Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

Weerez

Dec 24, 2008
Australian accent has nothing on British accent.

Have now sounds like Hev.

Makes me sad, but the review was funny. "Dis shit be real, yo" was pretty funny along with the neon signs above the guys head.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
This was probably the worst of Yahtzee's reviews. It was boring and seemed to have recycled books.

tooktook

Feb 13, 2008
mokes310 said:
My sentiments exactly, although, Yahtzee is a bit more eloquent than I am, and much more talented with the South African accent.

My time to Shine! I live in Cape Town South Africa and the accent he was imitating was the Afrikaans accent (The Afrikaans were the white rulers during Apartheid, now the country is 80% black) and he did an awful job. In places it was passable but it really did suck.

Also, it made playing Far Cry 2 that much more painful as the accents in that game are equally bad.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
crikey,I think our boy Yahtz is slippin' into a new accent! I knew no man could live in Australia for so long and not get the accent!

I kinda like it though: it's new, and +10 for the power rangers reference, whom I despise now on looking back

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
looks liek im not gunna get that game, i wasnt countign on getting it anyway because the first one was just so fustrating

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
At first the accent was South African, but gradually faded to nasal Australian the longer he used it.

Anyway, I agree with his review: too many sandbox games out already, and they make one with no overarching point. Do not want.

(1st post ever!)

jewru

Jun 1, 2008
that was a good one, loved the power rangers reference , is it just me or is Yahtzee starting to sound more Australian than British

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I thought that he would hate it more, but nevertheless, a good review.
jewru said:
that was a good one, loved the power rangers reference , is it just me or is Yahtzee starting to sound more Australian than British
It's not just you by the way.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Wasn't going to post since Fahr Crey 2 never really caught me interest, but Yahtzee's pseudo-Australian-South-African-Err-Whatchamacallit-Accent made this review FUN.

hoov

Jan 21, 2009
I had to register, because something is confusing me.

Are people in this thread joking when they keep asking "what's with the accent" I realise maybe some younger members of the forum may not be so familiar with south african accents, but it was explained pretty clearly in the video that that's what he was doing.

And several people have asked about it, and it's been explained several times by various people that, he was doing a south african accent, and yet some people seem to be unable to grasp this very simple concept. So I can only assume people are either joking or must have severe learning difficulties. Is it that some people only listen to the swear words, and just sort of blank out the rest because they find it too confusing?

How about actually reading the thread, instead of just posting the first thought that pops into your confused little head and just skipping over any comments that don't seem to be responding to your own post.

I will say the accent was overdone and it seemed like he was just doing it because he was struggling to think of any other jokes, but I enjoyed the review nonetheless.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
I liked it, except that he didn't mention the shooting gameplay. Planning your attack, carrying it out, and/or having to fire back desperately as enemies close in from all directions is the best part of the game, and I don't think he devoted a single word to that. Everything else was pretty much true, though.

Disgracelands X

Jan 21, 2009
Great review again Ben! Been watching you since your Fable & Darkness reviews way back on Youtube & seen everyone since. I think you put yourself at the top of my number one reviewer list when you slated Halo 3!

Does anyone else feel that Far Cry 2 was just a 'better looking' yet ultimately even more flawed version of Atari's pc fps/rpg "Boiling Point"?
Being the video game connoisseur that Yahtzee has us believe he is, I'm suprised he never made the connection. Or maybe it's just me who sees it...
As it happens I thought BP was a better game by far even if it bugged out alot.

Oh and even though it's been explained 3 or 4 times now, he was putting on the accent as a running joke to mock the games laughable african accents. He didn't have a cold or anything, just a sense of humor.

I wonder if he'll skip the Gears2 review in favour of the new Lord Of The Rings game. It seems like the kind of thing he would do just to be...well...Yahtzee really. Unless of course he was once again asked to review it by "4000 bleeting lambs". Priceless.

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
hoov said:
I had to register, because something is confusing me.

Are people in this thread joking when they keep asking "what's with the accent" I realise maybe some younger members of the forum may not be so familiar with south african accents, but it was explained pretty clearly in the video that that's what he was doing.

And several people have asked about it, and it's been explained several times by various people that, he was doing a south african accent, and yet some people seem to be unable to grasp this very simple concept. So I can only assume people are either joking or must have severe learning difficulties. Is it that some people only listen to the swear words, and just sort of blank out the rest because they find it too confusing?

How about actually reading the thread, instead of just posting the first thought that pops into your confused little head and just skipping over any comments that don't seem to be responding to your own post.

I will say the accent was overdone and it seemed like he was just doing it because he was struggling to think of any other jokes, but I enjoyed the review nonetheless.
I think that some people don't even bother to watch the video, they're more eager to post how funny it was, or how ZP is not "what it used to be". Either that or they hardly pay attention to what Yahtzee is saying and they're just watching the cartoons.

ZenNz29

Jan 17, 2009
Was expecting Gears2 also, but this was still hilarious....take THAT fictionesia...Yahtzee does it again...except for the Dan Brown reference...not cool

Wurmbollie

Jan 21, 2009
tooktook said:
mokes310 said:
My sentiments exactly, although, Yahtzee is a bit more eloquent than I am, and much more talented with the South African accent.

My time to Shine! I live in Cape Town South Africa and the accent he was imitating was the Afrikaans accent (The Afrikaans were the white rulers during Apartheid, now the country is 80% black) and he did an awful job. In places it was passable but it really did suck.

Also, it made playing Far Cry 2 that much more painful as the accents in that game are equally bad.
I don't doubt that you live in Cape Town, but you are not a South African. No South African would say "now the country is 80% black". The black people have always been the majority, it's just the law no longer discriminates against them, so they were voted into parliament.

You are right about his accent, in that he did a terrible job, that was a aussie accent through and through (I found his attempt funny though). The two lines of Afrikaans in the game sound like people from Pretoria did the voices, so the accent is quite authentic.

I'm a white, Afrikaans as mother tongue, South African, I can translate the words above the guy's head at the start of the review, but since this site is PG-13 I won't. Anyway good review, summed up my thoughts on the game quite accurately.