Zero Punctuation: E3 2014 - Deflate Your Hype Balloons

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So....I'm unclear. Is Yahtzee excited for E3? When he dropped at the end, that was him passing out from joy, right?

(the actual sound effect killed me. Maybe because I didn't expect it)

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
for iguanas rest stifles taffymakers

prettymuch what i expected from my angry austrailian games journalist

good vid

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
So....I'm unclear. Is Yahtzee excited for E3? When he dropped at the end, that was him passing out from joy, right?
It's either that or he wishes to engage in carnal relations with the robot vacuum cleaner.

Speaking of, I have this FANTASTIC idea for a new IP...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Micah Weil said:
It's either that or he wishes to engage in carnal relations with the robot vacuum cleaner.
I wonder if that interacts with his Nathan Drake fantasies.

Rule 34: the game?

Madmonk12345

Jun 14, 2012
Kinda odd to comment on how the other publishers tended towards CGI trailers when Nintendo had few if any of those with actual gameplay on constant display, but I suppose one has to do a bit more work to de-hype Nintendo this time around relative to the rest.

"De-hype is to the benefit of the consumer" has been his mantra WRT E3, after all.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Let's Drown Out is bursting into Zero Punctuation to such an extent that it can't breathe.

But for the most part I agree, and the hype for the new Zelda comes for it just existing rather than what it's about anyway.

The Xbox One controller will always be more comfortable and better looking than the 360 controller.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
From what I saw of E3 I have two points of interest: Phantom dust and Bloodborne. Phantom dust because it's a (remake? Prequel?) of the original xbox game of the same name. And Phantom Dust was the best game on the Xbox. Do not try to argue that point, you are wrong.

And bloodborne is the new From game. So yeah.

Unfortunately this means I would have to get both a ps4 and a xbox one to play both games. Because fuck.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Excellent video this week, lots of parts had me smiling, especially "POUND POUND POUND" bit. lol

All consoles had interesting games but none really sold a console for me. I think E3 is more of a teaser show now, to wet your appetite until they release more info and gameplay later in the year. Was disappointed there was no Fallout 4. Although a lot of games seem to be on last gen as well so no real reason to buy a new console yet.

Carbo

Dec 17, 2010
Come on Yahtzee, give Nintendo some credit - they finally came out with a new idea/IP instead of rehashing Mario all the time.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I mean really, what is E3 these days if not a giant three day long convention on why you should just buy a gaming PC and give up on the consoles all together?

Also can we can Splatoon something else? Like...Nintendo Splooge?
Just because it looks A. Awful, B. brimming with cream and C. covered in a sticky mess that makes me wonder how the designers got the green light.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Meh, a lot of these werent all that correct, I dont even like Battlefield Hardline (or 3, or 4) but white guys beating black guys? What!? Where did he picked up that?

At least he could have complained about EA simply showing devs all jolly while talking how "fullfilling" it is to work on whatever IP only showing about 5 seconds of a static enviorment for most games but no, I guess inexisting racism is a better joke.

Also the Fable joke didnt work since the bad guy doesnt have direct control over the enemies, only broad commands. The part where Microsoft only had old games as exclusives doesnt hold up that much either since there were plenty of new stuff there.

The Sony jokes could have been about the way they present stuff as exclusive while they arent (Grim Fandango being in PC too, GTA V and the online progression transfer, that shit is in all versions) or the "lets talk about POWERS for 20 minutes" but instead it was about how he doesnt like Uncharted or something.

Overall, this one felt very weak as usually the fun in this is to hear you rant about stuff while having some truth to it.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
All this and no reiteration of "but it doesn't justify forcing us to buy a clunky new console with no backwards compatibility"? Well, at least there's mention of the possibility of Sunset Overdrive being a timed exclusive. That flattens the only reason why I'd get an XbOne.

I guess the "grandad" analogy of Nintendo is fitting enough. Sure, they "play the jazz or country music" of having enough innovation of their old franchises. They also have the "take on some funny thing they saw the kids outside play with" in the forms of Splatoon and Devil's Third. But they're still
"masturbating"
and "randomly mentioning dancing with some broad back in the '50s" by showing Zelda 1 and Mario 1 gameplay.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
See, this is why I love Yahtzee. When moviebob did his "E3 thing", it was this annoying nonsense crossover of nothing at all to say with "hey, did you know I have this youtube thing", and all it did was leave my palm in my face.

Yahtzee mumbles about how he doesn't even want to mumble about E3, but at least it's genuinely funny like any zero punctuation.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Don't mind me. I'm just going to sit here being smug about how all the games I actually am hyped for didn't get a single mention by Yahtzee. :p

The Brian J

Apr 18, 2009
While I'm certainly hyped for some games (Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive stand out for me), I see where he's coming from here... E3 just doesn't feel hype anymore. The hypest thing that happened was the big Nintendo Smash Bros tournament, but that had nothing to do with new games.

It really feels like PAX is becoming the best gaming convention in the country... there's gameplay everywhere.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeesh, he sounded like he was getting pretty genuinely pissed off when it came to the EA segment. Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that apart from Rainbow Six the Siege and the new From Software game, I didn't see anything at this E3 that I wanted that hadn't already been announced. Maybe that would've been changed if I had actually watched it, but frankly, I couldn't be bothered.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Micah Weil said:
Daresay someone has already done that somewhere...

Ok, totally not more interesting in that smug, teasing cat.

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
I can usually tank/tolerate Yahtzee's Nintendo-hate, but can't Yahtzee give Nintendo a FEW points at least for how humorous their E3 Direct/Presentation was?

And for the record, I don't think Splatoon would be in Smash Bros at all.

Nintendo stuff aside, I don't really get hyped for E3 stuff. When it comes to games announced at E3, I usually think something along the lines of "Seems interesting, but I'll wait until it's actually out".