Zero Punctuation: Duke Nukem Forever

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
AnimaWish said:
On the note of videos, escapist videos won't load for me. They used to, but now they don't. I've done every single thing in the troubleshooting area. It's really annoying me. Has this happened to anyone else?
I've had this problem since my last firewall update (Outpost Firewall Pro) and nothing short of "suspend protection" won't allow the player to load. Any and all site-specific settings don't seem to change anything, but suspending the firewall for a couple of seconds while the video loads isn't that big of a problem for me (plus once the player's in browser cache everything else loads too).
You can also try asking for help on escapist irc [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/chat/].
P.S. And have you checked the help page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/help]?

wije

May 5, 2009
hehe for all those who don't know dukem nukem forever isen't and probably will never be out
the producer (3d realms colpased)

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
BEST REVIEW SO FAR

i seriously could not stop laughing the entire way though, of course, i knew it HAD to be gold, when i saw what you were reviewing :D

Pobster

Feb 9, 2009
Broken Blade said:
Such an epic masterpiece, and a game that Yahtzee actually likes! See, it only takes a decade to make a game that fits his incredible standards!

Another excellent one, Yahtzee. I was howling half the time.
Hmmm, I think the review is sarcastic actually

ideitbawx

Jan 4, 2008
maximara said:
icnfde said:
Not going through 18 pages of posts so excuse me if this has been asked already, but why do people love to beat down on Duke Nukem Forever when Team Fortress 2 took 10 years to develop and everyone lashes it with praise? Seems a bit hypocritical to me when you bash one game for taking so long yet love another when it took just about the same time to develop (even 10 years is a large stretch).
Except for the fact that Team Fortress 2 never had the level of 'hey it's coming THIS year (for real)' nonsense Duke Nukem Forever got. Also one must remember that Team Fortress Classic was put out to tide the fans just a year after Team Fortress 2 was announced (with no target date I might add). Other than one rumor in 2003 Team Fortress 2 was basically in information limbo for six years while Duke Nukem Forever seemed to have had a rumor every bloody year from 2001 to the present.
check out the duke nukem forever list [http://duke.a-13.net/], regarding the timeline and development of the game. there's a passage at the end from an apparent former developer of the game, telling how badly run the organization was, and that the trailers were "100% cinematic, and not actual gameplay". and now the project is cancelled

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Operations said:
geldonyetich said:
Imagine if you could go back in time and get hired by 3D Realms to work on Duke Nukem Forever? I could putz around inventing and reinventing a game for 10 years without having to worry about ever releasing because I know it's not meant to be.
You might have to shave off half your moustache though. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/de-rez/46-The-Truth-About-3D-Realms]
Cosplay Horatio said:
I agree, lets forget about this game forever.
What game?
Um, I forgot...

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
DisturbiaWolf13 said:
Broken Blade said:
Such an epic masterpiece, and a game that Yahtzee actually likes! See, it only takes a decade to make a game that fits his incredible standards!

Another excellent one, Yahtzee. I was howling half the time.
dear god i hope this guy is being sarcastic.
Yes, I was being sarcastic. I'm not stupid enough to believe that this was real.

kevin arnold

May 20, 2009
Awesome, although i haven't even seen it yet and my computer isn't working, but yeah it is a great video and i recommend it to everyone out there, wooo.....yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yossarian_pl

Mar 3, 2009
Pobster said:
Hmmm, I think the review is sarcastic actually
Yahtzee's review? Sarcastic? Impossible!

The review is ultimately win even by standards one would apply to Yahtzee's reviews - the Internet is over, go home everyone.

Flytch

Mar 11, 2008
Lopunny said:
wow, refreshed and there it was ^^ curse you yahtzee and your contribution to my procrasination of revising :p
Same:D I go on the pc to research William the Conqueror and end up watching yahtzee:p

GoldenTriforce

May 29, 2009
Duke hiding in Stockholm, the swedish ghetto, with a russian name.
Made me laugh the hardest.
And also felt abit insulted for having my capital being called a ghetto...
Not much though, or for long.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Thank you Yahtzee. Thank you for giving the most truly awesome game of all time the review it deserves. It was certainly worth the wait.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
hahaha classic. Actually thought he was being serious to start with. Think it was the acheivments part when it clicked (they were rather funny). Then thought that it took these guys (or monkeys) 12 years to get this far its hardly like they were gonna release it straight away

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
Well, if the gist is that 3DRealms can just stick it up their arses and fuck off while they're doing it, then I'm in full agreement.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Something I find amusing about Duke Nukem Forever's production time was since it was announced in 1997 there's been at least four other Duke Nukem games released (Time to Kill in 98, Zero Hour and the GBC Duke Nukem in 99, and Land of the Babes in 2000).