Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I like when Yahtzee does these different kind of reviews. Not so much a review but a tale this time around.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
I knew you were going to comment on the bugs.

Nevertheless, I'm getting this game, perhaps the modding community can fix all the cockups

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
Bravo. Very entertaining and a wonderful way to readdress gameplay you've covered before. Thank you.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
This was great. I love it when you break from the normal review style. Still hoping for another lymric based video like Wolfenstein some day. :)

Thanks Yahtzee!

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Yea, I knew by the previews that it looked about the same. Probably feels about the same too.
I won't be touching Hardcore Mode until I actually learn the game first.

...But I don't even have it yet, so. Irrelevant for now.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Oh wow... That cheered me up immensely, and I gotta say, the constant freeze ups in the game did get quite annoying.
Given the description of how the hardcore mode works (albeit this is ZP) I am quite glad I didn't use it.

Side note: Now I have In The Mood stuck in my head.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I have to agree that the status bars were a bit confusing at first.

And wow, I've heard about the bugs countlessly, on all consoles.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I thought when I heard about Fallout: New Vegas that it actually was an expansion pack to Fallout 3. Then I realized from how excited everyone was that it might actually be a stand-alone game.

So I guess I'll go finally pick up Fallout 3 at a discount before I try out Fallout: New Vegas.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Fun... I mean, that description sounded more fun than I'm having with the game. I think it was just due to cutting out the waffle of getting shot in the head...

Actually I think this has taught me to trust my gut more because when I heard about hardcore mode I thought it sounded "way cool" but I figured I should play the game normally first to work things out. I then realised that I'd already played Fallout 3 (and Oblivion) before many, many times.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Caffeine takes water to process which is probably why it has a negative effect. Thank you yahtzee. My intention was to use this review to see if the game was worth buying. It isn't.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
Leviathan_ said:
You can't really talk about New Vegas without at least mentioning the bugs. Shame he didn't mention the more humorous bugs & glitches.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
lol! It froze at the end. Well there's another game I don't have to be ashamed of not owning

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
...When will people learn posting before you've had enough time to watch the bloody thing ends in probation? Or in the first guys case suspension... I wonder why he got worse.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I think I should give this game a try, if only for the bugs. I haven't played it, yet, but I can't believed that could have that many bgus.

Moloboen

Oct 28, 2009
I know this wasn't all reviewish but it was great fun. You should make more videos like this.

P.S. the madrass description was hillarious xD

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
I totally role played bear grylls playing that game in hardcore mode. I avoided everyfight and beat small wild life to death with blunt objects. Unfortunately this meant I could never go to a settlement of more than a few people so it got boring after a while.

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
While the video was funny and it's always nice to change things up a bit, I have to ask: Where was the actual review bit? More in Extra Punctuation maybe?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Ahhh...The Fallout Crashes...I dont miss them.

Anyways is this game any good? Besides the crashes that happens now and then is the game any good?

Drunkbot

Nov 9, 2010
This is why I wait for the Game of the Year Edition. Hopefully by then the beta will be over and all the annoying lock ups and glitches will be gone.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This is my favorite review of the past few weeks. Very true too since I haven't cleared any old/ unused saves in a while and New Vegas is causing black-out crashes. Still, the bits of the game that I am able to play are great fun. Still haven't tried out Hardcore but I'll get to that eventually.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Damn, I was totally into that story. I think I'd probably watch a two hour Yahtzee Fallout story. You know, so long as it didn't freeze.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Roofstone said:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?
I enjoyed it. You only need to drink like once a day, eat every two days if you have good food, and sleep almost never. The only thing that's hard about it is the fact that you can't fix your limbs with a stimpack. If you consider having to make sure that you have food and water on you immersive, then yes.

jokulhaups

Aug 13, 2008
Doing this style of review definitely worked for Demon's Souls, but here it isn't very instructive.

Though it is nice to know that others want to limit their kleptomania on Hardcore mode because it makes things too easy.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Master10K said:
Leviathan_ said:
You can't really talk about New Vegas without at least mentioning the bugs. Shame he didn't mention the more humorous bugs & glitches.
Glad they At least owned up to it themselves and released a patch. Now if only they did that at launch.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Haha, funny review as always Yahtzee.

I suppose this means you found it "alright" like Fallout 3?

Hmm. How many games exactly do you think are more than "alright"? I know you're a cynic, but other than Half-Life and Silent Hill... are you not impressed with anything?

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Roofstone said:

It's a challenge, so I guess it's on the immersive side of pain in the arse. And you will never be king.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Okysho said:
lol! It froze at the end. Well there's another game I don't have to be ashamed of not owning
Pick it up on Black Friday, by then they will have a good number of the bugs sorted out. But you noticed how his only criticisms were soda makes you dehydrated (it does) and it crashed. He had more anger when it came to Batman and he said that was one the better games he has picked up.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I get the feeling there's going to be a few hundred people asking, "Did he like it or did he hate it?" before the week is out.
And yeah, those giant flies are insane. Not the bloatflies, mind you; those things are the retarded cousins of the Cazadors (or chest-rapists as I call them, after all the times I've had my torso smashed by their mighty stingers).

TheThirdChild

Feb 16, 2010
That pretty much sums up the game! More bugs in it than an Ant hill!
I?m surprised you didn?t mention the invisible walls that kept fucking my journeys over the mountains!

KindlySpastic

Sep 29, 2010
Heh. I agree on some points. The hardcore mode sadly didn't do anything for the immersion and the iron sights on most of the rifles seemed like someone had filled them with chewing gum.

On the positive side, I think the game managed to capture the feeling of Fallout better than number three did. The Wild Wasteland trait is a nice touch. It will hopefully improve the replay value a lot.

Edit: Also, fucking cazadors. Trying to move over a mountain is hell because they're all over the place and they are suprisingly hard to kill. Whatever creature it was that evolved into the cazador should be annihilated completely. With a blunt stone knife. NOW!

Lt.Sarcasm

Oct 15, 2010
Interesting new way to review, though it lacks a bit of the reveiw part. I still love it~

Entertaining as hell.

CynicalMarcus

Jul 27, 2010
Dear Yahtzee,

Thank you for redeeming The Escapist for the week. We were unfortunately tainted by Moviebob being a complete and total dumbfuck yesterday. For this, I might name one of my children after you. Probably not though.

-Marcus

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
its like he had all of 5 hours to play the game before he posted his umm review.....seems like maybe there should be a part 2 when he has time to platy you know the 60 or so plus hours it takes to get thur the game, bugs not counting on that playtime.

me i got about 120 hours in nv, while it does take a game a good bit to get moving along it is a great game, and a patch due out "soon" for consoles to fix some issues. pc already has 3 patches and a community bug patch fixing many quest issues.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
crudus said:
Caffeine takes water to process which is probably why it has a negative effect. Thank you yahtzee. My intention was to use this review to see if the game was worth buying. It isn't.
Beat me to it, but thank you for providing clarification.

Slimshad

Sep 16, 2009
I disliked this review, simply because there wasn't much criticism in it. I suppose it's because he's reviewing an expansion pack, which I do not think is very necessary if he has already reviewed the game which has been expanded upon.

Unnecessary review + experimental way to go about it = a sad start to my Wednesday. It's like waiting a week for your favorite Anime, and then finding out that it's just a bunch of filler.

Dr_Cuddles

Sep 20, 2010
My screen froze just as his screen froze.

Made me all sad and stuff.

=(

Nice to see him do something a bit different though.

stardroid

Mar 29, 2010
That was a very interesting review... I personally like Fallout New Vegas...
About bugs... YES that can be annoying, but I haven't found too many(PC version).
Hardcore mode is a very good thing, because it makes you miserable life more harder with ammo weight...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
snowman6251 said:
I like when Yahtzee does these different kind of reviews. Not so much a review but a tale this time around.
Yeah, I really enjoyed it as a sort of "log" of his travels. I say "log" because he'd probably object to calling it what it is, a diary. ;)

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
But...IS IT GOOD !? I guess its alright just like F3.

And its not seawater, but sugar. Yes sugar also dehydrates, albeit slower then salt. As in salty water.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
gigastrike said:
Roofstone said:
I enjoyed it. You only need to drink like once a day, eat every two days if you have good food, and sleep almost never. The only thing that's hard about it is the fact that you can't fix your limbs with a stimpack. If you consider having to make sure that you have food and water on you immersive, then yes.
You can fix your limbs with Doctor's Kit which only fix them a meager amount, so save them for when crippled. Or you can get this new chem called Hydra which makes them regenerate damage. The "Rad Child" perk can also regenerate limb damage, provide you're willing to stand in toxic waste for a while.

Also ammo weighs, and that can be a bit of a pain.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Good review. Liked the variation on it, which is understandable considering FO:NV is basically FO3 with a slightly different skin and some new missions.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Drunkbot said:
This is why I wait for the Game of the Year Edition. Hopefully by then the beta will be over and all the annoying lock ups and glitches will be gone.
Plus you get the inevitable DLC included on the disk.

Anyways, to people asking where the review is he already said that fallout 3 was similar enough that he didn't have to go back and say the same things over again.

Fallout new vegas is a good game if you liked Fallout 3. It improves some mechanics and adds a few more, gives you more weapons and sinks the story back into the popular mythos. What it doesn't do is diverge too heavily from the first installment and that could be either good or bad dependent on what you thought of fallout 3.

WrathOfAchilles

May 20, 2009
Dante Spears said:
While good comedic value, where the hell was the review?
He said it's the same thing as Fallout 3, hence no need to review. It was a great tale of a stalwart hero making his journey to new bug city.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
Great review! Especially with "In the Mood" thrown in there. Hearken back to the old days of unlicensed music, eh?

I liked the little day-by-day commentary. Good to change up things a bit.

thepsychogamer

Oct 22, 2008
The international law of fuck you part reminded me of Morrowwind and how killing some one in that game would give you the stuff they where carrying, there house and every thing in it.

Karisse

Apr 16, 2008
Almost sounded like he was really into it right up until the end, but from everything I've been hearing about the game I'm not too surprised.

I haven't been following any news about the game since it's release. ETA on fixing the game or does it look like this is going to be another Obsidian let down?

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
So umm what did he like it? Honestly this game has no branston pickle in it (to use yatzhees term) which is amazing as I hate branston pickle! Not so keen on the whole gambling aspect of it but divserity is just amazing

BeautyandStupid

Jul 20, 2010
Dante Spears said:
he says at the start that he's said everything that needed to be said about it in his fallout 3 review.

"WHY CAN'T I MOVE"

classic.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
So that's how it feels to play Hardcore mode. He makes it to New Vegas and the game frezes. I'm sorry, but that was funny.

juffeee

Sep 4, 2010
I have the 360 version and it works fine. The game is great and has more variety than FO3. Only minus side is that it's using the old FO3 engine but that's only little minus because even that the engine is old it's still great. :)

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
Archonic Energy said:
heh...
loved the choice of music!

do de do de do de do de doody do do
That glenn miller in the mood if anyones intrested! Quite intresting peter sellers had that played at his funeral because he famously hated the song!

warrenEBB

Nov 4, 2008
Great video, very well paced. (laughed hardest at the simple length of the Day one and Day Two title cards. ZP needs more highs and lows. speed wise.).

Nice and short, for the short attention span folks (ie, the entire internet?). many thumbs up.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the problem with hardcore mode is that the eating/drinking/sleeping mechanics are just a variation of using stims to recover HP. The thing that makes it harder is that ammo has weight (but this only applies to gun-focused builds) and that you can't just rush into a hord of supermutants and stim you way out(because stims take time and there are no hordes of supermutants in the Mojave)

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Okay Yahtzee, I may regularly disagree with your reviews and opinions and such, but this video proves it- You need to start making Let's Plays. Seriously, I'd watch them.

Please?

SimpleReally

Feb 4, 2008
"The kindly prison storekeeper was nice enough to give away 200 caps out of a strongbox, in a locked room, behind several armed guards"

Gold

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee does let's play? Sounds interesting. Although I'm not sure I can maintain the concentration required to listen to someone talking that fucking fast for the length of an entire game. Christ, if I that was all I wanted, I'd just buy some recording equipment... The only difference being that most of my monologue would consist of 'Bollocks! Where the fuck did that guy come from?'

Michster

Sep 16, 2009
TheThirdChild said:
That pretty much sums up the game! More bugs in it than an Ant hill!
I?m surprised you didn?t mention the invisible walls that kept fucking my journeys over the mountains!
Good point, at least in Oblivion you were able to tell which mountains were climable. In fallout NV it's more like "I wonder if there's an invisible wall here, some indicisive programmer didn't want me to pass."

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Drunkbot said:
Sigh. This is where the gaming industry wants their standards set. Mission accomplished.
How can a buggy-as-fuck half-baked blingfest even be nominated for a Game of the Year title?

This sort of thing really pissed me off with Fallout 3. Please don't let the same thing happen to New Vegas, because it honestly doesn't deserve GotY either.

To be fair; its competition is in the same class (albeit, less buggy) since they're all sequels too.
Halo: Reach, Mass Effect 2, CoD4 Mark III Black Ops, Starcraft 2.

I miss the days where GotY was given out to fresh experiences, good gameplay, and COMPLETE GAMES rather than what took Gold in the last two years.[/rant]

I do like these "Hands-on Summaries" Yahtzee. Do them a little more often.

ilovedawkins

Jan 13, 2010
In answer to some people here as someone who finished FO3+all DLC and is a good way through NV.

New Vegas is infinitely better than FO 3 there is so much more to do, so much player choice so many more missions, a tangible feeling of difficulty due to very few scaling enemies. Much better dialogue, many more interesting and less poorly thought through cities.

Imho hardcore should be mandatory; auto healing stimpacks trivialise an otherwise fairly well designed limb damage system whereas in hardcore you are punished for getting your limbs crippled. Hardcore is not a ball ache, basically every few hours of play you need to drink sleep and eat, just keep yourself supplied with a bit of food and water 'nd you will be fine.

Unfortunately at current NV is bugged to heck. I've only had 1 freeze the whole time however.

I must stress however that New Vegas is many times better than FO3 and that hardcore mode is actually quite fun.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
Fzdgrggzdhgsajfdknshvdergg turn off the adverts! I was already part-way through the video when the advert for Fable 3 popped up, took aaages to buffer, then restarted ZP from the beginning. Sort it out!!

OT: Very good Yahtzee, liking the choice of music for day changes!

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
syltman said:
Not much of a review... enjoyable anyway
Yahtzee doesn't review games.

I think of him more as an internet game-related comedian.

Milenkov

Aug 16, 2009
Hilarious twist on your other reviews, I always wondered why people never gave me funny looks for drinking out of the toilet in Fallout 3.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
Yes, yahtzee, soda makes you dehydrated. It is due to all the sugar content.

That is all.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Leviathan_ said:

Nevertheless, I'm getting this game, perhaps the modding community can fix all the cockups
LOL he got me with the bugs seeing as how he didn't mention them riiiiiiight until the end

XD then I just laughed

Good Review overall

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Great review. Reviewing something too similar to a game you've already reviewed would have been too boring to do the normal way.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Weird, he always plays kleptomaniacs in sandbox games. And it's especially easy in the Bethesta/Obsidian Fallout games, where there's a million tons of random garbage all around you at all times.

Soooo... I guess I'll try Hardcore mode if I ever get the game. Unfortunately, the feature also sounds like something that I'll turn off 10 hours in.

linkages555

Jan 4, 2008
i was under the impression taht fallout : new vegas was an expansion... no a stand alone game....

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
Aside from the freeze up part, this video made me actually want to play this game, despite not caring much for Fallout 3. Not sure if that was the reaction he was going for though.

Either way, great vid as usual!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Muhahaha, behold the might of mutated flies! I set out to exterminate them as soon as I got hold of a plasma rifle...
And the soda bit is actually a pretty good point. While it does take water to digest sugar, sodas are in fact composed primarily of water. While they shouldn't alleviate dehydration as much as water, having them add to it is just annoying.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well that was an interesting "review". I liked it alot it was a nice break from the constant caustic critic act that is ZP, not that I don't like that mind you. More "reviews" like these every now and again would be fun.

And as for those people getting put off New Vegas because of Yatzee's review, remember that its his job to tear apart games for any flaws they have. I haven't had that many bugs (beyond the bloatflies and the radscorpions and the mantises and the weird butterfly/moth things...) and I'm still having plenty of fun with it. Some people have had some bad bugs like the the game crashing and freezing, but it doesn't happen to everyone. That being said if you didn't really like Fallout 3 and/or can't really stand bugs, then yeah, you probably won't like New Vegas.

Ahaharevolution

Nov 10, 2010
Both caffeine and sugar are incredibly dehydrating- sugar especially. The amount of water you receive from drinking soda does nothing to replenish the calcium and water you lose when your body forces you to urinate less than an hour after drinking. That's why lemonade doesn't actually hydrate you all that much, and you aren't supposed to drink soda before you go for a run.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
snowman6251 said:
Agreed. Wolfenstein is still one of the best ZP reviews ever, and this one is also really good.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Roofstone said:

It makes it more challenging, to be sure. I'm playing Hardcore on Very Hard on PC. Hardcore not only forces you to monitor Sleep, Hunger, and Thirst (in addition to Health and Radiation), but your Companions are no longer 'essential', and if they die, they stay dead this time around. Ammo also has weight, and can really start to add up with heavier 40mm grenades, missiles, Mini-Nukes, and .50MG ammo. Food and Stimpacks no longer heal instantly, but rather over time (+2HP a second for 50 seconds, as opposed to 100 instantly). You also need Doctor's Bags to heal crippled limbs, as opposed to using Stimpacks on them directly like you could in FO3.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
sounds like he had fun with it then! i mean the situations he described are just very typical fallout new vegas fair! which is to say awesome!. last night i was running away from a herd of gallavanting bighorners whom id upset( i shot one of there babies for meat) and looked to the horizon for help. luckly for me i saw someone running upto me...who then threw a sodding PLASMA GRENADE at my feet and blew me sky high... id ran into a strong hold of the viper gang. luckily i survived and even more luckily the big horners started to trample them instead of me. an epic battle ensumed whilst i watched from a safe distant behind a rock with my stealth boy on as i tried to put my shins back into my legs. after the dust settled i collected my hard won loot (read as blind luck) only to be sliced into fillets by a death claw! ...VIVA NEW VEGAS! :D

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Sir John the Net Knight said:
There are three constants in man's life. Death, Taxes, and Bethesda games that will bug out and crash.
you mean obsidian games that will bug out and crash. Bathesda games will be filled with glitches yes...but Obsidian is the king of that...when you play a bathesda game you hope you don't get some geometry conflicts, or a quest breaking...When you play an obsidian game you hope the game just starts.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
"You lazy motherfuckers, what the hell did you need me for?"

If I'd ever use the abbreviation 'lol', this is where I'd use it.

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
I registered just to say this was the best review yet. Telling what you did in the game in-character made for a much more immersive narrative. FNV is better than F3 and I really like it but it's also very buggy.

aristos_achaion

Dec 30, 2008
Goodness, Yahtzee was rushing through that game--I thought I got to New Vegas a bit ahead of schedule, and I had about 5000 caps and a couple of weeks of game time under my belt beforehand. Great review, though -- it's great to see a review that isn't just complaining about the bugs.

ED: I'd kind of been hoping that Yahtzee would get jumped by Deathclaws rather than Cazadors on his northerly shortcut...I was really wondering what ZP art he'd break out for a Deathclaw...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What's the big deal with immersion, anyway?

But it is true, rifle sights suck.6

I turned off "True Iron Sights" in the options to go back to FO3's zoom effect.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Master10K said:
Leviathan_ said:
Sadly, the funny ones are not the most common ones. I personally never have the fortune of running into bugs that are funny. The bugs I've run into (that I noticed) where:

Hilariously bad performance (resolved by forcing the game to use a different version of d3d9)
Crash to Desktop (mitigated by regularly purging the cell buffer)
Disappearing save files (mitigated by turning of Steam Cloud for the game, resolved by writing a small program that properly renames the latest autosave)
Crash not to Desktop (same as the CTD only slightly more annoying).

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
many people said:
Where was the review?
Does a review really have to be in a big box with a fluorescent label that says "REVIEW" on it for you to realise what it is? The review is right in front of you. Watch the video again and notice how Yahtzee makes little criticisms throughout his story - a story of his experience playing the game. Hmmm... I'm sure there's a word for something like that...

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
aristos_achaion said:
Goodness, Yahtzee was rushing through that game--I thought I got to New Vegas a bit ahead of schedule, and I had about 5000 caps and a couple of weeks of game time under my belt beforehand. Great review, though -- it's great to see a review that isn't just complaining about the bugs.

ED: I'd kind of been hoping that Yahtzee would get jumped by Deathclaws rather than Cazadors on his northerly shortcut...I was really wondering what ZP art he'd break out for a Deathclaw...
On my first play though I was broke by the time I hit vegas because I always felt the need to purchase every Stimpack and doctor bag I could find and constantly bought shiny new things that were only marginally better than my rusty old things. On my second play through I had enormous piles of money because I realized if I was simply not stupid when playing I wouldn't need a billion stimpacks and doctor bags and felt no need to check out shiny new things when I could just find a version of it eventually for free anyhow.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Roofstone said:
Not being able to use stimpaks to heal limbs does at a challenge to the game that it really generally lacked on my first playthrough. You do seem to get dehydrated really often though. Plus sodas making you thirsty is really stupid (diuretics don't dehydrate you, they just make you piss more, having it temporarily increase the rate of dehydration would make more sense).

Aside from crashes (which elevated much higher when using mods for whatever reason) and the occasional glitched enemy are annoying the bad design decisions are much worse in my opinion... stuff like the very obvious and intrusive invisible walls in places, loosing karma for stealing from enemy factions who you have just murdered to death and stripped naked, having people turn hostile because the game didnt give indication that the phrase they were starting to say was "If you come any closer I'm authorised to shoot!", odd karma losses, and generally the game getting very easy later on (especially when you get a companion, at lower levels they're 4x as powerful as you). Still a very good game though, but there were a few rough edges I really wish they'd smoothed out.

To the poster beneath me: Not really, on my second playthrough I got there and inside in under an hour or two I'd say.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Holy god, I hadn't realized what a lazy fuck Yahtzee was until now. He skipped literally like every story element and all the faction stuff in favor of sprinting straight to New Vegas, which can be and generally is the finale of the game.

It's kind of hard to critique generic shooters and other similar shit games made for people with ADD when you can't spend more than ten hours on RPGs with fifty hours of available gameplay. Jesus.

Yea, yea, I know Yahtzee isn't a real reviewer/critic, but this particular installment of ZP wasn't really funny at all, either. I was more interested in what Yahtzee was doing with his character until it became blatantly obvious that he wasn't making any real attempt to immerse himself in the game.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I share Yahtzee's disappointment, as I was really into his day by day telling of New Vegas only to have it end suddenly after a crash.

I think it would be awesome if he did an entire game play through like this; it'd be like the Unskippable Let's Play only cartoonier.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well I didn't see that coming for this review, I rather enjoyed this little take on a review and the music made me giggle everytime I saw a new day pop up on screen. Now I have that song stuck in my head and everything. I love the idea of international "Go fuck yourself" laws when it comes to "stealing" things from raiders and bad guys.

LackingSaint

Apr 23, 2008
Xzi said:
Holy god, I hadn't realized what a lazy fuck Yahtzee was until now. He skipped literally like every story element and all the faction stuff in favor of sprinting straight to New Vegas, which can be and generally is the finale of the game.

It's kind of hard to critique generic shooters and other similar shit games made for people with ADD when you can't spend more than ten hours on RPGs with fifty hours of available gameplay. Jesus.

Yea, yea, I know Yahtzee isn't a real reviewer/critic, but this particular installment of ZP wasn't really funny at all, either. I was more interested in what Yahtzee was doing with his character until it became blatantly obvious that he wasn't making any real attempt to immerse himself in the game at all.
Boom. Personally I usually find these 'reviews' pretty funny little mickey-takes of games, but this.. nah.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Soda (especially cola) contains caffeine, which is a diuretic. As the name suggests it's a drug that increases urination which will affect the intake of water.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
A Pious Cultist said:
Roofstone said:
Not being able to use stimpaks to heal limbs does at a challenge to the game that it really generally lacked on my first playthrough. You do seem to get dehydrated really often though. Plus sodas making you thirsty is really stupid (diuretics don't dehydrate you, they just make you piss more, having it temporarily increase the rate of dehydration would make more sense).
You've never been through high school health class? Try drinking a bunch of soda and going for a run. Yea, it dehydrates you. It's basically sugar water with a nice glob of syrup thrown in there for funzies.

Not that I don't enjoy soda myself, but yea, it's not something you want to drink while working out. Or doing anything strenuous.

creazur

Jun 16, 2010
I've played the game through now once and second time on the run. First time I played with Hard difficulty and now I'm going on Very Hard and both times I've set the Hardcore mode on. It gives me the mandatory element of role-playing that I've always tried to have with my Fallouts. And luckily I'm one of the few that have the game working nice with no freezes and crashes.

IMO if you love Fallout 1 and 2, here's the third for you. Fallout 3 was good game and all, but this one earns the title Fallout 3 in my shelf.

And thanks Yahtzee once again for review that was something very own of you and as humoring as always.

CaptainLudicrous

Mar 19, 2010
Grey_Focks said:
Okay Yahtzee, I may regularly disagree with your reviews and opinions and such, but this video proves it- You need to start making Let's Plays. Seriously, I'd watch them.

Please?
I whole heartedly agree.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
Hm...... I don't get it. Am i missing somthing? And by it i mean the review.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Clever, making the video appear to freeze up four minutes in. You know, like the game itself!

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
That was the funniest of the more recent videos, and I a lot of people seem to agree. I think it's clear why; Yahtzee's videos, though I am not in any way criticizing them, are not a delicate artform. It's fast paced entertainment that doesn't leave us waiting for the next part at any point and there is nothing wrong with that (especially not when it has actual brains behind it, like ZP does)
Thus, YAHTZEE NEEDS GIMMICKS!

Moar and moar of them. All the time. Because they grab attention quickly and that's all we need ;D No more clever opinions!

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Great review!
Been thinking of getting the game for quite a while now. Really enjoyed Fallout 3, so I hope it'll be fun.

Kind of sad with all the bugs though. The third one had a share of annoying stuff, mainly freezing up, but I haven't seen too many of them in a while now. Maybe it has been fixed?

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
I am kinda surprised, your PC did not melt in to a plastic goo.

All the same I am surprised your game only budged out once, I my game crashed 4 time before I got to Novack.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
Disappointing review. Couldnt careless that he disliked the game thats what his reviews are all about. But yahtzee can still make comment on things that are good. And to say that its totally the same as fallout 3 is clearly wrong.

Also didnt find the 3 day adventure style of review very funny either.

Oh well better luck next week.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
teebeeohh said:
the problem with hardcore mode is that the eating/drinking/sleeping mechanics are just a variation of using stims to recover HP. The thing that makes it harder is that ammo has weight (but this only applies to gun-focused builds) and that you can't just rush into a hord of supermutants and stim you way out(because stims take time and there are no hordes of supermutants in the Mojave)
well healing is not that big an issue in hc you just need to stack healing stuff stim pack, some food, some beverage all give +hp recovery for x amt of time. fact that game pauses while you eat drink and stim during a fight is kinda lame tho. but a adult deathclaw will ruin your day in a hurry no matter how much stuff you swallow or shoot up.

hydra is great for limbs but is also addictive as hell, your status monitor you can choose what limbs to use doctors kits and stim packs on which helps.

ammo is the big issues in hc mode, as well as pure water and other stuff, micromanaging your inventory in hc mode is the biggest pita when you got to carry enough drinks, food, heal items to stand up in combat plus enough ammo for your various guns. fact in the vanilla game you cannot bottle pure water is a bit of a huh and duh factor lest on pc we got mods that allow that but that almost makes the game too easy early on but it is sensible, end game when your killing legions left and right they drop purified water at a almost stupid rate.

quest gltches are the worst of the lot some of them are game breaking, lest i lost about 30 hours to quest glitch plus saves going bad.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Love this review. Really enjoyed how you approached it this time.

btw, soda does dehydrate you in real life too. you know, because of all the sodium and sugars in it.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Roofstone said:
Little bit 'o' both. For the love of christ, just take the time to be prepared when you set off and keep an eye out for anything even vaguely edible when you come across a scavenging site. If you charge on regardless, you'll find yourself suddenly smacked in the face halfway through a usually immersive game with a warning of starvation, dehydration or sleep deprivation and realize that your manful stride has now been tripped up a bit because all you can think about is getting the supplies you need... so yeah, just take a minute to keep well-stocked. And limit your guns and ammo if you value inventory space, because as you may well be aware, ammo now has a weight value.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
great review, tho Yatzee seam to have left his glasses at home and played New Vegas in a blur and missed all the small details that kinda makes his "copy/paste my opinions on Fallout 3" bit at the start a bit off.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Yeah, the characters that tell you not to go north, along with the various dangerous wildlife out that way, were kinda just put in to be annoying.

But the hostage situation was so you could ask where the guy who stole your McGuffin (and shot you in the head) went. Since they were the hired thugs from the beginning and all.

In addition, things that happen further along in the game during Hardcore mode include recruited people dying and ammo weighing you down.

And I agree, the freezing is annoying.

PS: Soda (and booze) actually do make you thirsty. As for the plus and minus signs, it (like the other Hardcore gauges) are basically re-worked versions of radiation.

Personally, I love the game, despite sometimes wanting to beat it to a bloody pulp. Largely because I took Bloody Mess, and can make people explode in twelve hundred directions at once.

Maybe it's just because of my giant army of powerful robots. Or because I keep playing after a single incident. On an unrelated note, it took me a solid minute to get the Chzo games functional, due to the passage of time. Those games are awesome.

thenightgaunt

Mar 2, 2008
I enjoyed the review, but I get the feeling he missed the point of New Vegas...or maybe that is the point?

Basically, if you liked Fallout 3 or any of the Fallout games, you'll like NV because it was written by people who can actually design and write a plot for a damned RPG unlike those tallentless jackoffs over at Bethesda.

But if you hated Fallout 3 or any of the Fallout games, you'll hate this one. So why the hell would you even give a damn about this game. I hated Halo and surprisingly I didn't like any of the other Halo games either.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
You know, soda does infact dehydrate you, the sugar and flavoring dissolved in it makes it nearly on par with sea water.
This is especially true for soda with caffeine (IE most of them). That one makes you piss more, so you lose even more water that way.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Sooo........ you.... liked.... it?

Im totally confused on weather you enjoyed it or not.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I found myself laughing at this. I liked his immersive attempt at trying to actually immerse himself in the game. I also like how every time a game gets ripped to shreds by the public (bugs bugs bugs copypaseoffallout3 bugs hurp derp) Yahtzee figures out a way to be original with his review. Kudos.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
Wow that was kinda creepy, he just described my entire experience with the game from start to finish. Or freeze, rather.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
LOL i love how people were agreeing with him before the video could have actually been played lol. Nice video. i enjoyed the "Role Playing" aspect of it.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
Wow, that was dead on accurate, play through the gmae, dont go straight north of your starting town till you have more firepower then a gunship, and enjoy the plethora of crashes when you actually get to vegas
fun game though, i must admit
and its fallout 3.0000001

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Dante Spears said:
He says in the first 30 seconds that he's already reviewed this game because it's basically just an addon pack to Fallout 3. So if you want the review, go watch his old fallout 3 review

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Whew... After several 'meh' episodes, ZP returns to it's normal awesomeness. I laughed a lot.

Also, New Vegas is great, despite the bugs.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
It still amazes me that people give Yahtzee's opinion any sort of weight. He's a comedian not a critic, folks. He may point out things that are worth your time to consider, but if you base your purchasing decision solely upon his 'reviews', you're really doing yourself a disservice. You may bleat now. Thank you.

About all that was really relevent was the bit about how it's basically 'Fallout: More Edition', and the lock-up... which, come to think of it, isn't really all that accurate, because the damn thing locks up on me constantly. If he only experienced the one, and it was that far into the game (at least 4-6 hours of playing), he should consider himself lucky.

FurKlarheitIchRant

Nov 9, 2010
this review is what I need, I have a friend that bands on about fallout 3 and has been practically wetting himself every time new vagas is mentioned, so I will probably drag this review right up to his face like a dead body, I hope yatzee reviews black opp's I WANT BLOOD I WANT BLOOD I WANT BLOOD.

Halotestin

Oct 8, 2010
played it for 2 hours at a friends house.

Felt 2 emotions

1) Uggh, not this shit again...
2) why the hell am I staying indoors?

It sucked for me.

If you like fallout 3, get this game.
If you're a mister nostalgia like me for Fallout 1&2, this piece of shit feels like "oblivion with guns in a depressing landscape 2".

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I can't even tell if he even liked the game haha. Since he actually did like Fallout 3 (more than his review let on actually), my guess is "kind of" but is held down by bugs.

On the topic of bugs, over 15 hours the game has froze on me twice, with the odd AI pathfinding bug but so far nothing the prevents progression or casual hours of enjoyments (before crashes of course). All in all New Vegas is superior to Fallout 3 WIHTOUT the bugs but given it came out 2 years after, the comparison isn't that much...

...meh, I'm still loving it.

FurKlarheitIchRant

Nov 9, 2010
solidstatemind said:
It still amazes me that people give Yahtzee's opinion any sort of weight. He's a comedian not a critic, folks. He may point out things that are worth your time to consider, but if you base your purchasing decision solely upon his 'reviews', you're really doing yourself a disservice. You may bleat now. Thank you.

About all that was really relevent was the bit about how it's basically 'Fallout: More Edition', and the lock-up... which, come to think of it, isn't really all that accurate, because the damn thing locks up on me constantly.
this people is why I want to make being a yahtzee fan a religious opinion

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Damn, I was totally into that story. I think I'd probably watch a two hour Yahtzee Fallout story. You know, so long as it didn't freeze.
Hahaha. You said exactly what I was thinking.

How much d'you reckon we'd need to pay Yahtzee to get him to do some kind of storytelling once a week?

Either way, the review has made me reconsider 'rushing out' to get New Vegas.

Still seems like it's worth a playthrough, and by the time I feel obliged to buy it, hopefully they will have ironed out all the bugs.

I do have to wonder if the flies at the beginning of the story were a metaphor for bugs in the game..

Thundorn

Feb 18, 2010
I always enjoy Yahtzee's reviews, although on this occasion i reckon he didnt put enough emphasis on the buggy crap. This title is really called Fallout because I am seriously starting to fall out with my reset button which i have to hit 20 or 30 times a day since i started playing this. Having said that i still appreciate these reviews more then the smarmy comments by some individuals who sit in their ivory towers making snide comments about yahtzee and anyone who listens to him

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
This game's got glitches by the number,
bugs by the score,
each day I try to get somewhere
and each day it crashes more
This game's got gliches by the number,
It's a game I can't win,
'cause the quests I do stop counting
and the game picks when to end.

I've heard four songs so many times on the radio (this one and Big Iron have actually on occasion played twice in a row), all I can do is make up new lyrics.

"Play it again,
Johnny Retard"

Nvv

Sep 28, 2009
Roofstone said:
Well, it makes things tougher. Stimpaks heal over time etc. so you might consider it just a pain in the arse. But I think it's immersive and very very fun.

darkman80723

Jul 1, 2009
Roofstone said:
Pain in the Royal arse.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Great rev.. hmm.. video. Havent tried hardcore mode ,because the game told me not to at the beginning ,even if it is an oversized DLC for fo3 i still loved it ,but those flies and giant scorpions are really a pain in the ass ,even at higher levels i keep getting my ass handed to me by those things ,unless i want to waste most of my supplies fighting them..

Ryokai

Apr 4, 2010
"It wasn't stealing because they attacked me, so it's mine under the international law of go fuck youself" Best line ever. You listening, Israel?

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
his best yet, a whole new twist on his video.....hilarious, witty, and creative (gold star for old people who let you drink toilet water)

kementari

Mar 18, 2008
Anyone recall the name of the music used in this video? I used to know, but I can't recall, and now I want to hunt it down.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
KEM10 said:
Okysho said:
Pick it up on Black Friday, by then they will have a good number of the bugs sorted out. But you noticed how his only criticisms were soda makes you dehydrated (it does) and it crashed. He had more anger when it came to Batman and he said that was one the better games he has picked up.
Canadian, I had my Thanksgiving in October, plus I don't own a PS3/360

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
KEM10 said:
Okysho said:
you're telling him to shop on black friday? are you trying to kill him?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Hilarious.

I haven't played New Vegas, but besides the strange plus and minus crap, I actually get why the soda counts as making dehydration worse. Soda in real life though it has water as an ingredient, is a beverage that will dehydrate you. Learned that a long time ago, when I was just drinking soda during the summer.

Sep 4, 2009
The Wolfenstein reviews is now my *2nd* favourite ZP episode. Bravo Yahtzee.

Was that sample from Glenn Miller or Jive Bunny & The Master Mixers? I can't tell.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
KEM10 said:
Okysho said:
No, don't try to fight the hordes on Black Friday. Injuries will happen.

Oh and I don't know why people are complaining that soda dehydrates them in the game. Though I haven't played the game, I like that it does. Reason, soda in real life dehydrates you. It does have water as an ingredient, but it has a lot of others that dehydrate you. Drink just soda, lots of soda during the summer and see how you feel.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Yet again brilliant review. I was wondering about whether you liked it or not, but after watching it again and seeing the first bit about Fallout 3 it answered my question.

Can't wait for next week.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahaa that was great

Knoxy said:
While the video was funny and it's always nice to change things up a bit, I have to ask: Where was the actual review bit? More in Extra Punctuation maybe?
see Fallout 3 video? loll (think that was his point early on)

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
A travelogue of sorts. How lovely. I enjoy when his reviews are slightly off-kilter.
Having skipped around randomly on this thread, I'm heartened by the lack of "Bawww you briefly mentioned the whole 'game-breaking bugs' thing. You're so mean bawww" as if that didn't get old within a day or so, but I notice a high volume of "wheres teh review this is just a humourous rant" posts.

Guess it comes with getting a large audience all at once. (Remember the MOH Airborne snafu? "DO UR JOB AND STOP H8ING AMERICA!!1!11!1!one" Meanwhile, his "job" is to get hits and those mouth-breathers pretty much bought everyone on the Escapist staff a shiny new Rolex.)

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Haha, Romans in a post-apocalyptic setting? Being the roman-history geek I am I find that quite amusing actually.

But I have never played a Fallout game and despite there being roman wannabes in this I don't think I I will anytime soon. Still, a nice change on the usual review style for ZP. Well done

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hader said:
Haha, Romans in a post-apocalyptic setting? Being the roman-history geek I am I find that quite amusing actually.

But I have never played a Fallout game and despite there being roman wannabes in this I don't think I I will anytime soon. Still, a nice change on the usual review style for ZP. Well done

They use proper latin with perfect pronunciation. Here is more on them: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Caesars_Legion

MK_Red

Aug 2, 2009
Fun video but where was the review!? Goddammit Yahtzee, you owe me one review. Though to be fair, it was a rather fun journal and I'd love to see more of it but come on, all those "bugs" and just 2-3 nods?

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Hader said:

They use proper latin with perfect pronunciation. Here is more on them: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Caesar%27s_Legion.

Interesting, they use Latin even? Pretty cool, though I would still beat it into their heads the proper pronunciation of Caesar. :p

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hader said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hader said:

They use proper latin with perfect pronunciation. Here is more on them: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Caesar%27s_Legion.

Interesting, they use Latin even? Pretty cool, though I would still beat it into their heads the proper pronunciation of Caesar. :p
By the way the link is now fixed. it couldn't use the ' sign and that broke it. its fixed now.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
I beat Fallout New Vegas and playing it again but I still haven't touched hardcore mode... Partly because I can't stand the idea of playing it until the bugs are gone, and party because I already seem to spend too much time on the inventory screen as it is. Also, thinking about eating, sleeping and drinking liquids in real life is hard enough as it is, I don't need more of that in video games...

I wonder if Zero Punctuation was around in the 1990s if Yahtzee after playing Fallout 2 would be like same exact game as Fallout 1!

That said, the video was still entertaining.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
Evilsanta said:

Anyways is this game any good? Besides the crashes that happens now and then is the game any good?
I am on my second play through of the game now, and I have only crashed once when I was alt-tabbing from fallout 3 to windows like 20 times in 1 minute due to checking score of a hockey game.

I can't speak for consolse, and I realy don't see a point in why anyone would play this kind of game on a console (?) since PC verision is superb compared to them. But on my Win 7 64bit system everything run fine.

And I completed the game before the patch came out! (And I am still unsure if steam has applied the patch to the game or not?!)

Anyway: This game is well worth buying! 9/10.

MortarTeam

Jul 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
I hate F3. And yes, i like F1, and F2. But Yahtzee made New Vegas sound like fun (except for the "froze" part) So I'm feeling like playing this game. After a couple patches are released, of course.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
By the way the link is now fixed. it couldn't use the ' sign and that broke it. its fixed now.
Oh don't worry I got it to work eventually. Interesting ideas Caesar employs there. I'd say for the most part I agree with the methods, though some fundamental changes could be beneficial and at the same time, I haven't played the game so I also don't have the best context of it all. But overall still interesting.

Shut_up_Flanders

Mar 24, 2010
I think he liked it even with the bugs. I've lost plenty of hours of my life to Fallout and then have it crash so I can relate.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I love New Vegas, and I love this review.

I knew it was destined for greatness when Yahtzee said he went north. Fucking cazadors. =)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hvitedod said:
I hate F3. And yes, i like F1, and F2. But Yahtzee made New Vegas sound like fun (except for the "froze" part) So I'm feeling like playing this game. After a couple patches are released, of course.
FNV really comes closer to the style of the first two games. I enjoyed F3, but this game is much better, and doesn't trivialize the biggest badasses (Super Mutants, Deathclaws and guys in Power Armor) like F3 did.

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
First timed I've laughed at a ZP in a looooong time. Good stuff.

I tried heading north at the beginning too, and suffered the same fate. Then I tried avoiding the wasps by going a bit more to the east and got mulched by deathclaws instead. Nasty. Learned my lesson after that.

Strave

Gallant Gentleman
Feb 5, 2009
Hooray! A Zero Punctuation where we got some older music again! It's been so long!

Was that some delicious Glenn Miller I detected?

ProzacMan

Aug 24, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
I'm with him! Maybe the Escapist can pay you a little extra to do one day a week of the game as Yahtzee's Fallout New Vegas videos on top of your regular reviews. :D

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Roofstone said:
A pain and not really challenging at all if you do what Yahtzee (or anyone else) did - stole everything you saw. Sorry if I'm the 20th person to quote you, 6 pages already and I ain't reading all that.

Other than that, great video, a refreshing deviation from the usual rants.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I do believe the review people seem to demand came in at the end where he said it was hard to enjoy the game with all the bugs.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho but didn't Yahtzee say he doesn't actually review games. So why does everyone expect these videos to be full on reviews still? Also at the start he said that everything he felt about fallout 3 was said in the fallout 3 video so there you go.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Meh, I think that I am getting tired of Yahtzee after all these years. Didn't even chuckle once during this. A breaks seems in order.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
KillerRabbit said:
Evilsanta said:

I am on my second play through of the game now, and I have only crashed once when I was alt-tabbing from fallout 3 to windows like 20 times in 1 minute due to checking score of a hockey game.

I can't speak for consolse, and I realy don't see a point in why anyone would play this kind of game on a console (?) since PC verision is superb compared to them. But on my Win 7 64bit system everything run fine.

And I completed the game before the patch came out! (And I am still unsure if steam has applied the patch to the game or not?!)

Hm...I might buy it then. And i got Fallout 3 to PC and i got crashes motly when i tabbed so that might be why :p. Maybe i should get New Vegas to.

Hawaiigm

Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, this was way better then his Fallout Three review because I could tell he already played the game, where as F3 felt like he made the review after listening to someone else play it.

I like the commentary about how easy it is to steal shit in this game (I walked out of the Brotherhood bunker with like, 24 laser pistols without even trying).

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Yeah, I agree with Yahtzee that re-reviewing Fallout 3 (I mean, reviewing New Vegas) would have been a waste of time. The only thing that would be lacking from his Fallout 3 review would be Liam Neeson and the complaint about subway tunnels.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Roofstone said:
Both. "You're dehydrated!", "Well, gee. I gots no water and the nearest town is too far away on foot. This is immersive, but at the same time I'm absolutely screwed."

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
These rare Stories (like with Demon's souls) seem to be much funnier than "proper" reviews, maybe he could do a separate show just for amusing experiences inbetween writing books, putting off "fun space game", working in a bar, writing the weekly colomn and... eh, probably has a tight schedule as it is.

Schlagwerk

Nov 5, 2009
Rule of thumb for Bethesda games: wait for GOTY. The bugs'll all be sorted out by then.

It doesn't excuse them, but it at least makes you want to tear your own hair out a lot less.

Zixinus

Aug 13, 2008
A few thoughts:

One thing that definitely improved is the writing. Unlike Fallout 3 where everything is actually fairly clear-cut trough the veil of grittiness, you actually get the idea that most of the factions have their ideology and history. Ceaser is a warlord with a fancy theme, the NRC is like a modern government (it means well if you ignore its greed, corruption and occasional incompetence) and Mr.House wants Vegas to be his. The character work is improved too, you genuinely get the feel that these people live in the world you are in rather than fanfic-inserts. All of the companions, even the dog (although that's hinted), has a bit of history they can tell and have their own view of the world (you can ask about their opinion about various factions).

There are more speech checks too, meaning that you can solve a problem diplomatically with something else than just Speech. Repair, Barter, Medicine, Survival and Science (and even gun skills) can help you solve quests through dialog.

More quests can also be solved multiple ways and less rarely your usual "kill 20 rats in the cellar" type stuff. For one thing, the quests are a bit more logical, sometimes requires a bit of investigation and written well (unlike in Oblivion where you were everyone's favorite *****).

As for Hardcore mode... Yahtzee is right, it doesn't add that much. It's just means that you need extra health items and a new skill (Survival, which to be fair, also allows you to make certain drugs, make more use out of skins/meat and is actually a sort of alternative to Medicine). It tries to add a new dimension to the game, but the truth is, that once you are past the breaking point of difficulty, you trip over most of the health items you need. Not that it's bad mind you, just needs more depth.

Crafting is more ingrained though, as you can craft ammo and health items. This also sort of combines two skills, as you can craft Gun items with Repair (you can re-make bullets too) and Energy weapon ammo (which ammunition you can recycle) with Science (making it useful for something more than just occasionally cracking a terminal). Also, with Survival, you can make poisons that you can use with melee weapons. However, I dislike that there are less crafted weapons.

The bugs can be annoying, ESPECIALLY on console however. I'm not cheating or modding (much) but there is actually a DLL file out there that will massively help improve performance, as well as certain issues. Still, I have already learned some console commands to play trough the game (especially companion teleporting because the fucks constantly get gliched or lost).
However, these will likely be fixed over time and I would rather take some bugs over boring quests with uninspiring stories.

Overall, I think it is an improvement over Fallout 3.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Haha, they attacked me so they fall unther the international law of go fuck yourself.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Am I the only one here that has been to a live concert? Black Friday is nothing compared to front row of Gogol Bordello or Rise Against. Hell, I've been to bar shows that have more mayhem in them.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Me too!

He really should do a Let's Play.

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
J-Alfred said:
Yeah, I agree with Yahtzee that re-reviewing Fallout 3 (I mean, reviewing New Vegas) would have been a waste of time. The only thing that would be lacking from his Fallout 3 review would be Liam Neeson and the complaint about subway tunnels.
If you were to simply look at a gameplay trailer, yeah Fallout new vegas would look similar to FO3. Except underneath its a vastly better designed, written, and thoughtful experience. Building your character actually MATTERS this time around, with the various stat checks effecting how you approach quests. The main quest doesn't rail road you down a single path, leaving you free to ally or turn against different factions. You can conveniently act nicely towards a faction only to backstab them at their weakest moment. You also have the option to just screw EVERYONE. It terms of actual roleplaying, New Vegas is one of the best RPGs to come out in years.

The setting is also far more coherent this time around. There is a semblance of civilization, towns, and power struggles between the various factions and gangs. Unlike Fallout 3 where after 200 YEARS everything is still completely destitute. Bethesda simply recycled plot elements from FO1 and 2 haphazardly hoping no one would notice.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Knoxy said:
He said at the start that he had already made a review...the fallout 3 review. So just watch that and you will know his feelings about New Vagas.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Funny part was I knew it was going to end with something rather silly, and comprehending the character to just freeze up upon seeing New Vegas was enough to make me snicker for a few moments >:3

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
KillerRabbit said:
Evilsanta said:

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'seeing the point' of not playing the game on the pc. Does the pc make the game better? Does it raise the immersion? I woundn't think so.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
It would appear as if we've come to the conclusion that the game is buggy.
Yes, yes it is.
It's also one of the best games of the year and I haven't even done hardcore mode yet.

Sonicdude

Jan 2, 2009
As much as I loved hearing from Yahtzee his experience of playing New Vegas, this is one of those reviews where I am left dissatisfied by the review itself. This is more of "My time playing Fallout New Vegas and disregarding the game" than "What New Vegas has that Fallout 3 doesn't". Or even "Did you know the guys who made Alpha Protocol?"

Ah whatever, I'm expecting too much from Yahtzee at that point. I mean who actually attempts to beat a game once to review it?

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
KEM10 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Am I the only one here that has been to a live concert? Black Friday is nothing compared to front row of Gogol Bordello or Rise Against. Hell, I've been to bar shows that have more mayhem in them.
Many years back I was couple rows of people from the front at a POD concert. It was standing room only, I almost got totally knocked down twice, the second time was halfway to the floor.

It was awful, it smelled like somebody around me took a shit in their pants and I could barely hear anything for several days.

It was the first and most likely the last concert I go to. I only went that time because my friends were going and they encouraged me to go because they said a person must experience at least one concert in his life. I actually never listened to POD that much before I went.

I personally would go to a concert again, only if there was a reasonable amount of space for people to move around and people weren't acting like insane people jumping around an pushing people, which most likely ends in somebody getting trampled.

AnonymousBosch

Jan 28, 2009
Entering the Strip worked for me... once. Every time since, it crashes, and corrupts the autosave and the previous save game. Unfortunately, I sent my companions to the Hotel, and can't get them back.

Then, 70 hours in, I reloaded my last save game to discover that items in my inventory are from the DLC, and need to reinstall it to work, with the following message saying it can no longer find my storage device. I figured i'd try the save game before it. Same deal. I went back through the 20 previous saves, happens every time. I figure it takes a special kind of Fail to have a bug that corrupts that many save games.

This game simply isn't ready for release.

Zudarkness

Feb 24, 2010
its really a great game besides the bugs which fucking piss me off. you think after fallout 3 they would of fix the same bugs.... my own review is like this as well... Great game same crabs. Easier to play however and more enjoyable.

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
Scarecrow 8 said:
I don't quite understand what you mean by 'seeing the point' of not playing the game on the pc. Does the pc make the game better? Does it raise the immersion? I woundn't think so.
While this game is perfectly playable on consoles, with PC you get all the community mods which include essential bug fixes, gameplay/difficulty enchancements, general additions, and new quests. Basically it extends its value tenfold.

Like this community mod that add in epic sandstorms. Here is an example http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/sappan_2007/falloutNV2010-11-0816-00-08-96.jpg

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Condiments said:
Scarecrow 8 said:
While this game is perfectly playable on consoles, with PC you get all the community mods which include essential bug fixes, gameplay/difficulty enchancements, general additions, and new quests. Basically it extends its value tenfold.

Like this community mod that add in epic sandstorms. Here is an example http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/sappan_2007/falloutNV2010-11-0816-00-08-96.jpg
That does sound a bit nice, but I hate every man, woman and child on the planet so I don't like dealing with online communitys. And I'm too lazy to bother to download mods or make them....so I think I'll just a patched version of the game for the console.

Oliver Pink

Apr 3, 2010
Dante Spears said:
In the same place as his 'Review' of Duke Nukem Forever...

It was taking a holiday so he could be HILARIOUS.

0puncfan

Aug 26, 2009
just a quick thing to point out...
caffine - in soda actually does make you more thirsty in real life... JUST so you know...

Loved the review yahtzee! very funny, and it beats the old and stale version of review... you know i do love ur other reviews, but doin the same thing over and over isnt as fun (as you have said in some of your reviews), so it's nice to see you do something different once in a while... :D

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Sakurazaki1023 said:
Damn, I was hoping he would review something new and interesting... like Vanquish...
Why does everyone say Vanquish is new or interesting? It's maybe a tad more interesting than Army of Two, but so is paste.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Roofstone said:

probably already answered, but really it only adds to what you need to keep an eye on.

you can play on very easy with hardcore mode turned on, the main differences are that your followers can be killed, and you need to eat/drink/sleep or you die.

also, only doctors bags or actual doctors can heal limbs.

all that is what you need to survive to get a 100 gamerscore achievement/gold[platinum?] trophy.

its more of a pain in the ass than actual immersion, mainly due to it not being its own difficulty level, had it been its own difficulty, then it might of been a little bit more awesome.

Cid SilverWing said:
This felt unusually shorter than your standard. Was this game THAT shit?
nope, just the game itself is short as hell, there are only 4-5 main quests with about a ton of sidequests.

if you were to do just the main questline, you could beat it in about 5-6 hours.......tops........

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I liked fallout new Vegas honestly, but I did enjoy the his work non the less. (was going to his piece, but then it came to be that's pretty gay. I did just say something about piece and came in the same sentence wow.)

Xsist

Jul 20, 2009
Loved the review and i felt that it where pretty precise to how most people play the game ^^

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
It's been a while, but finally a new Zero Punctuation I can honestly say I liked. Good job, mister Croshaw.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Drunkbot said:
Sigh. This is where the gaming industry wants their standards set. Mission accomplished.
How can a buggy-as-fuck half-baked blingfest even be nominated for a Game of the Year title?

This sort of thing really pissed me off with Fallout 3. Please don't let the same thing happen to New Vegas, because it honestly doesn't deserve GotY either.

To be fair; its competition is in the same class (albeit, less buggy) since they're all sequels too.
Halo: Reach, Mass Effect 2, CoD4 Mark III Black Ops, Starcraft 2.

I miss the days where GotY was given out to fresh experiences, good gameplay, and COMPLETE GAMES rather than what took Gold in the last two years.[/rant]

I do like these "Hands-on Summaries" Yahtzee. Do them a little more often.
so a game regardless of how good can't be a game of the year?

Loxes

Apr 15, 2009
I don't know if it's incredibly necessary to the continued running of the site or not, but I personally found the advert at the beginning extremely annoying.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
Sakurazaki1023 said:
Damn, I was hoping he would review something new and interesting... like Vanquish...
Why does everyone say Vanquish is new or interesting? It's maybe a tad more interesting than Army of Two, but so is paste.
Yahtzee has mentioned in the Cain And Lynch 2 video that third person shooters are dull and boring since you spend your entire time sitting behind cover taking potshots at enemy's heads in dark rooms. By comparison, Vanquish has you in a brightly lit series of stark white environments gunning down enemies at mach 2. It only forces you into cover in order to let your suit recover, and for the most part it rewards speed and skill and discourages sitting in cover.

I figured he would take the opportunity to mention a new IP that actually managed to make an entire game based on third-person shooting interesting (essentially making it a counterpoint to the CaL2 video). Unfortunately, a massive amount of quality games have come out recently so he could only do one or two of them before the Black Ops review (since there is no way his fans would let him wait a week or two on that one...)

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
So I haven't even watched this yet, but I almost shat myself in uncontrollable happiness when I played the clip and it was NOT prefaced by someone yelling "Were YOU just wondering who created the ULTIMATE MONSTER MEAT STICK???!!!"

Or whatever they say. I'm glad to be rid of those Slim Jim commercials. The Old Spice ones have always been a lot funnier anyway.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
sethzard said:
Interesting variation of your reviews
Yep.

I'd actually enjoy and entire sereis of yhatzee doing a per (in game) day narrtion of his gameplay for this for 3 months.

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Dante Spears said:
Basically he was saying, it's the same as Fallout 3, no review needed because he already covered it.

I watched my friend battle the mutant, bee/fly things and watched him reload about 18 times as they swarmed him and a person he was guarding while trying to get to a Ranger station. It would have been hilarious if I were a jerk, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him having to reload and reload and reload to just try to get to a ranger station.