Zero Punctuation: Epic Mickey

Translated

Sep 24, 2010
HentMas said:
Translated said:
you are right, Disney is a "company", a "Brand", a "Name" and as such it has to look after it interest the best it can acording to the situation, but latelly they do seem to be more tame, with the sequels they take away a lot of the original elements that could had being considered "controversial"
so in my very personal opinion, i DO can tell that Disney WAS more edgy and dark and catered to make children "Grow", but now they just cater to make children "entertained" and that speaks volumes of a company that with the years has lost its heart in exchange of "safety risks" and "profit".

so yeah, we might not be able to point out a defining momment on the past, but we surelly can point out that right now, what defines "Disney" is profit, and safe investments.
Sorry to respond to your posts in reverse order. :)

If we're going to look at risk-taking in the Disney brand, I think we can see one of the biggest transformations during the 90s. Though the company had already gone through several transformations (first from animation only to animation and live action content and from content provider to content outlet, etc.) the one during the 90s is both readily analyzed and of particular note. There's a great deal of discussion on this in the WikiPedia entry "Disney Renaissance" so I won't go over that too much. I will, however, note that I diverge from some of the points made in that article by saying that Toy Story (released the year after The Lion King) marked a shift in the primary thrust of Disney's business from their own traditional animation to increasingly looking to the outside for inspiration.

We see this not only in the move from traditional to computer animation (both in their own releases and the new ones through Pixar) but also within the content of the traditional animation itself. If we look at (for instance) the use of chins in character designs, we see a transformation from a readily identifiable "Disney look" to one more influenced by other styles. Take the chins in "The Little Mermaid" and compare them to the ones in "Beauty and the Beast" and then jump straight to "Hercules" and you'll see a deliberate choice to go with a different style to compliment the material in the latter, rather than to make the latter "fit Disney". Look at Mulan and you'll see that again. And by "The Emperor's New Groove" you wouldn't have been surprised if someone had told you that it had been designed by another studio.

Now that's not to criticize those films, as that's a separate issue entirely, but rather to show that Disney was changing. Over the next decade, we would see Disney increasingly defined by Pixar's films, the Disney Channel and other outlets rather than by their core animation studio. As a result, the content from their "safer" ventures has come to define the public perception more and more (exempting Pixar). Disney's live-action family films have never been known for their risk-taking and the "non-canon" animated sequels (not my term, just borrowed from the Disney Wiki article I mentioned) or spin-off TV shows have been even less so. That's why even though the Disney TV animation department was more a product of the 80s, that it was only as the core feature film animated brand became less iconic, that this other work has come to be how many people knew Disney.

I'm just barely touching on a much broader issue here, but I think it provides food for finding out more, at the very least.

Translated

Sep 24, 2010
HentMas said:
Translated said:
HentMas said:
Translated said:
Well, once again we're dealing with a more complex issue. A decade ago, the argument about Disney vs. Pixar was almost as cut and dried as depicted here. But Disney bought Pixar, so Pixar is now part of the Disney in the same way as Junction Point (which Disney also bought). Since Junction Point made Mickey, one could compare the two as both being "Disney products", since neither is more independent.
you make a good point, but "branch wise" the only ones that could take a back lash from this would be "Pixar" wich functions as a "branch" effectivelly covering the name of "Disney", if all goes to hell (this is a very hipotetical reasoning) Disney can blame the "Pixar" branch and close it off, and make sure the punishment goes to them, and they would remain with their public image untouched

Like when Janet Jackson had the famous "wardrobe malfunction" on the super bowl, they cut ties with her and went merrily on their way, leaving the "Disney" immage intact.
I think in this case the differentiation isn't found at the corporate level (where either company, Junction Point or Pixar, could be held up as an "isolated example" if something went wrong). Epic Mickey isn't a product of Disney's core "animation" or "family film" branches and Disney isn't known for their gaming products in the same way that they are known for their films (though some of their games have done fine by the gaming press, such as Aladdin for the Sega Genesis during the 90s to cite a childhood example). In both these cases, however, we can look at Disney more as "publisher" than "developer/creator" here, but in that case we have to do so for both examples.

The difference, as you alluded to with your comment about "the 'Disney' image", is in the use of the company's primary IP. A game that features Mickey Mouse is inextricably linked to Disney in the public consciousness, much as any game that features Mario is linked to Nintendo. You're right: that's an important distinction. It's much riskier to "mess with" the core aspects of your brand than to experiment with a new IP. That's one of the many reasons why purchasing Pixar was so attractive to Disney in the first place: they frequently created market-viable new IP that Disney could leverage. If Pixar had only been interested in making movies based off existing Disney characters, Disney probably wouldn't have been as ready to take a chance.
well, all i have to say or add is that i agree with everything you just said!!

isnt it nice when you find common grownd on the "internetz"? :p
Thanks, I've been enjoying responding to your posts!

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
So the levels look like ass, or more like an unfinished puzzle...balanced on someone's ass?
That pretty much qualifies the game's design as plain bad, which never bodes well for "platformers."

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Like I said on another page about Epic Mickey, I think Warren Spector had his "Dark Mickey/Light Mickey" idea, then someone raised a ruckus about it, Spector tried to backtrack but had to release a game on time and that's why the game is made of Epic...Fail because everything else had to be worked on and it ended up being less fine tuned than it should have been.

Oh well, I might still play it, regardless of what Everybody has said thus far.

and if it isn't good, well, we still have Kingdom Hearts and my copy of Mickey's Magical Quest to keep me entertained.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Translated said:
HentMas said:
Translated said:
you are right, Disney is a "company", a "Brand", a "Name" and as such it has to look after it interest the best it can acording to the situation, but latelly they do seem to be more tame, with the sequels they take away a lot of the original elements that could had being considered "controversial"
so in my very personal opinion, i DO can tell that Disney WAS more edgy and dark and catered to make children "Grow", but now they just cater to make children "entertained" and that speaks volumes of a company that with the years has lost its heart in exchange of "safety risks" and "profit".

so yeah, we might not be able to point out a defining momment on the past, but we surelly can point out that right now, what defines "Disney" is profit, and safe investments.
Sorry to respond to your posts in reverse order. :)

If we're going to look at risk-taking in the Disney brand, I think we can see one of the biggest transformations during the 90s. Though the company had already gone through several transformations (first from animation only to animation and live action content and from content provider to content outlet, etc.) the one during the 90s is both readily analyzed and of particular note. There's a great deal of discussion on this in the WikiPedia entry "Disney Renaissance" so I won't go over that too much. I will, however, note that I diverge from some of the points made in that article by saying that Toy Story (released the year after The Lion King) marked a shift in the primary thrust of Disney's business from their own traditional animation to increasingly looking to the outside for inspiration.

We see this not only in the move from traditional to computer animation (both in their own releases and the new ones through Pixar) but also within the content of the traditional animation itself. If we look at (for instance) the use of chins in character designs, we see a transformation from a readily identifiable "Disney look" to one more influenced by other styles. Take the chins in "The Little Mermaid" and compare them to the ones in "Beauty and the Beast" and then jump straight to "Hercules" and you'll see a deliberate choice to go with a different style to compliment the material in the latter, rather than to make the latter "fit Disney". Look at Mulan and you'll see that again. And by "The Emperor's New Groove" you wouldn't have been surprised if someone had told you that it had been designed by another studio.

Now that's not to criticize those films, as that's a separate issue entirely, but rather to show that Disney was changing. Over the next decade, we would see Disney increasingly defined by Pixar's films, the Disney Channel and other outlets rather than by their core animation studio. As a result, the content from their "safer" ventures has come to define the public perception more and more (exempting Pixar). Disney's live-action family films have never been known for their risk-taking and the "non-canon" animated sequels (not my term, just borrowed from the Disney Wiki article I mentioned) or spin-off TV shows have been even less so. That's why even though the Disney TV animation department was more a product of the 80s, that it was only as the core feature film animated brand became less iconic, that this other work has come to be how many people knew Disney.

I'm just barely touching on a much broader issue here, but I think it provides food for finding out more, at the very least.
thanks for the path, i will research further once i have time, but i do understand (after your explanation) that there isnt just "one" disney, but several, and each is more in tune with its own revenue than the other, the movie makers, the live action makers, the cartoon makers, and even the "branch" makers construct the "whole" of disney, and it would be dumb in my part not to acknowledge that each has its own merits and its own flaws...

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Lordofthesuplex said:
mr_rubino said:
Ah, yet another person who is better than us working class schmos who readily agree with anything that talks at us loud enough decides to show up and go on about his awesomeness. Where would we be without you free-thinking radicals to show us that the unpopular opinion is always correct?
Too bad everyone agreed with him in the 3 weeks or so before he wrote this that Epic Mickey was an Epic Fail (Ho-ho, I slay me).

It must suck to be so above it all. You just look like an insulting ass at best, and some kind of faux-intellectual hipster at worst.
(This is kinda like Other M all over again. Stop crying fursecution just because the game is an industry joke and play better games.)
Or how about you take your elitist views on me and stick 'em back up your equally pompous ass. I'm free to disagree with reviews if I want and I'm disagreeing with this one.

And if the game was said to be such an epic fail 3 weeks ago by everyone then why did IGN give it an 8? Why did X-Play give it 5 stars? Why are the only reviewers I've seen that trash this game are GameSpot, The Escapist, and Giant Bomb? Not everyone thinks this game is shit.

And I'm a free radical for not agreeing with everyone who says this game is shit? So I just follow the crowd instead of taking my opinions into play here? That kind of talk is part of the reason I ***** so much about Yahtzee's reviews in the first place.

Tell me a list of better games out there I should be playing then if you know so much better than I do.
Yeah, there's that word again. It seems irony is never in short supply on The Escapist. If you want to enlighten us savages so bad, start from "I understand that the entire world doesn't like this game, but I think..." instead of "You stupid sheeple, don't you understand that..."

Face it: We were promised something, and got pablum. That's not the normal process of a game going from art to development to the shelves. That is a bait-and-switch, or a man "compromising" and completely changing his vision because The Mouse got on him and he focus-grouped the game to death. Your choice.

I can see why you'd trust IGN and X-Play. It's clear where you stand, since you seem to want to defend the indefensible just to run to the aid of this game's failure. You're doing Spector no favors, that's for sure.
See you next week when Yahtzee posts another video, Che! You can show us how wise you are again.
EDIT: Oh, so you did play and like Other M then? Yyyyeah, I thought as much. Just go and do something else. This conversation is going to go nowhere, I can see it already.

Translated

Sep 24, 2010
shogunblade said:
and if it isn't good, well, we still have Kingdom Hearts and my copy of Mickey's Magical Quest to keep me entertained.
Thanks for reminding me of Mickey's Magical Quest. Man, that takes me back a ways. Well, about 18 years to be exact. ;)

I remember wanting to play that game when I was younger and thinking it looked great in the magazines, but never getting the chance to at the time. Maybe I can buy an old copy now.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Boy...I'm surprised Yahtzee and I agree on one point. That point being that Mickey was more epic in Kingdom hearts than in this game. (Rather ironic.) I kinda wish they kept in a few of the post-apocolyptic images like that Cyberpunk Goofy in bad state of disrepair. That would've been a level of dark we haven't seen since The Black Cauldron. (Anyone remember THAT movie?)

Sep 4, 2009
Well its nice to see Disney getting called on their complete lack of creative vision; at best they have been a successful distributor for Pixars films, and at worst they've been given a ludicrous free reign to crush and ruin Western animation.

I want Don Hertzfeld in a boardroom with an indie developer who feels fine with some controversy.

Hell, even a missile command parody with Billy's Balloon elements. Just get the indie devs and non-Disney non-anime animators some money to make something NEW.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I have a Disney-Phile for a brother, and when I told him that they were toning down Epic Mickey's apocalypse levels he said "Good, it's not what Walt would have wanted."... I hope he's proud of himself... I really felt like this game had potential but it was all pissed away the second they had to compromise and make it more friendly.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Oh ho hooooo, good review! I knew this game just looked off from the videos I have seen of it.

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
OT: As per usually Yahtzee twists something meant to be innocent into something extremely disturbing. I like.

About those postalservice quests. How about someone actually making a game where all you do is deliver mail to people. Everytime you deliver something to a mailbox your character notices something mysterious, making the player believe that theres a larger plot in store. Yet after 8 hours of playtime the postalworker instead goes home since its the end of his workday, leaving the player to experience his biggest anticlimax yet.

Fetch quests -CHECK-
Poor story -CHECK-
6-10 hours to complete -CHECK-
Repetive gameplay -CHECK-
Poor ending -CHECK-

Include great graphics and crap voice acting - Result=BLOCKBUSTER GAME

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Well, clearly Yahtzee just misunderstood the game and wasn't playing it right because it's a type of game that has never been done before.. right Warren?

Translated

Sep 24, 2010
CaptainCrunch said:
wammnebu said:
im going to have nightmares from that dancing imp for the iphone, thanks escapist
You're welcome. We can also make the nightmares go away - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/subscription/
I'd like to add my own congrats on the advert. It's the best one I've seen for the site to date by an order of magnitude.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
why do people keep complain on disney like they made the game? They might have had something to do with the development but most was Warren and his team
XxRyanxX said:
I busted out laughing so hard when you gave us advise about the "Iron Man" required items to be found at top and if there were at a lower altitude then they would explode Hahahah! Nice review I loved every moment of it especially (Well it's the front cover of the video) you looking back at that Smiling Mickey Mouse being all creepy with his smile. Great review and always impressing me to no end Yahtzee!

In truth I felt the game wouldn't be that good because Disney doesn't really focus on anything anymore, they just delay things to get profit from it. Just my opinion, but stating that it's Mickey with Paint Brushes, how hardcore is it really going to be let alone how "Family Friendly" they've gotten with their ego and all. I could just be imagining this after all...but still they should least make it more dark if not challenging, Kingdom Hearts had some wicked moments in it as well like The End of The World, that was really Dark!

Even though this may not relate to this game, but to prove Disney lost it's focus in kids - They have all kinds of reality shows now. When I use to come over my girlfriend's house to help babysit the reality shows were so stacked up with "Cheesy" and honestly annoying humor the kids seriously had no interest in the shows. They only watched Cartoons which makes sense too!! Gosh Disney lost it's touch, I don't really know how they are even still doing so well but alright. Sorry, hope I didn't offend anyone and if so please just Message me. Yea..
Disney are still doing some cartoons this day and age

Translated

Sep 24, 2010
Toeys said:
About those postalservice quests. How about someone actually making a game where all you do is deliver mail to people. Everytime you deliver something to a mailbox your character notices something mysterious, making the player believe that theres a larger plot in store. Yet after 8 hours of playtime the postalworker instead goes home since its the end of his workday, leaving the player to experience his biggest anticlimax yet.

Fetch quests -CHECK-
Poor story -CHECK-
6-10 hours to complete -CHECK-
Repetive gameplay -CHECK-
Poor ending -CHECK-

Include great graphics and crap voice acting...
You could call it "Postal:pG" or "Fetch Quest:HD". ;)

Seriously though, the thought of that level of blatent un-realized story development really made me laugh.