Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Origins

DBlack

Jul 16, 2009
It may just be me but when I have the option to turn all the tree hugging elves into an army of werewolves, and the dwarves into soulless killing machines, I start to get a "Nerd Stiffy".

There wasnt a single NPC that had a noticable similar voice and the story was really well told. I understand that yahtzee has to ream these games out, but he could at least mention the fact that it was way more involving then most other RPGs. And why the hell didnt he beat the shity extra combat crap to death; having to lay traps and buff up with poisons EVERY DAMN FIGHT got somewhat repetative.

A tank, a healer, and DPS for party members... where have I seen that before?

Love the series yahtzee, hope you do CODMW2 next.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
played for 25 hours and you still want to find out what happens next. Cant see a more shining endorsement for the game XD

DBlack

Jul 16, 2009
Man I tottaly agree with you on the first people to post... who the hell cares? If you dont have anything meaningful to say then stop wasting space on the forum.

Ann-Marie

Oct 18, 2008
Bioware games may be a bit cookie cutter in that sense but I figure that's why everyone loves them so much. I found myself promising to leave the game and then accidentally spending like another hour on it without realizing. The main quest was kinda short though...

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Narrrrggggggg! He used the console version!

And in other news I'm 12 hours through and finding the lack of a morality slider depressingly liberating in the sense that I'm now finding it increasingly difficult to go 'light side'.

dazdex

Aug 20, 2008
Thraxio said:
sCUNThorpe, eh? I must remember that the next time we play them.

Third place in the contest sounds awesome, apart from the weapon imbalances.
That joke doesn't work on us mate. :) Does make it a bastard when putting in your home town when trying to register for something though.

Anyway hurray he mentioned my little town I feel so special.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Uh, good video and all, but wheres your extra punctuation article for Uncharted 2?

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Damn, I want my job class to be the Shadowhumper. An actual RPG Yahtzee liked gameplay-wise? Gotta look it up if its worth it. There's been a lack of good PS3 RPGs lately.

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
Thank God I'm not the only one banging my head on the wall at the irony of high fantasy...

Even when the writers occasionally break away from the clichés it seems to be only to convince themselves that they aren't just copying a much better author. And they also fail to notice that they are still writing the sub-genre based on copying LoTR, no matter how much they try to change or deconstruct it.
A good fantasy author would write his own fantasy world and concept instead of trying to justify one that isn't their own and has been already explored so much that it can hardly be called even fantasy anymore.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Deviate said:
One thing I spotted is that he apparently played the Console version, which unfortunately fails rather hard compared to the PC version. Bioware intentionally dumbed down the gameplay for the consoles, to avoid breaking the feeble little minds of the consoletards that haven't dealt with proper RPGs before.

The gameplay on the only real version (the console ones are pretenders at best), has extremely little in common with previous Bioware titles except possibly Baldur's Gate which wasn't one of the examples he trotted out in the review.

And there's that little nugget where he decided that there's very little difference in the game when you replay it, which is rather erroneous. Your choices through the game has quite remarkable impacts on the gameplay, and will result in very different endings. Hell, it'll change the last ten hours of gameplay quite substantially.

But I must say, as the Yahtzee whore I am, this is a delightful review. Now, where can one pick up the games from the contest I wonder?
What are the differences between the consoles and the PC version?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Jannycats said:
I can't believe that he complained that the game is too long. Wtf, I thought that playing a short game was bad and a reasonably-sized one was too boring. You can't really win with Yahtzee can you?
No. No you can't. It's why it worries me when people use ZP as a reference point for criticising games.

God of War, Gears of War and Killzone: Dull Browns and Grey.
Halo and Haze: Too bright and colourful.

Keefas

Nov 2, 2009
Great job Yahtzee. Much less Tolkien-comparisons than I expected. (Oh, come on. Who didn't have a strange feeling of deja vu after learning the plot synapsis?)

This is what former D&D nerds like me have been waiting for since Baldur's Gate 2.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I haven't laughed this hard at a review in a while. It just goes to show that making fun of nerds is still the cheapest and easiest way to a laugh. Well done.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Jannycats said:
I can't believe that he complained that the game is too long. Wtf, I thought that playing a short game was bad and a reasonably-sized one was too boring. You can't really win with Yahtzee can you?
He didn't.

Or did he? Can someone tell me where he said the length was a bad thing?