Zero Punctuation: Duke Nukem Forever

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Hahaha, this was a fucking brilliant stunt to pull.
Should've saved it for a special April Fool's Day release, but I guess that would have spoiled the surprise.

I was like hurr??? when I first saw the title, thinking I can't be that out of touch to have missed out on its release since seeing that rather short and unfulfilling teaser video a while back.
Then, as the claims grew exceedingly uncharacteristic of a series sustained by a tagline-spewing, misogynistic, mindless killer of a bodybuilder and absurd, even for Yahtzee's standards, I realized that he'd pulled a fast one on my fool ass, which served only to make it that much funnier.

Congrats, you've royally fucked 3D Realms' financial and creative future because they will never be able to top the expectations and ideas you've laid down.

GaelicValley91

May 21, 2009
I was totally fooled... I don't realise it wasn't even released yet, haha... that'll teach me for not reading end credits...

Pellucid

Mar 29, 2009
Why aren't we already at work modding Half-Life 2 to be exactly the game Yahtzee described?

GaelicValley91

May 21, 2009
13lackfriday said:
Congrats, you've royally fucked 3D Realms' financial and creative future because they will never be able to top the expectations and ideas you've laid down.
I checked the 3D Realms website, and I think they have shut down.... 20 days ago they posted news of the front page saying 'Goodbye'....

http://www.3drealms.com/

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
GaelicValley91 said:
13lackfriday said:
I checked the 3D Realms website, and I think they have shut down.... 20 days ago they posted news of the front page saying 'Goodbye'....

Hahaha, they must have heard Yahtzee started work on their franchise.

GaelicValley91

May 21, 2009
13lackfriday said:
GaelicValley91 said:
13lackfriday said:

Hahaha, they must have heard Yahtzee started work on their franchise.
Yahtzee might as well start work on it...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a5LJCCRIwYg0

Take-Two Sues Apogee Over ?Duke Nukem? Game Sequel

Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., the maker of the ?Grand Theft Auto? video games, sued Apogee Software Ltd.?s 3D Realms over the failed development of a sequel to the ?Duke Nukem? game called ?Duke Nukem Forever.?

Take-Two, owner of the publishing rights to the game, said Apogee breached an agreement to design the latest installment of Duke Nukem, a game in which the player ?shoots? enemies. The new version has been under development since 1997, the company said yesterday in a complaint in a state court in Manhattan.

3D Realms, which was based in Garland, Texas, never produced the game and instead closed its studio on May 6, terminated development of the game and fired employees who had been involved in the Duke Nukem project, Take-Two said.

?Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever,? Take-Two said in the complaint. ?Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever.?

Take-Two said in 2000 it had an agreement with Apogee and paid $12 million for publishing rights to the forthcoming game. In 2007, the two companies entered into a second agreement.

The case is Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. v. Apogee Software Ltd. 601457/2009, New York State Supreme Court, New York County (Manhattan).

Jedted

Mar 13, 2008
Great Review Yahtzee!

I wonder if all that stuff he mentioned is what he would constitute as the PERFECT GAME. I kinda wish more reviewers would do this kinda thing and just say all the things that THEY would want in a Duke Nukem game.

Oldmanwillow

Mar 30, 2009
Why hate on the duke??

I mean did you look at the video that was released after the DNF team got let go. it look amazing. For him to say that it looked like a generic gray FPS is totally bullshit. I know it has been twelve years and it should of been done by now. The only thing that makes this really tragic is this little video right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnv_tFKStQ. They were close to done and they need just a little more funding. Take two wouldn't give the funding know full well that they could get the right to the game when the product couldn't be completed.

If Yahtzee says that DNF is outdated because of half life because half life really innovated the storytelling aspect of the modern day FPS then why the hell did he like painkiller? Painkiller and duke nuke have the same idea, you kill as many people as you can is as many different ways possible. Its a simple fun idea.

Yahtzee i've already suffered enough this week with you rubbing it in.

LiquidSnake

Apr 5, 2009
Hehehe, Duke lives in Stockholm and rides a motorcycle in the swedish suburbs. :D

Anyway, very funny review.

Caylith

Apr 16, 2009
Actually, I didn't like the cooking part in Duke 4-evar. I was more compelled with all the great quick-time events whenever you missed to hit a vital body part on your opponents. ;-)

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Great show man, but I disagree with Duke going out of fashion after HL. Had we not known how interactive and rich an FPS game could be from Duke 3D, we wouldn't really have ground over Halo from the likes of HL nowadays.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
Nightv said:
As of this video I will not watch any more of the stuff on this website besides brawl, as you have much like an other person on this site that makes videos, done your research.

You do know they were self funded for the majority of the time, as well as they only got a small bit of money to work on it for take two.

And people that do not know otherwise watch this an think this is the real thing of what is going on.

Really now.... Why don't you do some research, or fuck right off. Any one is good at this point as your videos are more for shock value then, your old videos that where review value.
Yahtzee will knock off and do research when you buckle down and learn to clearly express your thoughts. Proofread every now and then; it will make a big difference.

Cheers.