Zero Punctuation: E3 2014 - Deflate Your Hype Balloons

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Hope? For what, a reason to get a next gen console? E3 is helping me save money.

The only console I can see myself getting is a Wiiu and that's just for playing local multiplayer games. But there's got to be some more new & interesting (3rd party) titles before I seriously consider it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
AmberSword said:
I don't watch Zero Punctuation a lot, I come for the Jimquisition mostly, but I think people should give Yahtzee a break, his extreme cynicism is probably his character at work. I won't say I understand him or his video much, but every one of his videos I watched is him ranting about something, its his character, though I do find it quite annoying I think its necessary, nothing's ever perfect, and his character is just out to prove that.
It's no character, he's sharing what he really thinks, and he obviously made this episode to show where he stands and what we should prepare for. And the reason he's always crticising is because he's a critic, he said that in Mailbag episode, though he will sometimes give praise to certain parts of games he believes made it work.

You don't come to Yahtzee to hear the positives basically. Many here try to guess if he likes the game or not, but that's not really why he makes these episodes.

AmberSword

Jun 16, 2014
Nazulu said:
It's no character, he's sharing what he really thinks, and he obviously made this episode to show where he stands and what we should prepare for. And the reason he's always crticising is because he's a critic, he said that in Mailbag episode, though he will sometimes give praise to certain parts of games he believes made it work.

You don't come to Yahtzee to hear the positives basically. Many here try to guess if he likes the game or not, but that's not really why he makes these episodes.
More power to him then, like I said I appreciate the cynicism and negativity he brings to the table, even the best of products can and will have flaws. I generally don't watch his reviews because, well, I'm human. If I happen to really like something and he doesn't (which he probably will find a reason not to) then I might start getting irrational and make a big fuss out of his opinion, clouding my judgement. I prefer to avoid that, that's why I only watch his reviews of games that I don't like, yes I'm a scumbag like that. :)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
AmberSword said:
Nazulu said:

More power to him then, like I said I appreciate the cynicism and negativity he brings to the table, even the best of products can and will have flaws. I generally don't watch his reviews because, well, I'm human. If I happen to really like something and he doesn't (which he probably will find a reason not to) then I might start getting irrational and make a big fuss out of his opinion, clouding my judgement. I prefer to avoid that, that's why I only watch his reviews of games that I don't like, yes I'm a scumbag like that. :)
Hehe, I'm sure were all like that one way or another.

You just have to keep in mind he's not saying a game is bad until he really makes it clear. Otherwise he's just pointing out what the developers should fix up and that's it.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Wither 3 and Mortal Kombat X all look fucking fantastic, but Mortal Kombat was the only one I didn't already know about. The only net effect E3 has is that companies withhold promotional content so they have something to show off at E3, when they know everyone is watching.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Dexterity said:
Madmonk12345 said:
Kinda odd to comment on how the other publishers tended towards CGI trailers when Nintendo had few if any of those with actual gameplay on constant display, but I suppose one has to do a bit more work to de-hype Nintendo this time around relative to the rest.

"De-hype is to the benefit of the consumer" has been his mantra WRT E3, after all.
Nintendo had the treehouse event after E3 where they showed pretty extensive gameplay of most of the games they announced. They also had a Smash Bros tournament to promote the game.

The only game which didn't have true gameplay shown was the new unnamed Zelda title.
It was later claimed that the bit seen was gameplay, but with camera angles and slo mo stuff controlled to make it look more cinematic.

Only time will tell if that claim was at all true, of course.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Dexterity said:
Enlong said:
It was later claimed that the bit seen was gameplay, but with camera angles and slo mo stuff controlled to make it look more cinematic.

Only time will tell if that claim was at all true, of course.
It's still not enough to judge gameplay on.

And if I were to take a guess, I'd guess that it's a new parry mechanic, similar to the one in Wind Waker. In Wind Waker you can press A when an enemy's about to attack, and Link will do a longer animation to reposition himself and perform an attack.

The new Zelda game COULD still be bad, it could use motion controls like Skyward Sword, or the touch screen like Spirit Tracks. We really can't tell yet.
And what's bad about-

...wait, no, I can see where that would lead.

Yeah, only time will tell.

Aug 8, 2010
Croshaw is actually on the cusp of mentioning the truth, and that is the unfortunate news that the video game industry has cancer. Meanwhile, male podcasters including trigger warnings, apologising for being cisgendered males whatever the hell that is and Eurogamer writing blubby articles apologising for sexism whilst staring at their manginas in the mirror, is the distraction from this fact.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Coolblue said:
LordTerminal said:
Carbo said:
Come on Yahtzee, give Nintendo some credit - they finally came out with a new idea/IP instead of rehashing Mario all the time.
Actually TWO new IPs. Codename S.T.E.A.M. had an entire 90 minute roundtable dedicated to it. Really Yahtzee? You wonder why Nintendo doesn't make new IPs when that's how you and pretty much every schmeg w/ the gall to call themselves a gamer acts when they actually DO make new IPs?
Exactly. And I also feel like this is Yahtzee's biggest fucking problem nowadays; He's got too much god damn wax in his ears that he can't read anything farther than Mario, Zelda or any of Nintendo's other IP's. He was really fucking late for the whole "Hyrule Warriors (name not final)" joke, plus there was also shit I expected him to bash on, A.K.A. the whole Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker fiasco, amiibo stuff and hell, even Miyamoto's new games, Yarn Yoshi and Xenoblade Chronicles. There was a ton of stuff from Nintendo that he missed. And i'm sorry if I still sound like Nintendo Fanboy #18422, but i've said my point before, and i'll say it again: Yahtzee HAS NO REASON to avoid Nintendo and their new things. He needs to get the gunk out of his ears and eyes and actually LOOK at the new things Nintendo's doing, instead of just saying "Oh there's Mario and Zelda and that's about it". And really, the more he's doing this the more it's not doing him justice.
Totally agree, while most people seem to agree Nintendo won E3 and still Yahtzee seems to think it makes him superior to sneer at or just plain ignore most everything they do. Sure ***** about them, but give some fucking credit where its due...

VVThoughtBox

Mar 3, 2014
Why would I deflate my Hype Balloons? I don't watch E3 at all. Despite Nintentdo "winning" the expo, I'm not going to buy the WiiU just so I can buy Super Smash Bros, Legend of Zelda, Hyrule Warriors, and Star Fox. Now that Smash Bros is coming to the 3DS, I don't even need to buy the WiiU to get the game.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010

Yes, Microsoft only had 3 new IPs this year, but that's not a positive thing.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
irishda said:
Madmonk12345 said:
Kinda odd to comment on how the other publishers tended towards CGI trailers when Nintendo had few if any of those with actual gameplay on constant display, but I suppose one has to do a bit more work to de-hype Nintendo this time around relative to the rest.

"De-hype is to the benefit of the consumer" has been his mantra WRT E3, after all.
Nintendo is to new IPs what TV Land is to new shows: there might be one or two kicking around but bugger all if anyone knows what those are when they're buried in the mountain of rubble that is repeating series. People complain EA just puts out new iterations of what we have and then pop a boner because Smash Bros. increased the roster and that's worth $60.

There.
So you're comparing a game that gets a new release once every generation, gets a whole graphical update, changes the physics, balance and roaster with games that get released on yearly basis with a few changes in between?

There are 3 Smash games out, 5 by the end of the year. The first one got out in January 1999.
Sony released 5 Uncharted games since 2007.
Activision released 8 CoD games since 2006.
EA finished a whole trilogy in 5 years.
Ubisoft released 17 fucking Assassin's Creed games since 2007.

Nope, Nintendo releasing 5 games since 1999 is clearly worse.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Quellist said:
Totally agree, while most people seem to agree Nintendo won E3 and still Yahtzee seems to think it makes him superior to sneer at or just plain ignore most everything they do. Sure ***** about them, but give some fucking credit where its due...
YEAH! Two new ideas is a damn milestone for Nintendo. Suck it up, Yahtzee.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
irishda said:
Quellist said:
YEAH! Two new ideas is a damn milestone for Nintendo. Suck it up, Yahtzee.
irishda said:

Yes, Microsoft only had 3 new IPs this year, but that's not a positive thing.

Because games can only be good if they are completely new IPs right? Fuck old games, fuck new entries in known franchises. They can't be good because they aren't new.

Also Hyrule Warriors and Mario Maker are new IPs. While they use some other, old content, they are new IPs. Hyrule Warrior clearly isn't a Legend of Zelda game despite staring Link and Zelda.

Fantasy Life and Fossil Fighter as overused as well.

The robo game that Miyamoto is working on is also a new IP, but hey, that doesn't fit your argument so we will ignore it.

While Xenoblade Chronicles X has the same name as the Wii game (minus the X), it's obvious to anyone who watched the gameplay trailer that the similarities stop with the combat and huge open world. But hey, it's the second game in the franchise, that's obvious bad.

Devil's Third is clearly a old overused IP as well. Fuck that.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
So you're comparing a game that gets a new release once every generation, gets a whole graphical update, changes the physics, balance and roaster with games that get released on yearly basis with a few changes in between?

There are 3 Smash games out, 5 by the end of the year. The first one got out in January 1999.

I didn't say worse; I just said comparable. It's not my fault you think every attack on one is an elevation of another. Ideally, there's a lot fewer instances of "sequels" because gamers actually stick by their insistence for more new IPs, instead of "Ugh ANOTHER Call of Duty. ERMAHGERD A NEW ZELDA!"

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
irishda said:
BiH-Kira said:

I didn't say worse; I just said comparable. It's not my fault you think every attack on one is an elevation of another. Ideally, there's a lot fewer instances of "sequels" because gamers actually stick by their insistence for more new IPs, instead of "Ugh ANOTHER Call of Duty. ERMAHGERD A NEW ZELDA!"
But that's not even comparable.
One is a game that comes out once a generation with lots of changes while the other comes out once a year with minor changes.

Just look at the fucking Assassin's Creed numbers. 17 games in 7 years. That's ~2.4 games per year.
Sony released the same number of games in a single generation as Nintendo over the coarse of 3 generations.
EA finished 2 trilogies in a single generation.

Also gamer want new IPs only when they're talking. When they need to prove that with their wallets, nothing. A new CoD comes out, it sells millions in a single night. A new IP comes out, it sells like shit and people ask for a new CoD.

If you said Mario, your argument valid, but not freaking Smash.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
And so, another E3 passes with Valve sitting in the back, quietly and arrogantly smirking as they continue to sit on Half Life 3 like GRR Martin keeps sitting on GoT.