Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Origins

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Good review. I'm glad to see he liked it enough to want to keep going with it. I think the strongest point of BioWare games is the story, and this has been one of the most compelling stories I've seen in the medium. I say this, of course, as an obsessive Baldur's Gate fan, with which this game shares many, many elements.

I will say, I disagree with his opinion on the cut-scenes. I thought the BioWare animators did a much better job at avoiding the uncanny valley than, say, Oblivion where everyone stood stock-still and just stared at you. Conversations were dynamic, people moved about. Sure, you still get some of that stiffness from the modeling, but I just don't think the tech is there to do much better yet. Certainly the conversations were more engaging and immersive than many other titles.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
stevec666 said:
FIRST :)

[small]User was suspended for this post. (7 days)[/small]
ziggybogidou said:
damn you,sir.

[small]User was put on probation for this post.(3 days)[/small]
RyoScar said:
Very funny review

[small]User was put on probation for this post.(7 days)[/small]
JakeX said:
SECOND AND AWESOME

[small]User was put on probation for this post.(7 days)[/small]
*sigh* I knew this was going to happen. But I'm still mad about it anyway.

Please stop trying to get first post, people, your only reward will be a suspension or probation.

Anyway, it's good to see Yahtzee reviewing this blockbuster of a game. I like RPGs and I like Bioware, so from what Yahtzee's said, I'm guessing Dragon Age: Origins might be a good game for me.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
"And if you don't like Fantasy RPGs then I guess you can just go off have sex with people instead."

Okay then I will.

TRACEACE

Nov 19, 2009
I think the game's strongest point is its dialogue and characters, which is ESSENTIAL for a good RPG game. There have been MANY moments I have LOLed at, and like in a good movie, I've come to hope for the best for the characters because I actually like them. It's refreshing, in a way, and I think it ends up making a decent (if somewhat cliche-y fantasy) storyline into something that honestly drags you in. I have pretty much played this thing every spare moment I've had since I got it. It's been a long time since I was drawn to an RPG like that.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
Question: Does anyone know what Yahtzee is talking about in that section with "this should be scrolling in front of Conan the Barbarian" part? It's the long text passage.

Also: Yahtzee likes Avenged Sevenfold, didn't see that coming.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Very amusing, though I was surprised that you didn't offer any praise for BioWare finally managing to ween itself from the Force mechanic; sure the formula of BioWare games varies so little from KOTOR to DA:O that each iteration is largely the same game with shinier graphics and a different story, but one major step away from the foundation should be applauded, even if it's just one hand that's doing the clapping. I'm still partially dreading getting past the "Mass Effect" part of Mass Effect II, oy.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
You know for some reason I kept thinkin that this game was goin to be like Golden Axe? I dont know why, my brain just kept tellin me this fact even while I was watchin the review I was still like 'So its like Golden Axe then?'

Also, congrats on the winners of them contest

-M

slimer

Nov 17, 2007
It's a great game, very average review... didn't even mention Morrigan. You should have played it on PC.

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
I really want this game. I plan to buy it based off friends, and now Yahtzee. Good review, not as funny as the originals, but still made me chortle.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Shadowkire said:
DA:O is only a dark fantasy is a relative sense. Most fantasy stories are colorful places where the hero and his crew are seemingly immortal, or else only one dies in the most dramatic way possible.

Dragon Age is darker than that because many "good" characters die, the main character can die, blood shoots out everywhere when someone is so much as brushed with bare knuckles and icky things happen to dwarfs that go on wild adventures to find anvils. Yahtzee probably thinks that isn't what "dark" should mean, I for one believe it should be called a brutal fantasy.

[edit]
Dark for me would mean the whole thing had a bleak outlook, like the situation the world finds itself in is hopeless and only by immense sacrifice can the hero and his friends even buy people some time and hope.

That is dark, not "We are the only two people who can stop the bad guys from destroying this one region, I will also be constantly reminding you that only this nation is at stake and that the rest of the world could probably handle things if we fail."
That's exactly what I felt about DA:O though: the blight was already upon Ferelden: losing Ostagar and Lothering, the preying on the weak fleeing for their lives, the tragedy of the Dalish elves and their leader, his vengeance that has gone unfulfilled for eons, the dwarves scheming, and caste that seemingly punished a pregnant young dwarven woman abandonned by her father for loving a casteless dwarven man. All those tragedies ... that's dark fantasy. The spiteful Chantry and their fanaticism that lead to the downfall of the elves, and control of mages. It's a fucked up world, that's dark fantasy.

Almost as bleak and chaotic as "Berserk" world, and the heroes did have to go through a lot to get to the final battle. Morrigan and Leliana are both tragic characters in their own way, so is Alistair, and Shen.

Can't wait to get more of DA:O.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Funniest review i've seen in a while, defiantly makes up for the D.C. one

Also are we ever going to have a ZP without someone posting "FIRST!"?

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
I can't bring myself to even watch the 'review'. I've grown tired of Yahtzee ripping everything (except his own games and ones almost like them) to shreds.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
dukethepcdr said:
I can't bring myself to even watch the 'review'. I've grown tired of Yahtzee ripping everything (except his own games and ones almost like them) to shreds.
Actually, he liked it.

I wonder what the follow up extra punctuation will be like. I know Yahtzee is a busy man, and I've been playing this game for about 60 hours and I just now feel like I'm reaching the end. I'd like to hear his thoughts on the story but I'm not sure he's up for the task of finishing it through to its conclusion.

MoSKo13

Oct 9, 2009
Awesome review it was actually not useless drivel like the majority of the other random reviews, might actually try this game out.

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
AcacianLeaves said:
dukethepcdr said:
Actually, he liked it.

I wonder what the follow up extra punctuation will be like. I know Yahtzee is a busy man, and I've been playing this game for about 60 hours and I just now feel like I'm reaching the end. I'd like to hear his thoughts on the story but I'm not sure he's up for the task of finishing it through to its conclusion.
Really? What a shock!!! I may actually have to watch that review. I haven't seen a Zero Punctuation review that was even remotely positive for so long.

Thanks!

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
dukethepcdr said:
AcacianLeaves said:
dukethepcdr said:
Actually, he liked it.

Really? What a shock!!! I may actually have to watch that review. I haven't seen a Zero Punctuation review that was even remotely positive for so long.

Thanks!
Okay, I watched it. I guess the fact that it didn't bore him to death after playing it a long time qualifies as "liking" the game. He still tore it to shreds and made fun of pretty much ever aspect of it and of the people who like fantasy RPGs. He also continues to resort to cussing and disgusting references to things that people under the age of 18 shouldn't be hearing or seeing (adults shouldn't rot their brains with it either for that matter).

I now resume my boycott of Zero Punctuation. Thanks for the reminder of why I don't like those video "reviews".