Zero Punctuation: Eve Online

DeusFps

Sep 3, 2008
Not joining a player corp is like not shooting people in an fps. Heading out into the pvp area of space with a bunch of friends is fucking awesome

Edable Giraffe

Aug 13, 2008
I agree with everything said in that review, i downloaded EVE because it is advertised here, I played it for about 20 minutes and thought, 'what the hell is the point in this?'. Granted, I have never been a fan of MMOs but this one is beyond boring

mfischetti

Jul 18, 2008
Always funny, but unfortunatly I dont agree with you this time old boy, I have been a player of eve for quite some time, and you did touch breifly on somethingin the review when you stated that it is a game that doesnt want to be played, you actually hit the nail on the head, EVE is an MMO that does not want the casual everyday grinder who wants to play for 5 days straight and be the highest level in the game. Glad you at least tried it though. Oh and by the way all you "I want to get out of my ship whiners" its a SPACE mmo the point is to be in SPACE but there have been plenty of people complaining about this and ccp has decided to introduce walking in stations

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
jackalo moss post=6.70442.691793 said:
How did you manage to play that game long enough to review it? I managed to just about play 1 minute of it after i created my character before i switched my computer off.
Because he gets payed to play games, whether they're crappy or not!

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
Aww I actually like this game, but everything you said is completely true though. Eve is the type of game that you just sorta have running for awhile and then occasionally go and kick something's ass.

Murrah

Aug 28, 2008
I just watched it and i've never played that EVE game. but i'll check it out

suda_gimp

Sep 3, 2008
i think all of your reviews are awesome. but when are you gonna review killer7!?! it is a fuckin awesome game...in the name of harmon

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Heheh, nice one - I tried Eve trial and got no-where - thanks for proving me right ;)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Now that I think of it, the first comment about how having maps makes everything boring is really quite accurate. One of the main reasons I think fiction about uncharted islands does so well is that we like the idea of having something on Earth that's still a mystery, some place we have to explore, where we don't know what's coming.

Just a thought.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
DeusFps post=6.70442.691784 said:
Not joining a player corp is like not shooting people in an fps. Heading out into the pvp area of space with a bunch of friends is fucking awesome
Friends? Yes, it's times like this that I see where Yahtzee gets his whimisical musings. And to be honest, I trialled WoW and I was offered clan membership, admittedly I couldn't take it but I would have refused anyway on the grounds that people I met 30 seconds ago are not people I want to spend significant portions of my time with, engaged in monosyllabic conversation whilst mashing buttons like a recently labotomised laboratory chimp. Friends are the people who you would be ashamed to admit you play MMOs to, and the terror that stems from the possibility that they might find out only proves this point further. MMos are a dark and guilty pleasure like rambling and let us not dicuss the matter further.

That said, ooh, I come from Cheltenham! Yipee...

Megaman1222

Jul 22, 2008
I'm glad this is seemingly his least favorite MMO to date, because my friend keeps trying to get me to play this bor-fest again after making me play for a month. (he had a gun?) It just makes me glad to see that I'm not the only person that finds it boring and uneventful

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Agreed completly with the start about exploration.

Only got space unexplored...

Jul 9, 2008
Meh, it was alright. The reviews tend to be better when its for a game Yahtzee is passionate about one way or the other.

Hawkzor

Jan 31, 2008
Talk about moment of truth. When I saw what the review was this week I was honestly expecting Yahtzee to wank off the game instead of crucify it strictly because EVE advertises on Escapist. I'm really surprised they let him put this video up. I have even more respect towards Escapist now.

cianer

Aug 13, 2008
afrophysics post=6.70442.691781 said:
I know tangential jokes were a highlight of the early ZPs but I find myself regularly unamused recently.
Really? I thought the last two were the funniest in ages. "The user interface could only be worse if your monitor was at the bottom of a fucking well" is hilarious and the "Adrian" bit from the Braid review had me snorting into my monitor.

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
Very good review, I nevered played Eve, but my friend has. His comment about it was: "It's a very deep and complex game that requires a lot of skill to master." Which is basically what Mr Yahtzee said in his review.