Zero Punctuation: E.T. - "The Worst Game Ever"

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So now Zero Punctuation has reviewed the most lacking in good and the most having in good games ever (joking, of course). Admittedly it did allow for more Let's Drown Out references in the faster form so who am I to complain?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
It was okay, but for a segment exploring games history, you'd need a bit more time to explore the less obvious parts and implications thereof.

Alternatively, Yahtzee could dive into lesser known games, something a la Richard Corbett's 'Saturday Crapshoot' over at PCGamer.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Perhaps instead of talking about the summer drought he could do games he haven't gotten around to yet like Sniper Elite 3 :/

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Many publishers complained about Nintendo's third party licencing rules back in the NES days but it was all to prevent the atari crash all over again. So yeah someone did learn something....only to forget it many years later.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
Grand Theft Auto 3 would be a fascinating game to look back on now, given its incredible influence over gaming as a whole.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I find it funny that he brings up that notion of Nintendo stigmatizing gaming when they did that only a few years ago with Gabby Douglas drawing on a 3DS and declaring "I'm not a gamer" like it was positive thing.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
The whole history of humanity is pretty learning lessons the hard way only to forget them pretty quickly so as to repeat the whole cycle all over again. As the saying goes the more things change the more people will fuck up...wait I may have gotten that mixed up.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Intresting topic to see here.

There probably will never be such a thing like an entire industry going down the Gulli again, but I kinda see it coming for certain Genres, that will get into "first flop, then Forgotten" Terretory.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I get the feeling next time we're going to be taking a look at the bit wars of the 90s. Maybe he'll bring up the 3DO. Remember that? I highly doubt it, considering what a bomb it was. I only ever knew what it is because of the AVGN.

On a side note, is anyone else getting a little paranoid about the flood of low quality indie games on Steam? It just has me nervous. It probably won't crash the entire industry, but it might cause a recession in indie games.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'd like to live in the alternate world where Magnavox Odyssey prevented Atari & other consoles from ever existing. Then we could all have debates over Ralph Baer vs. Bill Gates when it comes to console vs. Windows PC.

And then maybe Humble Bundle & Steam wouldn't exist. So I couldn't make them take my money.

Still kind of odd ET is the worst game ever when compared to Custer's Revenge.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
An interesting and informative video. It make me wonder if anyone would dare to go back in time to fixed all of that (given the progammers more time to coded the game properly).

Also yes like a tool, I did look up Mac and Me mention in the end credit.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, it's certainly bad...but WORST?
I can think of less playable games.

"It caused the crash of 83'!"
No, not really. The shovelware gambit was going on for YEARS without relent or remorse at that point. E.T. is just the lynchpin because it was attached to a very prominent Spielburg film rather than the likes of "Contamination .7"

It's pure grain shit, make no mistake. But at least it doesn't crash every 10 fucking minutes, or wipe all your saves, or render the cart completely and utterly unplayable (Mega Man Battle Network 4 had a glitch that did exactly that).

I'm glad that Yahtzee actually brought that to light. Good on him.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Huh. Did anyone else think it looked like ET had a "coin purse"?

Anyway, that was an interesting diversion for the drought. :D
I too wonder what the games industry would be like if Atari hadn't pooed the bed, but kind of like Yahtzee said, ET was really just the final nail in their coffin. ;p

Also, don't worry Yahtzee. You'll be back to having too many games soon enough. ;D

Caylith

Apr 16, 2009
I remember having fun with Atari2600 games back in the day... but standards were a bit lower then. Good thing gamers developed more taste with time and saw that not all was good and shiny.

BTW: why not review "Divinity: Original Sin"? It's the best thing to happen since the Baldur's Gate remakes. It's true!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Interestingly, I think nowadays there is has been a resurgence of the problem that led to the crash: that of 3rd parties running rampant. While it isn't because of inexperience it is because of ineptitude. While revenue has increased, profits seem to decrease perhaps due to budgets inflating. You can also blame this on developers not cutting back on worthless bullshit and pushing cinematic but ultimately shallow experiences that don't really do anything for the industry. Thus we have the gaming equivalent of the New Hollywood movement; a bunch of arrogant, wannabe auteurs wasting money like it grows on trees but unlike New Hollywood they don't have the talent to balance it out (there is a distinct lack of Godfathers, Taxi Drivers, Apocalypse Nows, and The French Connections in the industry). Thus we have an industry that thinks it's bigger than it really is and refuses to cut back even thought it'd be in their best long-term interests. Maybe I would believe it's due to cynical cash-grabbing if it weren't for the fact that too many company have been making stupid business decisions. If they're going to be businessmen, at least be COMPETENT businessmen.

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
Zero Punctuation's Occasional Guide to Retarded Special Moments in Gaming History
Oh, Yahtzee.

And Rei Ayanami is clearly (clearly) the better embodiment of the word "waifu". Between her and Asuka, there's no debate. (Disclaimer: I have never watched Evangelion, but I have read the F*ckin' Otaku review [https://web.archive.org/web/20101120143240/http://catsonmars.com/otaku/articles/eva.php] of it.)

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
That's another critic who beat the Angry Video game Nerd to it. There are games out there worth reviewing, so I don't get his excuse unless he only does AAA game reviews now.