Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 3

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Hah, I can't decide if I like Yahtzee's reviews better when he loathes the game or when he likes it. He may have to crank up the hatred soon or people will start complaining.

BloodRed Pixel said:
Am I getting old or was this the most positive ZP review ever (since HL)?
Well, 'since Half Life' maybe, but his most positive review by far was Psychonauts.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Elois said:
gardian06 said:
Andy Shandy said:
what?, how? NOOOOOOOOOO.
I can see why they were never aired, and I wouldn't be surprised if these contract creators wanted their money back if retainers were given.
They aren't really rejected cartoons, this is a story written by Don about a fictional Don who crashes and burns as a cartoonist. Supposedly it symbolizes the end of his era or something.
Yeah, there's a weird kind of genius to it, once you watch the whole thing. Or, at least, there's just enough there to give the illusion of a cohesive theme, though it'd probably take a couple viewings to parse it all out.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
bificommander said:
Well, whadaya know, a positive review. Cool. Might check it out during the winter steamsale, but my cash influx is a bit too low to buy it full-priced ATM.

I was surprised that Yatzhee didn't mention a point of critique I read in my game magazine, which is that while our hero gets a storyarc in which he becomes increasingly badass-yet-unhinged, the actual gameplay lets you mow down baddies from the word go. You may not have offscreen special forces training, but given how well the hero handles a kalashnikov at full auto he might as well. They made it sound like it would have been a good idea to implement the original Deus Ex's skill system.

Now I wonder if my game magazine was just whining or if Yathzee is really turning into a soft banana. Anyone here who played the game care to shed some light on this? Did you feel a disconnect between the protagonist's character and actions?
Funnily enough that was my major gripe with the Deus Ex series. Don't get me wrong, the first is one of my favorite games of all time. But it was a real break of immersion for me to believe that right from the very beginning JC Denton is supposed to be a billion dollar scientific miracle and trained as an elite super soldier. He started off in the game not even able shoot a human sized target 20 feet away or hold his breath underwater for more than 20 seconds. I recall exploiting a glitch during my first play through at the X51 base where using a keypad gave you experience points every time you right clicked, and maxed out my character. Likewise in Human Revolution why you needed to eat Energy Bars just to punch someone once.

It seems as if Far Cry and Deus Ex could swap their experience systems. But personally as someone who grew up in the Quake era, I prefer gaining experience through just learning through getting familiar with the game as opposed to a number value that you had to increase.

Hekler

Nov 13, 2012
I've really enjoyed FC3, it's been a damn good experience. 32 hours in and I'm only half way (Hardest Difficulty).

PC users might get frustrated with the console optimised menu system. Great for a controller, pretty inefficient with a mouse and keyboard.

Recommended.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
This is genius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSm8LO5mEoI

I am glad Robbaz is getting better after having a break.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
You know I was thinking the same thing about alot of games lately. By the time you get the cool gear the game is pretty much over.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
GoddyofAus said:
I've lost count how many times I've been scoping out an Enemy Outpost only to have the wildlife rush in and steal the show.

Awesome game.
Indeed. For me that moment came when I was scouting an enemy camp and got attacked by these large aggressive Ostrich-like birds (I know, doesn't sound very dangerous - but they were. Could take down a man in 2 hits) and whilst running away from them and noticing them chase me I lured them in to the enemy camp where they proceeded to peck the shit out of all the troops there.

Personally I love the story and the interactive cut-scenes. They are really well done and set the tone nicely. One of the few games where I was looking forward to the cut-scenes.
One of the best FPS stories I've played.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Duffeknol said:
Mr.Tea said:
Duffeknol said:
Really Yahtzee? After complaining about only getting a wingsuit in one mission in Blops 2 and then writing about it again in Extra Punctuation you make NO mention of the fact that this game gives you a fucking wingsuit to use WHENEVER YOU WANT? Really? Weak.

Glad you like the game, though. It's brilliant.
...Wat?

Not only did he mention the glider and that he liked using it, he also said that where other games only gave you the best toys for one boss at the end, this one lets you play around with them all you want. And he makes multiple comparisons to CoD games... What more do you want?
I'm not talking about the glider. I'm specifically talking about the wingsuit. I was waiting for a mention of the wingsuit, because that exact thing has been mentioned by him many times now. When I noticed Far Cry 3 had one I thought it was funny because Yahtzee was complaining about how that exact thing was missing from Blops.

Meh.
I KNOW!! The wing suit changes the damn game! I spent more time looking for places to climb up so I could wingsuit over a checkpoint and land on a pearch mark everyone and then start picking them off. I did that more than anything else in the game beacuse it is a fantastic gameplay mechanic and makes the whole game more enjoyable.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
The Youth Counselor said:
Funnily enough that was my major gripe with the Deus Ex series. Don't get me wrong, the first is one of my favorite games of all time. But it was a real break of immersion for me to believe that right from the very beginning JC Denton is supposed to be a billion dollar scientific miracle and trained as an elite super soldier. He started off in the game not even able shoot a human sized target 20 feet away or hold his breath underwater for more than 20 seconds. I recall exploiting a glitch during my first play through at the X51 base where using a keypad gave you experience points every time you right clicked, and maxed out my character. Likewise in Human Revolution why you needed to eat Energy Bars just to punch someone once.

It seems as if Far Cry and Deus Ex could swap their experience systems. But personally as someone who grew up in the Quake era, I prefer gaining experience through just learning through getting familiar with the game as opposed to a number value that you had to increase.
I almost always do something like that. It's a good way to have the story and character interactions from an RPG without having to suffer through fake difficulty every time you want to replay as a different character or spend hours on dull XP-grinding quests.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
FC2 is more bland FC3 tries a tiny bit harder to be better. Tho I'd still rather have SCI FI or fantasy sand box shooter and not realistic based wonkyness like Crysis. And for the record I still like FC1 more.

Starker

Mar 17, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
Am I getting old or was this the most positive ZP review ever (since HL)?
Well, 'since Half Life' maybe, but his most positive review by far was Psychonauts.

"Lastly, there's Portal, and if you're a regular viewer you'll understand how insane these words feel coming out of my mouth, but I can't think of any criticism for it. /.../ Absolutely sublime from start to finish and I will jam forks into my eyes if I ever use those words to describe anything else ever again."

TwentyPercentCooler

Jul 28, 2012
After not being impressed with FC1 or 2 (besides how good the first one looked), I too was rather impressed by 3. I did side missions/exploration/hunting because it was fun, not because I absolutely had to.

My one complaint: the "heavies" that take two headshots. GRAAAAHHHHHHH! Nothing will ever take more than one headshot from a high-power rifle round. STOP IT!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
franksands said:
He is indeed becoming soft, he did even call BLOPs and CoD shooters isntead of spunk gargle weewee
Hey, you're right! Although he did compare BLOPS II to "a cum bubble", however that works.
I remember an early trailer (from the VGA's or E3, not sure) for FarCry 3, opening on the player character making a big speech to a tribe of natives after getting up from a round of ritual sex with a woman with no hair, and Vaas leading you down a corridor lines with TV screens (maybe that was different trailer?) and I'm thinking "Dafuq did I just watch?" I hate it when game devs do that, unless the goal was to drive me as crazy as the main caharcter gets? Well played.

On another note, how are all the FarCry games connected? Each one seems to have almost nothing to do with the others, like Final Fantasy.