Zero Punctuation: E3 2017

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
That new BG&E 2 trailer can go die with that other BG&E 2 trailer from like 10 years ago as far as I'm concerned.

Yahtzee Croshaw said:
What's with all the fucking profanity?
Really surprised to hear that much swearing in an announcement trailer, and to hear Yahtzee, of all people, call them out on it. I guess he recognizes that games can be for kids, too.
William Brady said:
Jacked Assassin said:
At 3:52 I forgot that game so fast that I thought Yahtzee was talking Beyond 2 Souls.

Should I be surprised that Bethesda didn't get insulted?
Or acknowledge that Bethesda was that bland?
Because the only thing I remember from Bethesda is that Cat Headed Monkey.
I'm surprised that Yahtzee hasn't torn Bethesda a new one, concerning the abysmal first impressions made on the Creation Club. But I'm guessing he just loves tickling their fancies, given their constant shilling of a 6 year old game.
The only announcement from Bethesda that sticks with me is their second Wolfenstein game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
William Brady said:
Because for one, in the case of Nintendo, why would he have the gall to say that the company has zero respect for one of their most beloved franchises at this point? Since by that logic, they could've announced a continuation of Other M or Federation Force, just to spit in the faces of Metroid fans some more, yet they never done that for this year's E3. Plus, they didn't just announce Metroid Prime 4, but even an actual Metroid game coming for the 3DS.

Second, wasn't Egypt one of the most requested ideas from gamers to have the next Assassin's Creed game be set in? Also, how do you know for certain that Assassin's Creed Origins is just going to be a mechanically confusing mess much like everything since Assassin's Creed 3, based on what they showed of the gameplay? Because, from what they showed off of it so far, it really doesn't look half bad, and might actually end up being a ton of fun, possibly bringing some much needed excitement and life back into the series.

Third, outside of the bizarre dance number and obligatory Just Dance sequel announcement, how was Ubisoft's E3 2017 press conference truly bad in any way? They didn't have any cringe that was prevalent from their past outings, there's a level of sincerity from many of the developers of games being announced, and a ton of focus on the actual games (regardless of wether any of them appeal to you or not). So really, if you ask me, I'd actually say that they've surprisingly ended up winning this year's E3, which says a lot given the company's reputation.

Fourth, they've finally given the official release dates for long-awaited games, such as with Cuphead and South Park: The Fractured But Whole. What more do you even want there?

And lastly, what's wrong with having more of the insanity and fun that is Terry Crews? Since he's a truly precious being.
First, while I'm excited for Prime 4, we can't really skate around the fact that Metroid fans like myself had to be very fucking patient to get to this point. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption will be a sodding decade old in a couple of months and what have we had to fill the gap between then and now? A release on the Prime Trilogy (Decent but more of something to tide us over while we wait for more stuff) a game that absolutely butchered Samus' character and a rather generic game that decided we needed to know the stories of the Federation Marines, when their best role in the franchise until that point was getting brutally slaughtered by the Ing. Combine that with the long wait for anything good, the general silence on the matter and Nintendo taking down AM2R (which makes sense now we know they're working on a Metroid 2 remake but still pissed a lot of people off because Nintendo looked like they were being petty dicks) I fully understand why Metroid fans would feel a bit alienated and others will feel downright bitter. Doubly so when we haven't seen any gameplay of Prime 4 yet. I'm fairly optimistic but it's only natural that others aren't.

Second, well yeah it was, but when he reviewed Syndicate he even said that he used to like the idea of Assassin's Creed in Victorian London, but lost interest after the games had become generic and cluttered.

Well above and the fact that they have the gall to ask for eight hundred bucks for one of the limited editions of Origins.

He may just not care about him. Cuphead is hardly something to grab attention and his opinion of the Stick of Truth was a resounding "It's all right."

William Brady

Jan 20, 2014
erttheking said:
William Brady said:
Because for one, in the case of Nintendo, why would he have the gall to say that the company has zero respect for one of their most beloved franchises at this point? Since by that logic, they could've announced a continuation of Other M or Federation Force, just to spit in the faces of Metroid fans some more, yet they never done that for this year's E3. Plus, they didn't just announce Metroid Prime 4, but even an actual Metroid game coming for the 3DS.

Second, wasn't Egypt one of the most requested ideas from gamers to have the next Assassin's Creed game be set in? Also, how do you know for certain that Assassin's Creed Origins is just going to be a mechanically confusing mess much like everything since Assassin's Creed 3, based on what they showed of the gameplay? Because, from what they showed off of it so far, it really doesn't look half bad, and might actually end up being a ton of fun, possibly bringing some much needed excitement and life back into the series.

Third, outside of the bizarre dance number and obligatory Just Dance sequel announcement, how was Ubisoft's E3 2017 press conference truly bad in any way? They didn't have any cringe that was prevalent from their past outings, there's a level of sincerity from many of the developers of games being announced, and a ton of focus on the actual games (regardless of wether any of them appeal to you or not). So really, if you ask me, I'd actually say that they've surprisingly ended up winning this year's E3, which says a lot given the company's reputation.

Fourth, they've finally given the official release dates for long-awaited games, such as with Cuphead and South Park: The Fractured But Whole. What more do you even want there?

And lastly, what's wrong with having more of the insanity and fun that is Terry Crews? Since he's a truly precious being.
First, while I'm excited for Prime 4, we can't really skate around the fact that Metroid fans like myself had to be very fucking patient to get to this point. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption will be a sodding decade old in a couple of months and what have we had to fill the gap between then and now? A release on the Prime Trilogy (Decent but more of something to tide us over while we wait for more stuff) a game that absolutely butchered Samus' character and a rather generic game that decided we needed to know the stories of the Federation Marines, when their best role in the franchise until that point was getting brutally slaughtered by the Ing. Combine that with the long wait for anything good, the general silence on the matter and Nintendo taking down AM2R (which makes sense now we know they're working on a Metroid 2 remake but still pissed a lot of people off because Nintendo looked like they were being petty dicks) I fully understand why Metroid fans would feel a bit alienated and others will feel downright bitter. Doubly so when we haven't seen any gameplay of Prime 4 yet. I'm fairly optimistic but it's only natural that others aren't.

Second, well yeah it was, but when he reviewed Syndicate he even said that he used to like the idea of Assassin's Creed in Victorian London, but lost interest after the games had become generic and cluttered.

Well above and the fact that they have the gall to ask for eight hundred bucks for one of the limited editions of Origins.

He may just not care about him. Cuphead is hardly something to grab attention and his opinion of the Stick of Truth was a resounding "It's all right."
Well, how can Yahtzee say for certain that Assassin's Creed Origins is just going to end up being the same generic and cluttered mess that plauged the series since 3? Even based off the demos they showcased so far, it seems to borrow some of the innovative gameplay elements/features from Breath of the Wild. Which given how the game is near universally acclaimed, I don't see how that's a bad thing, if they're taking the stuff that works in games like that, and implementing such things into the new Assassin's Creed. While still keeping the integral aspects which made 1 through Brotherhood actually fun games in the first place.

However, one thing I will agree on, is that Ubisoft is incredibly stupid to really plan on having an $800 special edition for Origins. Going the route of the first Watch_Dogs special edition bundles, and ludicrously taking all of that up to eleven.

theproductofboredom

Nov 13, 2013
William Brady said:
["]

Second, wasn't Egypt one of the most requested ideas from gamers to have the next Assassin's Creed game be set in? Also, how do you know for certain that Assassin's Creed Origins is just going to be a mechanically confusing mess much like everything since Assassin's Creed 3, based on what they showed of the gameplay?

And lastly, what's wrong with having more of the insanity and fun that is Terry Crews? Since he's a truly precious being....

...Well, how can Yahtzee say for certain that tAssassin's Creed Origins is just going to end up being the same generic and cluttered mess that plauged the series since 3?
Yahtzee is a pessimist, and there is very little he gives the benefit of the doubt to anymore. He assumes everything is shit and waits to be proven wrong, a stance he encourages his viewers to take as well.

Refer to this chart for additional information: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2b/f1/78/2bf17859020bb7e8d5c8590beb6290c9.jpg

William Brady

Jan 20, 2014
theproductofboredom said:
William Brady said:
["]

Second, wasn't Egypt one of the most requested ideas from gamers to have the next Assassin's Creed game be set in? Also, how do you know for certain that Assassin's Creed Origins is just going to be a mechanically confusing mess much like everything since Assassin's Creed 3, based on what they showed of the gameplay?

And lastly, what's wrong with having more of the insanity and fun that is Terry Crews? Since he's a truly precious being....

...Well, how can Yahtzee say for certain that tAssassin's Creed Origins is just going to end up being the same generic and cluttered mess that plauged the series since 3?
Yahtzee is a pessimist, and there is very little he gives the benefit of the doubt to anymore. He assumes everything is shit and waits to be proven wrong, a stance he encourages his viewers to take as well.

Refer to this chart for additional information: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2b/f1/78/2bf17859020bb7e8d5c8590beb6290c9.jpg
I'll grant you, I can understand why he feels that way. However, for me personally, I tend to look at video games along with the whole industry in general, from a more realist perspective, much like with Angry Joe and Jim Sterling (more so the former, given how incredibly stupid Jim has been lately on political issues sadly, especially with his twitter, talking down to people who are still mostly okay with President Trump, demonizing ALL conservatives and Republicans, and thinking that punching Nazis even when they aren't physically threatening/assaulting anyone is totally okay).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
William Brady said:
Yahtzee is a Metroid fan(boy) and it's fair to say that he didn't like Other M or Federation Force.

That said, I don't think you can say Nintendo has zero respect for Metroid fans based on those examples. Haven't played either, but Other M was produced with the intention of it being a full fledged Metroid game. A game that had a divided reaction, sure, but I can't fault their intentions. While I haven't played either, I find Other M far less cynical than something like Star Fox Zero, which rebooted the Star Fox universe (again), which reportedly played like crap (again...yes, I haven't forgotten you, Command), which means that we haven't had a good Star Fox game since 2005 (Assault), and has likely killed the series for the forseeable future, and killed the old continuity indefinately. That might seem like a tangent, but when you consider that Metroid had a game in 2016 (which does strike me as being a bit more cynical), will have another game in 2017 (Samus Returns), and a third game in 2018 (Prime 4), it's hard for me to buy the idea of the Metroid franchise being one of languishing fans, when other franchises, Nintendo or otherwise, have been far more neglected.

William Brady said:
Second, wasn't Egypt one of the most requested ideas from gamers to have the next Assassin's Creed game be set in?
I thought Japan was one of the most?

Anyway, Assassin's Creed looks like more of the same at this point (to me, personally). I mean, I've only ever played the first game, but seeing these buggers come out year after year, I can't help but be exposed to them.

Igor-Rowan said:
Speaking of Sonic and head-scratchers what's with the Mario Odyssey-Sonic 06 comparasion?
The presence of a cartoony hedgehog/plummer being in the presence of normally proportioned humans.

That said, Odyssey reminds me more of SA1 than 2006 (New Donk City is more like Station Square than Soleanna).

Igor-Rowan said:
And apparently the developer, IllFonic, also co-developed Sonic Boom, yet they were weirdly absent when it came the time to point fingers and start blaming.
News to me. Big Red Button developed Rise of Lyric, Sanzaru Games developed the handheld games.

William Brady

Jan 20, 2014
Hawki said:
William Brady said:
Yahtzee is a Metroid fan(boy) and it's fair to say that he didn't like Other M or Federation Force.

That said, I don't think you can say Nintendo has zero respect for Metroid fans based on those examples. Haven't played either, but Other M was produced with the intention of it being a full fledged Metroid game. A game that had a divided reaction, sure, but I can't fault their intentions. While I haven't played either, I find Other M far less cynical than something like Star Fox Zero, which rebooted the Star Fox universe (again), which reportedly played like crap (again...yes, I haven't forgotten you, Command), which means that we haven't had a good Star Fox game since 2005 (Assault), and has likely killed the series for the forseeable future, and killed the old continuity indefinately. That might seem like a tangent, but when you consider that Metroid had a game in 2016 (which does strike me as being a bit more cynical), will have another game in 2017 (Samus Returns), and a third game in 2018 (Prime 4), it's hard for me to buy the idea of the Metroid franchise being one of languishing fans, when other franchises, Nintendo or otherwise, have been far more neglected.

William Brady said:
Second, wasn't Egypt one of the most requested ideas from gamers to have the next Assassin's Creed game be set in?
I thought Japan was one of the most?

Anyway, Assassin's Creed looks like more of the same at this point (to me, personally). I mean, I've only ever played the first game, but seeing these buggers come out year after year, I can't help but be exposed to them.

Igor-Rowan said:
Speaking of Sonic and head-scratchers what's with the Mario Odyssey-Sonic 06 comparasion?
The presence of a cartoony hedgehog/plummer being in the presence of normally proportioned humans.

That said, Odyssey reminds me more of SA1 than 2006 (New Donk City is more like Station Square than Soleanna).

Igor-Rowan said:
And apparently the developer, IllFonic, also co-developed Sonic Boom, yet they were weirdly absent when it came the time to point fingers and start blaming.
News to me. Big Red Button developed Rise of Lyric, Sanzaru Games developed the handheld games.
Now, while in all fairness, I do agree with Yahtzee on how Other M and Federation Force were pretty bad games, I think he's really overreaching when he suggests that Nintendo, even after this year's E3, are just spitting in the faces of fans of one of their most popular franchises.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Hawki said:
I wouldn't say fanboy really, no Metroid fanboy would ever admit to Castlevania being better than Metroid.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
GrumbleGrump said:
Hawki said:
I wouldn't say fanboy really, no Metroid fanboy would ever admit to Castlevania being better than Metroid.
Did he do that?

Also, what if he's a Metroid fanboy AND a Castlevania fanboy? What then?

Though, to be fair, I guess you could argue that Yahtzee isn't a fanboy given his loathing of both Other M and Federation Force, whereas a fanboy would still defend them.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
This video certainly was... all over the place. Although I did get a kick out of the joke about the viewer getting to choose which open world game he was talking about, because all open world games are turning into exhaustingly similar slogs to me, which is why I still have not finished Breath of the Wild.

Assassin's Creed: Origins' announcement (Ubisoft may now tick yet another overly used subtitle off their bingo card) kind of reminded me of a kid that runs away from home... down the street to a friend's house until dinner. "I'm back! Boy, I'll bet you sure did miss me!" Not really. Personally, having played every game in the franchise since it's debut with increasing boredom since Brotherhood, I'm burnt out on the series and just can't bring myself to care about Origins at all other than to snicker at yet another announcement that came as such a non-shocker that I even forgot AC wasn't present at E3 last year.

Also, if Anthem's painfully, obviously, scripted player chatter wasn't hilarious enough, you should see the Mass Effect community's reaction to the game's very existence.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Gotta love all the rhetoric surrounding the post-E3 coverage. "Who won E3? What company is the best?" I don't know but asking that is (to plagiarize myself) like asking who won in the pie eating contest story in Stand By Me. It's an empty dog and pony show every year and asking which faceless corporation did better when they'd happily murder me and piss on my sexy corpse just to gain another couple percent of the market share strikes me as ridiculous. At this point, there are no major game companies that haven't tried to pull some degree of shifty garbage on gamers.

I thought we were all through with this obnoxious "console wars" nonsense but I guess not.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
E3 was quite a bore. There isn't even really anything to discuss.

I really thought Yahtzee would bring out his dick and slap E3 around a bit more. Well, I guess the idea of Friday the 13th being more interesting than E3 is a big riff already.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
At this point, you could re-name the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) to Continuous Circle-jerk Convention (C3) and nothing would change.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Bindal said:
They were and it told me bugger all about Friday the 13th and less-than-usual about E3
...which I would defiantly argue was exactly the amount of acknowledgment both of them deserve

darkrage6 said:
Yahtzee's right, don't be a Nintendo fanboy, -- Sounds like you are new to Yahtzee, he exaggerates things for comic effect.
Boy I wish we could upvote comments on this site...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, I get the feeling Yathzee didn't particularly care much about either. E3 especially where "Hey, we're gonna spend 3 days advertising to you with footage that has a 90% chance of not representing the game at all. PLEASE PRE-ORDER! WHY AREN'T YOU EXCITED?"

I think there were maybe 2 or 3 games I'm kind of interested in out of that whole thing. Which means if they're good, I'll pick them up a couple months or a year after they drop.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
That new BG&E 2 trailer can go die with that other BG&E 2 trailer from like 10 years ago as far as I'm concerned.

Yahtzee Croshaw said:
What's with all the fucking profanity?
Really surprised to hear that much swearing in an announcement trailer, and to hear Yahtzee, of all people, call them out on it. I guess he recognizes that games can be for kids, too.
They are for kids, and that trailer was for kids too... you know, the kind of kids that feel they are so grown up because they can say "fuck", and play into that try-hard garbage because they feel they are getting away with that.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
*sigh* Don't tell me: Yahtzee doesn't even know what Ace Combat is, let alone give half a crap.

Pity. If only he knew about Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown going back to the PS2-era style of the franchise...