2, except that is kinda hard to dislike the companions, but that's it.

Earaldor Xerron

Jan 7, 2011
(Be warned: There will be DAO and DAII spoilers in this post!)

Yes, sorry, you are right, they are (were) creatures of godly power, previously worshipped as gods, and what else makes a god than beleief.
However, they are pure evil, don't really talk or show much sign of intelligence (though they said to posess terrible intellect) or consciousness for that matter: they just exist to carry out vengence, nothing more, even if the lore says otherwise, I saw no signs of that intellect. It's not like the darkspawn needed much strategy, nor did they seem to employ any. They were not stupid, but that's it.

A god in my book is a creature at least conscious and possibly intelligent as well. If it's only a conscious being, as in a natural god (like many of those worshipped in the far east) then it is always in balance with the world. There is the question of which world (for a creature in balance with another world then where it actually is probably would try and rearrange things, much to the misfortune of the world's denizens). If it's intellient as well, then it probably has more on it's mind than destruction. The Maker, for example has both consciosness and intellect, shamelessly "copying" the God of Christianity (for the most part). He has goals, ideas, philosophy and gets rather pissed off when something doesn't go according to plan: much like a human (not as much as the Greek gods, but a bit more than his Christian "original").

The Archdemon doesn't fall into either category, it's a vessel of destruction and (fairly pointless) vengence. They might have intelligence but they seem to have no consciousness and that doesn't make a god, it doesen't even make a living thing (and thus it's not even a demigod). It's a machine, a magical spell, really close to a "simple" force: predictable and boring, although terrible indeed.

And that's why they didn't feel like gods to me, even if technically they are. I wanted the Maker in the story, or at least his avatar or emissary or angel or whatever. There was no sign whatsoever that he actually existed and while that's okay IRL or even in a sci-fi, it's not okay in an epic fantasy story. All you have in the game are legends and dogma and some ambiguous clues.

DA2 found a much better scope for a dark fantasy setting. If it's all about realism, then seeing world history in the making (and influencing it a bit) is the most "epic" you can get. Is that too little? You influenced the whole world to some extent, but more importantly saw an event that will have an impact on the whole world of the game. I for one, can't wait to see what the consequences will be and how that will play a (hopefully major) part in DAIII or an expansion pack.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
cisjeay said:
SickBritKid said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:

True, he didn't said ANYTHING good about DA2, except that is kinda hard to dislike the companions, but that's it.
And that we can blame on EA, who pushed Bioware to release DA2 before it could be completed and polished to a mirror sheen like they did DA:O.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
cisjeay said:
SickBritKid said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
SickBritKid said:

And that we can blame on EA, who pushed Bioware to release DA2 before it could be completed and polished to a mirror sheen like they did DA:O.

cisjeay

May 23, 2011
EPIC DOESN'T equal god, it equals a story about a hero, or anti-hero, or chracter that somewhat influences the world or at least a portion of it, LOTR is epic, the Witcher is epic, DAO is epic, da2 is not epic.

Kaanyr Vhok

Mar 8, 2011
cisjeay said:
again, you're wrong, Yahtzee played for about 25 hours(he said it himself), and that he was actually enjoying the game, particularly because he was always interested in knowing what will happen next.
get your facts straight.
I said I played for about 15 hours. Really I checked I played for 25 and the game was a piece of shit. DA:O was a certified piece of human shit and DA 2 is a dumbed down piece of human shit. DA:O had the worse encounters since maybe Pools of Darkness. It was like playing a sidescroller. Ok the first 10 hours were cool but then its the same wave of level scaled unbalanced AI that all fights the same. There was like one puzzle. The side quest were worthless.