Zero Punctuation: Eve Online

R0ot

Mar 16, 2007
Good review, for a 14 day trial. Sticking to the NPC corp and only playing for 14 days doesn't justify the game wish it did, but the game is so much bigger than that.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
Mreh. Not impressed. I did chuckle a few times. But on the whole, YOU'VE DONE BETTER YAHZEE. You keep picking older games, too. What's next? Pacman?

zerotrace

Oct 3, 2007
Good call on the paying to have a second job.

Are you going to reply to PurePwnage's take on Zero Punctuation entitled "Zero Coordination"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VAhzPcZ-s

aslum

Jul 17, 2008
The problem is that EVE has a fairly steep Learning Curve [http://www.aslum.net/eve/LearningCurve.jpg]. By avoiding a player run corp you pretty much obviated the one thing that could have made the game fun and playable, that is experience from other players. You missed out on so much of EVE by dint of your choice of play style, much like stumbling around a library with no knowledge of the cataloging system and refusing the help of librarians and just trying to find what your looking for at random. But then, if you had actually managed to have fun, you couldn't write a biting review of it, so I suppose it's best that you played the game blind.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Never played an online RPG (not even one set in space) and never intend to.
Thanks be to Yahtzee for putting my reasons into words that I never could.
What I would like however is a really good space strategy. Something like 'Total War', but with space battles. Maybe, with all the millions they must have lying around (come on, they must have lots of money now, what with having produced one of the most successfull strategy franchises ever - behind Civilisation and everything with the word 'Sim' in it. But anyway, the point is, they must have oodles now) they could buy up the names of certain famous space villians, get George Lucas to whore himself out even more....

Spookie

Jul 2, 2008
I think he kind of missed out on the player corps. If he tried to join one he would have had another umpteen paragraphs to write about all that is wrong on EVE.

But to give the game some credit it is deeper than that pit in 300 if it was linked via portals. Though it's one for those with an insane amount of spare time and a brain the size of a small melon to understand all the skills.

I personally prefer things where I can roll my face across the keyboard and shout obscenities at strangers.

So. Back to World of Warcraft it is.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Nice flame lol. I played the thing for a day and quit since getting blown to bits and buying everything from the fucking start isn't very entertaining... Pretty nice vid though A* Yahtzee.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Heh, if he "didn't want to have anything to do with the player-run corporations", of course he found EVE-Online boring as hell.

The PvE of EVE is beyond pathetic, and I've been playing EVE for well over 2 years now.
The whole PvE side of the game (what he used almost exclusively) is merely an excuse to spend time "grinding" the in-game money so that you feel comparatively miffed by losses you incurr in PvP.
Of course, some just buy in-game cash with real money indirectly (pay for another player's subscription, he "pays" you in-game cash for that), but still, when you screw up, it hurts the wallet nevertheless... be it your real-life wallet, in-game wallet or both.

If you're not going to engage in PvP of any kind in EVE (be is ship vs ship in space or ingame wallet vs ingame wallet via the market), then you might as well not even try it out, of course you'll hate it intensely.
Also, if you're going to try solo PvP of any kind, you're going to get bored sooner rather than later too... it's in the screaming, teaming masses of hitting-eachother-in-the-head group PvP where EVE actually starts to shine.

Moochkin

Apr 10, 2008
i enjoy Eve when i get the time ot play it but i dont disagree entirely with any point he makes there :p thats why we love his reviews so. He tells it like it is without fanboyism

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Best was the mistress under the desk when he mentioned the corp guy neglecting his wife. Look closely it's there.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
The only decent mmo is warhammer online. God damn is that shit fun, cant wait for beta to start up again this weekend.

KurtDunn

Jan 16, 2008
I honestly wonder how Yahtzee regards people who come in here and regurgitate his his employed vocabulary in order to sound smart.

Yes, I'm talking about you guys.

islagatt

Jul 28, 2008
Played EVE more than a year ago, played it again earlier this year. I really do like it because it's more intelligent. Oh yes, I mean that. It's more intelligent, it is actually a lot more than just the one click because early on you have to figure out when your in optimal range and really quickly you have to reset your targeting systems to the next one before the first one blows up, or else the crushing number of drones may overwhelm you. But that said I did get tired of it after a while. Even if it was some gleeful fun screaming through a solar system at three kilometers a second with my micro warp drive. It takes a long time to get where you want to be in EVE but there's reward to it. I can see why Yahtzee wouldn't like it.
The review itself- thank the gods he's getting funny again but I've had my fill of him pissing about his viewers. Seriously. I run a tae kwon do school, I hate some of my customers but I don't tell them to their faces.