Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 3

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Well that does it. I was already considering buying this game, but my large pile of backlogged games made me hesitant.

But when a Yahtzee review states that a game is fun right off the bat, you can expect to be entertained. Curse you, ZP. Still, I probably won't be able to get around to playing Far Cry 3 for quite some time. Woe is me, right?

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
jehk said:
I really am the only person who hated this game. I've never played a modern military shooter so maybe this is good by comparison. Skyrim with guns this game is not.
No that would be fallout 3/newvegas with mods
True that. I was suckered in thinking this game would be more like those. Oh well.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
The most important thing about driving is to remember that bridge guard rails are destructible. Especially when driving that South African Golf, because it handles like... um... a South African Golf.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
GunsmithKitten said:
Anyway, I'm just glad that he didn't take the racism angle with this one like some folks in the forum did.
Yeah, seriously. It's kind of funny that military shooters get condemned as Mein-Kampf racial power fantasies because they have Third World terrorists as the villains, but the game where you play a white middle-class college douchebag who ends up (over the course of a week or so) becoming a mythical warrior-king leading the oppressed natives in revolt and nailing a dusky-eyed island hottie doesn't merit a batted eyelash.

The game does sound good, though. And here I thought I'd have some breathing space to work on my unfinished games backlog.

Dammit, Yahtzee, you charismatic stallion! >.<

Maszynow

Nov 25, 2012
If you want to get back in shape (of hating stuff) you can reach for the most obscure of methods: play a J-RPG or the newest Mario game. It's guaranteed to "lighten" up your spirits.

Although it might be classified as BDSM or torture, providing this question might change the classification to philosophical dilemma: Which one of the above is it?

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
jehk said:
I really am the only person who hated this game. I've never played a modern military shooter so maybe this is good by comparison. Skyrim with guns this game is not.
I actually think that is a very inaccurate comparison, the only thing they have in common is the open world-ness, the wildlife, and the clearing of enemy strongholds. It doesn't go on forever the way Skyrim has the potential too, after all the missions the only thing to do is really play games like poker and knife throwing or just drive around killing animals and an occasional enemy. Great game, but a horrible comparison by far.

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
First time I've disagreed with Yahtzee in a while. I thought it was alright too, but more "...alright" then just regular 'alright'. The side content is shallow and repetitive beyond the hunting which I liked but doesn't last. And the story is pretentious and haphazard. The releases at the start of this year were more starved than ever and I have a feeling that's contributing to Yahtzee looking at everything a little more kindly. Or maybe it's because I don't play boring modern shooters.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Keith Fraser said:
So it's a sandbox game involving stealthy combat, with a dark and cynical character arc? Somehow I'm not surprised Yahtzee liked it. If jetpacks were involved he'd probably proclaim it Game of the Year. :p

(Also, is it just me or does the plot sound a lot like that of the upcoming new Tomb Raider, except with a guy instead of a girl?)
OH, it gets pretty outright tomb raidery for one section. Probably my personal low point for the game (Where it forces you into straight up fighting pirates who're somehow in a sealed temple you just unsealed, ahead of you)

CaptainOctopus

Oct 5, 2011
I think all these shitty modern military shooters have started to rotten peoples brains, or maybe the standards are now so low that this game can somehow be considered to be a great. Maybe I?m wrong but all I see when I look at FC3 is a mediocre snoozefest, with all the typical bad gameplay, boring missions, sloppy leveldesign, unimaginative weapons, lame enemies, no challenge, no depth and much of the other typical awfulness you come to expect from todays fps games. Sure, some parts of the game doesn?t look as bad as you might expect but that still doesn?t make something great, it only makes it somewhat better compared to crap like MW3.

AcidSnow

Nov 7, 2012
I'm roughly 7 or 8 Radio Towers into the game, and I'm really enjoying it so far. ...I never played any of the previous FarCry games, but I'm glad that I'm playing this one. The one complaint I have about the game so far, is this: shuffling through the menu & inventory, it feels cumbersome -- at least the game prompts you when you've acquired the materials needed to craft something!

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I liked FC3, however -

Two things would have fixed the problems Yahtzee mentioned and made it better:

1. Make it so you can't get to certain main-quest areas without liberating the enemy outposts in your path. It's ridiculous that you can get a new quest located in an area surrounded by enemy outposts and then be able to "quick-travel" there.
2. More skills/abilities or make them harder to achieve. Leveling up was too quick. When I finished the game I hadn't been to half the map and had liberated about 1/3 of outposts and radio towers, yet I had all the skills.

Vaas should have been the main villain. I think the developers completed the storyline and realized it was too short and so tacked on a higher-up guy who was less interesting.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I have been teetering on the fence about buying fc3,
mostly because I have several other games already on my buy list. not to mention I am still getting a lot of entertainment from skyrim and it seems a bit silly to buy another sandbox when I am still playing skyrim.

also I disagree with the banana thing I think its just his popularty and awesomness showing
pretty much everyone I meet who plays video games knows about yatzee so I think hes just starting to effect stuff

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
canadamus_prime said:
Casual Shinji said:
canadamus_prime said:
A tiger with ties to Al Quida, now there's a thought. lol!
It's not just a thought, it's full blown duo on a magic carpet.

...what? What is that from?
Alfred Jodocus Kwak

A Dutch/Japanese cartoon from the late 80's about a duck named Alfred who gets into all kinds of political, racial, and environmental situations. It even has Hitler as a crow.
Never heard of it. Sounds wacky though.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I wasn't really all that hyped on this game when it was first announced, but now I must say that it is definetely on my wishlist.