Zero Punctuation: E3 2017

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Hawki said:
GrumbleGrump said:
Hawki said:
Yahtzee is a Metroid fan(boy) and it's fair to say that he didn't like Other M or Federation Force.
I wouldn't say fanboy really, no Metroid fanboy would ever admit to Castlevania being better than Metroid.
Did he do that?

Also, what if he's a Metroid fanboy AND a Castlevania fanboy? What then?

Though, to be fair, I guess you could argue that Yahtzee isn't a fanboy given his loathing of both Other M and Federation Force, whereas a fanboy would still defend them.
He said it in his Strider review, I think, besides mentioning it in one of his drown outs/lets plays.
I really haven't seen a single Metroid fan defend Other M. The only person I've seen defending it is the luminary of philosophy, Bob "Meritocracy = Right Wing Ideology = Bad" Chipman himself.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
American Tanker said:
*sigh* Don't tell me: Yahtzee doesn't even know what Ace Combat is, let alone give half a crap.

Pity. If only he knew about Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown going back to the PS2-era style of the franchise...
You...do realize that if Yahtzee doesn't know about Ace Combat, then saying it's going back to the PS2-era wouldn't mean anything to him?

But you're not going to fit everything into a 5 minute video, and Ace Combat is a niche franchise.

GrumbleGrump said:
He said it in his Strider review, I think,
I checked the transcript, he mentions Metroid, but doesn't really contrast it with Castlevania.

GrumbleGrump said:
I really haven't seen a single Metroid fan defend Other M. The only person I've seen defending it is the luminary of philosophy, Bob "Meritocracy = Right Wing Ideology = Bad" Chipman himself.
Isn't that being disingenuous? The idea that a Metroid fan can only "defend" Other M, rather than genuinely like it? Even that aside, it isn't hard - YouTube is a good example. Likewise, on this site, I discussed Metroid with another user (forget who) who placed Other M as being 'middle of the road' - not as good as Prime or Super Metroid, but better than Hunters and Fusion (other games were mentioned, forget where they were).

Likewise, I don't think defending something makes you a fanboy. For instance, I really, REALLY dislike Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight, and that isn't an uncommon view to have. That said, I have defended it in the knowledge/belief that a) it isn't completely bereft of value, and b) given its rushed development, I can understand why it turned out the way it did. Defending something isn't the same as giving it a free pass.