Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Origins

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
I turn my back for a few minutes and suddenly there are two pages of comments.

Whoooo, the contest was mentioned!

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
By the way, your Origin in DA gets important again near the end.

Hardcore_gamer said:
Willwillwritehiswill said:
Very good. Was considering getting this and now the similarities to mass effect have piqued my interest.
In Mass Effect your own character talks when you decide what to say during conversations, but i have heard that in this game your character just stays still and never says anything and that is something i HATE since it takes all of the immersion out of the game in my opinion and makes my character feel empty and hollow. One of the reasons for why i loved Mass Effect so much is that my character actually says shit and has some personality.
Thats hardly possible to do in Dragon Age. In Mass Effect you had very limited character creation options and thus it was able to make 2 default voices for your character. In DA you would need quite a lot of voices to cover all combinations.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
hamster mk 4 said:
In my defense, the tower defense genera is less saturated than the platform jumper genera, and mine was the only tower defense style game entered in the contest. I briefly considered doing a platform jumper as well, but I figured every one else would make platform jumpers and I was right.
If your the guy that made the defense game can i ask a question?

(well i am anyway)

What decided to do the weird resource thing, and to make your guys fade out after a while and was the boss level the last one?

BTW i liked you game better then the guy that got 1st

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
I am mildly offended that the game contest winners were tacked on in the middle of the credits, like some afterthought. I was also upset that Yahtzee seemed to put even less effort into reviewing the contest titles than he usually applys towards the weekly show. I'm not saying that the contest winners should have gotten a full 5 minute episode, but I was expecting something a little more insightful. I wrote more meaningful reviews of those games in their comments threads, and it took me no more than half an hour each. I thinks its a little lazy to devote so little time or effort when the participants devoted considerably more time and effort on their entries.

I'm also mildly offended that my game didn't place, but that is another issue, and probably shouldn't be discussed here.

I liked the Dragon Age Origins review, especially the part about bored Arnold. (I'm a sucker for Conan references)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I was hoping that Yahtzee would skip Dragon Age since I like the game so much it hurts a little when someone says bad things about it and I was pretty sure he wouldn't like the game by default. However, I confess I am quite suprised that he seems to like it enough to sink more than a full days worth of time (and counting) into it. I guess he has some taste after all (as was indicated by his dislike of Dead Space and Oblivion)...

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Ah, so I wasn't the only one that thought "Dragon Age" implied Dragon was a new material... Dragon swords... Dragon armors... Dragon farm tools...

RyoScar said:
STOP SAYING FIRST! YOU DON'T NEED TO SAY IT! WE CAN SEE YOU ARE!
You'll come across like less of an hypocrite if you actually watch the video before commenting on how great the video was.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Really good one, laughed a lot at "is this the age where everything is made of dragons".

Woundingisfun

Sep 2, 2008
Brilliant! :D
Hell no if i'm buying the game, but it's always fun to hear yahtzee's oppinions about RPG's.

khululy

Aug 17, 2008
Dragon age is a great game I mean as far as Fantasy RPG's go. But it's still not a world as believabel as the witcher was where choises do effect your story and where everyone is an asshole :p.
Gawd I really love the witcher I do.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Radial menu? Why did you not play this game on PC? It is a vastly superior version. Why would you base your review on the inferior version? I mean, most of your gripes, as mentioned above were not leveled directly at the game, and would still exist, but you would be playing a version that is a lot more tactical and fun.

jorgemalgom

Apr 15, 2009
Funny review, and like yatzhee said nothing incredibly new, but i like it that way, classic rpg with nice new graphics

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
That was one of the better ones lately. And everything that was said was pretty much what I expected from Dragon Age. "You are an elf," and "you are an asshole," was my favorite part... gave me a nice laugh.

SAMURAJ

Mar 20, 2009
DRAGON AGE is a fucking great game,seriously this is the beast RPG thet i played !!!!
and the story is fucking awesome, i don't know why are you complain about the story because its mind blowing !!!
DRAGON AGE is game of the year definitely !!!!

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
Good review. Yahtzee did exactly what I thought he would with this Genre. Which is tear is to shreds (not as much as I expected actually). That being said, it does appear that he may like the game in the end.

I personally don't expect this game to be any different to those other fantasy games. However I do look forward to the nice polished feel that the game appears to have.

And for all those people who posted "FIRST!!!" or "Moan: I don't care that you posted first". Nobody really cares ;)