Zero Punctuation: Fallout 4

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Fun to watch the current still-enamored-by-it purchasers of this game dogging Yahtzee in order to protect their latest investment.
But if they were being really objective, they'd admit outright that it's not in any way "Fallout" in the traditional sense and not nearly as fun as NewVegas either despite having the most "functional" gun mechanics in the series to date

There's plenty of other Shooting Galleries out there with prettier animations/tilesets that don't cost $60.00

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Well I'm enjoying it so far. I think it's ok for a new installment in a series to try something different. What's the point of just doing the same things as previous games?

At any rate, I'm surprised that he disparaged the building and crafting system so much, considering how much he loved Minecraft.

Ah well, to each their own, I suppose. I know I'm greatly enjoying the game. Not sure about all these bugs people keep complaining about, either. I've found only a small handful, and they were easily solved quirks that I never saw crop up again.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
After spending hundreds of hours modding F3/FNV I simply cannot bring myself to even return and finish F4, which is a requirement for a good modder. Consider how easy it would be to fix, if time consuming, returning many of the elements from F3/FNV to this game, I simply cannot understand it. I have hundreds of screenshots of things to fix, and was really looking forward to poking Bugthesda in the eye again (when you get 1m+ DLs for a fix, it qualifies), but my enthusiasm for even fixing it died a month ago. Hopefully it will come back after the first DLC hits (pre-ordered the season pass like a noob).

F4 is just a boring sandbox with auto-repeat (Radiant) missions, and magically respawning enemies and items, to fill in the fact that they cut the budget to a significant degree. The lack of RPG elements and the nonsensical magic is one step away from Fallder Scrolls being the malformed, diseased offspring, from these two titles. Then they can just sell access to the mod tools and pat themselves on the back for figuring out how to make more money for doing even less.

As for the building - WTF are you people on, and does your contact accept bitcoins? No physics, no logic (at all!), no reason, no interaction with the regular story aside from artillery strikes that you constantly forget about because you are easily OP with your magic weapons & armor. The limited items you can build with, the massive number of bugs that crop up to make it a nightmare (ghost settlers, and invisible moving turrets are my favorite), or the fact that enemies can teleport past your massive F'ing walls! So, please stop misleading people. Construction is a waste of time, literally. If you cut out that nonsense, and just focus on the missions, you will not be humping back all the magically respawning garbage from every area. That alone lets you actually play the game, and not get played by it.

Perhaps Bethesda has a Russian office now? (In Soviet Russia you do not play the game...)

drakesteele

Jun 2, 2009
I have been a huge Fallout fan since the original back in like 1997. I also loved Wasteland back on my Commodore 64. And while, yes, Bethesda's extension of the Fallout brand has been less successful in its storytelling, it, like their Elder Scrolls games, has had EXCELLENT environmental storytelling... Finding an area, and seeing things laid out in an odd way that makes you go, "Hmm... what the hell happened here?" and then you find a note, or a holotape... and a couple oddly placed items... and it all fits and tells a little story about what happened there when the bombs fell... I love that. Sure, I'd love it if FO3/FO4 had more dialog options and actually varied them based on your stats and karma like the originals... it helped the immersion a lot. But it's still fun, and while the building and crafting are sort of disjointed, mods are helping that quite a bit, as well as adding things back like traits, and a better dialog menu system, albeit with the same options... Overall though, I love Fallout 4 for the same reasons I loved 3/NV and the Elder Scrolls: exploration. Finding these little setpieces that BGS does so well... and the getting slightly better combat.

What confuses me about Yahtzee's review is it seems to be giving it shit for the sake of giving it shit - he talks shit about Bethesda RPGs but every previous one he enjoyed. "Branston pickle" he called it... thinly spread but still delicious... They've given him more of the same with some improvements, and some "dumbing down" or streamlining but it's still BGS Fallout, and a BGS-style RPG with lore and setpieces and better combat than any other before... And just cause theres no karma so you can't be a complete douche in dialoge and an added building/crafting option you aren't required to use, now you don't like it? Pff. It's still Branston Pickle... You know you'll eat it, Yahtzee. XD