Zero Punctuation: Exclusives Showdown

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
I would say something on this thread of meaning but I can tell what group invaded this thread from the first three pages, so Ill just say can't wait for infamous second son and going to get me a ps4 when I can cause they seem pretty cool with some of their exclusives and hardware

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Fangface74 said:
Hmm indeed, before ANY audienced based custard-chucking i would wonder; "would the ideal RT60 have the same value at all frequencies from 30 to 12,000 Hz. or, at least, is it acceptable to have a linear rising from 100% at 500 Hz to 150% down to 62 Hz?
Okay, that's it. Now you've done it. Now you're making me want to pay money to see a spunking context in Royal Albert Hall with all those seductive numbers.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Cid SilverWing said:
Why has no one gotten it yet?

This generation launched way too fucking early.
Elaborate!

Trying to put my own thoughts on it:

Had they waited longer, maybe they could have, at a reasonable price, released consoles that were that much more powerful.

I don't think power is the issue. For instance, the PS4 has 8 Gig of DDR5 as opposed to PS3 256 Meg. That's huge. There's plenty of room for developers to grow and be able to use all that extra power. The bottleneck at this time is the developers.

I think, a delay might have allowed for more game development. They could sure have used more time for that given the record breaking lackluster launch.

But I don't think they could wait. A lot of people out there are like me: major graphics whores (otherwise the WiiU would really be killing PS4/Xbone. )stem. I didn't buy "The Last Of Us" even if it was considered to be the absolute peak of what a PS3 could do. I figure I've seen it all on the PS3. There really is no more to show me on that system. They wanna impress me with visuals? It was going to take a new gen. As meh as it supposed to be gameplay wise, I'm interested in seeing Killzone 4. It's supposed to be a revelation.

randomthefox said:
And right after this video went up, the Steam Fall sale started.

Life is awesome sometimes.
Yeah, picked up the Sleeping Dog w/ DLC. Awesome :) As someone else wrote, I intend to be PC4 this gen.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
And yet there's still an Xbox 360 advertisement at the end of the video.

Personally, I do think the consoles look great, but I don't agree with buying them yet, mainly because they have nothing good out. Sure, Battlefield 4, Assasin's Creed 4, etc. look nice, but Ic an just get those at 360 and it looks roughly as good.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
2 reasons I've decided to (eventually) switch to Playstation for this current generation:
1) Xbox One upscales to 1080p. PS4 displays 1080p natively. How is it even possible to not run 1080p in 2013? Hell, 1080p is a lower resolution these days! Lots of PCs are running 1440p.
2) Xbox One's exclusives are (mostly) also PC releases. Playstation exclusives are almost never released on other platforms.

That being said, I don't plan to buy either console until their prices drop significantly. I'm perfectly happy remaining among the elite ranks of the PC master race.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
GoddyofAus said:
This PC master race stuff has really stopped being funny and has begun looking like crass bitterness.
I agree that PC master race stuff has stopped being a joke and became a sad reality with the new console launch.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Aardvaarkman said:
I don't think that's significant evidence on its own of a growing PC game market. The growth in Steam users could possibly be accounted for gamers who previously bought boxed games at retail switching to Steam for the convenience and price savings. It doesn't necessarily reflect overall growth of the market.

Part of it could also be accounted for by Steam adding support for the Mac and Linux platforms - which have historically not been as well-served in gaming as Windows was. And yes, I know that Mac OS and Linux technically also run on "PCs" in the general term of "Personal Computer" - but "PC" in the gaming context typically refers to Windows specifically.

Thanks to the other people who have made similar replies on this topic - I don't have time to reply to you all individually, and I hope this post addresses your points. I really don't think we have adequate data on PC gaming to determine if game sales as a whole are following the overall trend of PC sales. But lacking better data, I think we can see what the broad trends are, and at the moment it is not trending away from consoles and mobile devices.
That article is bad, it 65 million active users, that means they log on at least once a week, that goes for all, even the consoles.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/steam-hits-65-million-active-user-milestone-passes-xbox-live-network-439919

pezofdoom

Feb 13, 2012
Hey did anyone else watch the Console War - The musical?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_xHueP7bQ0

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
I guess Xbone's lost should've been expected from the start of this vid. After all, Yahtzee hates children but MJ is hot.

Also, does this mean Minecraft is 4th GOTY of 2011?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I don't usually comment on ZP threads, partly because I'm almost certain Yahtzee doesn't read them, but I thought I'd drop in to suggest and request with equal urgency that, Yahtzee, please never sing again. It gives your video a certain "smugly oblivious sixth-former with a YouTube account" quality, and while I'm having trouble articulating exactly what that is, rest assured it's not a good thing.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Aardvaarkman said:
Gorrath said:
Given that PCs are used for far more than gaming, your comparison there is hogwash. PC sales have declined because many people who used pcs for light apps like social networking can now do so much more readily on mobile devices. People are buying more PCs than ever, it's just that many of those "PCs" are in the form of a "phone" or "tablet". With the massive boom in PC game sales, which is the actual metric we would use to track pc gaming growth or decline, it can hardly be said that pc gaming is declining.
Speaking of hogwash - a tablet or a phone is not what people are referring to when they say "PC" - especially in the context of gaming. We're talking about desktop and laptop PCs here - and that's what the industry statistics are referring to.

The simple fact is that the phones and tablets do not run the games that people are talking about when referring to gaming and the "PC Master Race." Do you really believe that the people here proclaiming the superiority of the PC as a gaming platform are referring to Android or iOS devices?
I'm baffled as to why you think I was saying that PC gaming = andorid/IOS games. Your point was that the drop in total PC sales is somehow an indicator of the popularity of PC gaming. My point was that this claim is deeply flawed, not because the people moving from PCs to android/iOS are still to be considered PC gamers, but because they were never PC gamers in the first place (in the context of PC gaming we are talking about). How does a bunch of non-pc gamers moving from PCs to mobile devices demonstrate a drop in the popularity of PC gaming? The fact that people are playing farmville or bejeweled on their phone instead of a PC is not at all a commentary on PC gaming.

A much better way to determine the health of PC gaming is to look at PC gaming retailers and see how much business they are doing (Vavle, GoG, ect.) The latest numbers suggest "astonishingly well".

EDIT: I got a chance to read some more of your replies to others and see that you've addressed a few more things that I'd like to comment on. On your point that kids are growing up with tablets and phones and so may stick with those platforms instead of migrating to apps that are more robust, I'd say we'll have to sit and wait, but I don't think that'll be the case. I see no reason to believe that people growing up with gaming will simply stick with those platforms, unless those platforms themselves become much more powerful (and they may). But if/when we can play Rome 2 on a tablet, I think we'll be past the necessity of splitting those gamers up between "PC gamers" and "mobile users" as the devices will be one and the same.

As for the bump in steam users simply being an incorporation of Mac/Linux users and physical media types switching over to digital distribution, that does certainly account for some of that, but I'd wager that the great sea of people who did buy PC games as physical media with any regularity made that switch long ago and that Linux users do not constitute a significant population to cause such an upsurge. Mac users may account for some, but by and large heavy PC gamers mostly bought PCs for that purpose and shied away from Mac and Linux because of the lack of overall support in games for those platforms.

In any case, gaming on every front has been a business that has gone up and up over the last two decades and is bigger now than ever. I am not in agreement with those that say that consoles are dying nor do I buy into any elitism when it comes to hobby choices, even though I do think PC is the best platform currently available for gaming.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Well, I have to say I was pretty let down by this episode. Doing a comparison video based on games that in most cases we haven't even seen a demo of is just a tad ridiculous.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
If, and I stress if, Sony squeeze out another half-way decent Wipeout game I'll consider buying a PS4, as it is my money is far better spent buying the excessively DLC for games like Crusader Kings II whereby I actually know that my money is ultimately going to a developer who has continued and will continue to release new content gratis as well as patch bugs and continually upgrade the game for the past few years.

I see the appeal that consoles may have, assuming I'm seeing the same appeal that other people are seeing (apparent ease of use... and a warranty?), but it really doesn't do it for me. PC gaming doesn't need to "win" or "take over", it already has won and taken over but some of the major publishers/developers who dump millions (billions?) into the gaming industry a year have missed the boat completely. Hence the continuing strife.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Gorrath said:
My point was that this claim is deeply flawed, not because the people moving from PCs to android/iOS are still to be considered PC gamers, but because they were never PC gamers in the first place (in the context of PC gaming we are talking about). How does a bunch of non-pc gamers moving from PCs to mobile devices demonstrate a drop in the popularity of PC gaming?
Where's your evidence that none of them were "real" PC gamers? There are plenty of ex-PC gamers (no, not Farmville, etc) - who have moved to consoles and mobile.

As for the bump in steam users simply being an incorporation of Mac/Linux users and physical media types switching over to digital distribution, that does certainly account for some of that, but I'd wager that the great sea of people who did buy PC games as physical media with any regularity made that switch long ago...
Perhaps, but do we have any figures on how much gamers are spending on Steam compared to where they were previously, and what the profit margins are? A higher number of users doesn't necessarily mean a bigger industry if there's not as much income. I think you'll agree that many people joined Steam because of the sales and cheap prices.

In any case, gaming on every front has been a business that has gone up and up over the last two decades and is bigger now than ever. I am not in agreement with those that say that consoles are dying nor do I buy into any elitism when it comes to hobby choices, even though I do think PC is the best platform currently available for gaming.
Now, that's the truth.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Sending big-name titles (new IPs, no less) away for a few months knocks off a point in my book for PS4, and I don't care much for advancing Spunkgargleweewee to Ancient Rome is worth wanting Ryse (though MovieBob Chipman might agree with Yahtzee for that advancement). Those balance out, I guess.

But wait! PS4 has PS Plus, which will make several good games the price of 1 new game next year! That's 10 points that crushes the XbOne and overshadows the gleeful chorus emanating from Super Mario 3D World and its disciples. Hopefully, that's next review so that the Wii U can get its fair share of interest on this site.