Zero Punctuation: Dragon's Dogma

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Everything after the mention of pimping had me in stitches, excellent review!

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
"Wait, am I pimping?!" I didn't even think about that but now that you mention it, yeah, you are. Though it's worth it since the Pawns are useless else wise.

What's not great about grabbing a monster and stabbing it in the nuts?

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
When I heard about the ledge climbing aspect to the monster fights, I immediately expected Yahtzee to dust off the "Like Shadow of the Colossus but..." stamp from back in the Castlevania Lords of Shadow review.

Does the game just suck too much to the be worthy of the comparison?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Dude... i found the "DragDog is also the name of a legless yorkshire terrier i adopted a while back" part way too funny.

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
I'm surprised. I thought Yahtzee would rip this one a new one for not being pitch perfect, but he was surprisingly nice to it, all things considered.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
I'm surprised he didn't complain about the lack of fast travel. From what I've heard, this game is a pain in the ass to play sans-combat.

And, given that he didn't exactly endorse the combat, I see little reason to pick this up.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Wait, so does this game require you to be connected to Xbox Live in order to recruit other pawns? I certainly hope not. I only use my Xbox live profile for getting DLC.

Hopefully the game will let me play with only one pawn. Less annoying dialogue that way. Too bad it's not for PC, because then someone could make a mod to shut the pawns up.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
PureIrony said:
I'm surprised he didn't complain about the lack of fast travel.
The game does have fast travel, when you first make it to Gran-Soren you unlock the ability to use ferrystones to teleport back there instantly.

On a later (required) quest you discover a portcrystal that you can place anywhere in the overworld, placing it allows you to use the afore mentioned ferrystones to teleport to that portcrystal too.

After that additional portcrystals can be bought from a certain merchant in Gran-Soren, alas they cost an arm and a leg each. Not literally, but in your first playthrough the cash would be better used buying and upgrading equipment for you and your main pawn rather than simply cutting travel time.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
PureIrony said:
I'm surprised he didn't complain about the lack of fast travel.
He did, on one of those blink-and-you-miss-em signs.

All in all, I kind of get the feeling he didn't like the game, even if the pimping mechanic seemed interesting to him.

Nate Corran

Dec 26, 2009
Been a long time since I laughed this hard at a ZP. Very much enjoyed, tho I won't be purchasing this game.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I haven't done any pimping in a fantasy RPG since Morrowind. I hope they release a PC version one day.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
templar1138a said:
Wait, so does this game require you to be connected to Xbox Live in order to recruit other pawns? I certainly hope not. I only use my Xbox live profile for getting DLC.

Hopefully the game will let me play with only one pawn. Less annoying dialogue that way. Too bad it's not for PC, because then someone could make a mod to shut the pawns up.
No the game comes with a set of pre-generated pawns. It's just more fun to see the crazy things people come up with, plus you can recruit your friend's pawns for free regardless of level if you're connected.

KICdude

May 29, 2012
Very nice review, because if all else fails satire is the way to go. I've always enjoyed the show on another website and I thought it was great, but posting a comment on that website rather than this one can make a panda cry apparently. For me at least paying my respects to the person who made it rather than a mirror version is better. Great show and I enjoy your work.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
templar1138a said:

The game has a selection of support pawns you can hire in offline mode. And its not required at all to use a full party[footnote]Though it does help...[/footnote]. And if the chatter really gets on your nerves, you can toss your pawns off a cliff and venture forth alone.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Oh,wouldn't you know it,it's Wednesday again! This vid had me chuckling throughout.I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I've heard the game is a flawed gem,too bad I can't have the chance of playing it because it didn't release on PC,oh well,on to the next one!