Zero Punctuation: Fable 3

Giandroid

Jun 15, 2010
So... is anyone going to ask whether Yahtzee is okay after the Brisbane floods? I'm pretty sure he made that video BEFORE the skies opened and god's disapproval rained upon Australia.

I'm pretty sure he's fine, though. Yahtzee Croshaw is eternal. Even nature can't harm him. As long as he's got his hat on, that is.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Haderos said:
Anyway, must be china, they don't care about human losses that much. ( ≖‿≖)
It's not that they don't care it's that they want human losses because they have a bad case of overpopulation.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
A year of picnics then ARMAGEDDON.

By the way, what the hell is "COR", is it a random blabbing someone with a camera says when something weird happens in front of them?

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
RUINER ACTUAL said:
My friend likes Fable. I have no idea why. He tries to show it to me like it is cool, but I can't get into it.

Plus I have seen Yahtzee's reviews and other reviews for Fable games. And after watching interviews, reading quotes, and playing some of his games, I know how big an ass and lier/hype machine Molyneux is.
Fable is one of those games that charms me and I see a lot of potential in it... although I think it needs to embrace its superficial qualities much more and not worry about trying to say anything important at all. On its face, it's essentially an adult-oriented version of the Lego franchise, although the Lego series has much tougher combat (which is surprising when you consider how piss-easy they are). While it's obsessed with bodily functions (including sex), it occasionally earns the Mature label with appropriate dark and disturbing imagery, which I rather enjoy.

The problem is the game never seems to grasp that the NPC and NPC interactions need to be much, much, much more interesting. Without it, it's an amusing enough Victorian England sandbox game with way too easy combat. Whenever I got a new expression in Fable II, I enjoyed checking it out... but, sadly, you get one animation per expression and the novelty wears off fairly quickly. I'd even go so far to suggest that they should make the good/evil thing even more superficial, letting the player choose how s/he decorates the world through their actions. Forget all that nonsense about making a wider point about morality, as even more complex games make a mess of it and they don't have an interaction system where farting in someone's face is the depth of its complexity.

I think the game needs to grab the whole Sims thing and run with it. Instead of letting character only buy properties, let them develop the property. Maybe even take a page of Roller Coaster Tycoon and let them build rides or mini-games. Give the NPCs different personalities and looks. The game really only gives them one default personality with a handful of different likes and dislikes. When you marry someone, they generally end up bitching about their house not being good enough, so there's really not much point in hanging around them. You should be able to marry a party girl, then hang out at the pubs playing drinking games with her.

About the only thing that separates Fable from other sandbox game is the fapping about. Instead of stealing cars and running over nuns, you fart in people's faces. Making the interactions with NPCs a lot more fun and getting the combat at least up to Lego levels of difficulty would go a long way toward the game series reaching its potential without fundamentally altering the franchise.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Is that ACTUALLY how shit goes down in this game ?

There is an evil eldritch abomination and you need 6 mil to prevent it from killing everybody and the option that gives you max money is called EVIL ?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
samaugsch said:
Racecarlock said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
I love it when Yahtzee makes some uber strong and valid points about the games he is reviewing.
Seriously how is getting money to LIVE an act of EVIL???? :O
IF the population knew what was gona happen they`d freaking throw their money at him....
Anyway this was one of my favorite episodes :)) seems to me yahtzee is going back on track :p
Has anyone ever noticed that LIVE is EVIL backwards and vice versa? Weird, huh?

Anyways, think of it like this yahtzee, now that you've reviewed fable 3, people will shut up about it now, won't they? If anything that's probably the only positive thing you'll get out of playing and reviewing the game.
If he has trouble looking for other games to review, he could review Half Life 2. (He's already reviewed Silent Hill 2. Why not Half Life?)
Well, that's easy. He already did. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10-The-Orange-Box

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
I have to admit, a lot of the points brought up by Yahtzee I agree with. Well, aside from the 'shagging the dog' and '100% positive victory' ones.

I actually found it rather unsettling to have Albion empty afterwards.

blippity

Apr 30, 2009
sdgilbert said:
Also I'm surprised, Yahtzee you didn't mention the COMPLETELY messed up menu system. It takes five times as long to do anything now.
I'm surprised too. Fable 3 had it's moment (albeit few), but the menu system, while attempting to be somewhat 'revolutionary' was disappointing. John Cleese was funny, but the whole thing was poorly done and irritating.

Unhappy Crow said:
And is it just me or is the whole morale choicee things a little too boring in Fable III? Because I always thought Fable was an RPG game. This one feels more like a simulation game. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't own an Xbox nor an Xbox 360 and knows little to none about the Fable series.
The moral choices are so 'Black and White' in Fable 3, but they are also poorly executed. It's like everything has to be nice and happy or evil, no room for being mischievous yet still charming. As for the RPG elements, they were basically stripped from the previous games. In fact it's just an action game with a simulation section. The RPG element is no more than GTA games.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
I'll tell you what this game lacked the most !

BALDRICK !

imagine him telling you: "-may i speak sir? i have a cunning plan!"

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Racecarlock said:
samaugsch said:
Racecarlock said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
I love it when Yahtzee makes some uber strong and valid points about the games he is reviewing.
IF the population knew what was gona happen they`d freaking throw their money at him....
Anyway this was one of my favorite episodes :)) seems to me yahtzee is going back on track :p

Anyways, think of it like this yahtzee, now that you've reviewed fable 3, people will shut up about it now, won't they? If anything that's probably the only positive thing you'll get out of playing and reviewing the game.
If he has trouble looking for other games to review, he could review Half Life 2. (He's already reviewed Silent Hill 2. Why not Half Life?)
Well, that's easy. He already did. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10-The-Orange-Box
Oh. I wonder why he didn't just title it "Half Life 2".

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Excellent review, Yahtzee.

While I actually LIKED Fable 2 and LIKE Fable 3, you did nail the flaws of this game on the head in spectacular fashion. My biggest beef with this game was how massively watered down it was in regards to Fable 2. One of the things I liked about 2 was the different tiers of food and drink that had descriptions interlaced with some classic British snark. Not to mention that the houses of this game didn't have the entertaining descriptions that the second game had.

It was like Lionhead needed to hollow out a lot of the funny backstory just so they could give the main character a voice! Now I did enjoy the main character having a voice now, but the lack of detail and amusement that helped Fable 2 stand up and compare to the first game, which was the best, really brought this game low, in my opinion. Instead, the only snarky backstory writings and dialogue could be found in the sidequests... *sigh*

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
samaugsch said:
Racecarlock said:
samaugsch said:
Racecarlock said:
Azmael Silverlance said:

Oh. I wonder why he didn't just title it "Half Life 2".
I think Yahtzee oughta review Two Worlds 2. I played the first game and saw a lot of potential, even if the game was complete shit, and I followed the second a bit because it was supposed to be much better than the first...

goddz001

Aug 5, 2009
after this i immediatley went to watch his first ever review of fable. suddenly remembering that day when someone sent me the link *_*

Xynrei

Jul 26, 2009
The whole "buy the properties and spike up the rent and go to bed" option is exactly what I did.
Didn't have to make a single evil decision.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Canid117 said:
Does the Clock trick still work to get money?
From what I know, it does but it only gives money a few times a day as opposed to every 5 minutes or something...