Zero Punctuation: Dragon's Dogma

haaxist

Sep 21, 2009
It's actually a really good game, in my opinion. Yeah, the premise is kind of generic, but the game itself is pretty solid. My only major complaint is that the auto-save doesn't save nearly often enough. I know what you're thinking, and yes, I am rather lazy and want the game to do my work for me. But how hard would it have been to make the game save after you beat a monster that has multiple health bars. In any other game that would have been a boss battle, but in Dragon's Dogma they just pop out of nowhere as soon as you run out of healing items.

Cytrode

Jun 23, 2012
I greatly enjoy the game, oddly for the reason that there's not really much story being driven down my throat unless I specifically want to go looking for it.

In Fable, Skyrim, and other major RPGs of late, the developers wrote this story, and damn it all, you're going to sit and listen to it. Live in the moment? NO! They wrote this, you have to hear it. Characters are going to go into a deep history whether you like it or not, even if it has no real bearing on what you're trying to do. (Hey, go kill that dragon. Here's why you'd probably want to kill that dragon, even though you have enough motivation just due to it trying to kill you)

In DragDog, if you want it all, you can go find it. It's may not make much sense, but dragons rarely do. Otherwise, just go fight the plethora of bandits, wolves, lizardmen, cyclops, ogres, chimeras, dragons, griffons, beholders, hydras, and god knows what else.

Cytrode

Jun 23, 2012
Also, based on what I usually see of Yahtzee, the fact that he didn't go out of his way to rip a new one into a Japanese RPG really speaks highly of the game overall. Yahtzee hates pretty much all of them.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
kyogen said:
Danzavare said:
It sounds like I have to play ranged if I want to use aggressive magic. Oh well, I'll make an alt if I really want to know what it feels like to get up close and personal.

Captcha: Zombie attack
Not necessarily. If your mage/sorcerer wants to crawl up the back of an ogre and cast light attack spells from atop its head, he or she can. It's not the best use of the skill set in most cases, but it's very effective in a pinch.

You can't really have multiple characters at the same time, but you can change vocation at will by speaking to the innkeeper in the capital city, so you're covered if you want to try melee and switch back.
That sounds reckless and needlessly destructive - I like it~! I'm happy to know it's at least a possibility.

That sounds more convenient than making an alt. I think I'll start eying Ebay for the game.

Gremlin-Stenning

Jul 29, 2012
I bought this game before I saw this review and its amazing just how right Yahtzee is. Come to think of it though I can't think of one GOOD game capcom have done

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
I think this game is pretty good. It feels like a combination of Monster Hunter and Dragon Age with a hint of Shadow of the Colossus. The Japanese do a pretty good job of making western rpg's. I feel ive grown out of the JRPG genre as a whole but this game has enough of the nice things of it to make it appealing to me. Most of Yahtzee's points are on the point though. I too felt lost when I reached a certain point in the game where you're overwhelmed by a truckload of quests without any indication of what difficulty they are. I even quit playing for that day because I couldnt make up my mind. I fixed it by going exploring on my own and got a lay of the land, then doing quests in order by distance from the main hub.

one thing i'd like to mention that bothers me about this game: The game doesnt have savefiles. You only get one and it autosaves. I was a few hours into the game and finally decided I wasnt happy with the look of my character (doesnt have speech but gets facetime in cutscenes) and my pawn. Forcing me to restart. And even now, as a result of detailed character customization, I often get new character ideas wich I can't realize because doing so would overwrite my current game.